• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

J.A. Michell record clamp, opinions ??

darksolstice

Active Member
well, after the cables thread hope this goes well :D
I have a Technics SL-D turntable and I'm thinking seriously about getting the
J.A. Michell record clamp and wondered what people here thought about it, should I expect any noticeable difference ? it looks like this is the best option for my turntable, should I even get it at all?
 
Register to hide this ad
The one I use works well, will flatten mildly warped records. The knurled knob that tightens the clamp, also makes a nice high friction surface to assist my TT when I start it up. No negatives that I have noticed.
 
I too have been looking at two of their clamps and wondered if they are worth the 60 bucks from a vendor on Ebay. . I like the black one with silver knob. Hope it fits my Pioneer PL-518 series TT.
 
I use one with my VPI Traveler, it definitely helped to tighten up the bass a bit, nothing earth shattering but noticeable. I also like that it helps with less than flat records; at $60 I would say it is a worthwhile purchase.
 
Maybe a mod can help us understand that. It's terrible and I just don't use it any longer.

I did not want to say anything as they just did a server upgrade etc.....expensive so I hope they sort out the small data base (or ??) in the search feature. YMMV on that. Sometimes it's hit and miss with it. :scratch2:
 
You need to be careful and not get a clamp that would be heavier than the Michell. In order to accomodate a heavier clamp, you have to consider your tables suspension, especially if your table is not modded, and the platter because the more weight you add could damage your table.

IMHO you need something if you have LPs that are slightly warped, which would help the lifespan of your cartridge. This is my opinion and YMMV. :music:
 
I used the michell for a while with an LP12. Was happy with the results, and as stated, it was useful as a starter for the platter. I use a Thorens 124 as my primary deck now, so the Michell is less compatible. If it were, I'd likely still be using it.
 
I own one and use it with thin or warped albums. With heavy gram albums I do not use. I am please with how it performs I cannot definitively say its improves the sound of the thinner albums but it does flatten warped albums to the mat/platter, so it serves its purpose. I have ARXA tables and did not want to place a heavier weight on the suspension. The clamp is lighter and achieves the same results in my opinion for my setup.
 
I use the Michell and can recommend it. As mine came used without the felt reflex spacer I use an 'O' ring on the spindle under the record when I need to flatten warped or dished records.
 
Back
Top Bottom