• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

jaymanaa / Urizen's Amp Project

Status
Not open for further replies.
Are those the same socket tubes as a 7591? There are some VERY nice socket tubes that a place on Ebay sells. Machined and gold plated pin sockets. Not the poor quality stock style crimped ones. I have a spare 500c that I planned on having redone with a bunch of cool parts like this.
IMAGE SUPPRESSED

Those don't actually work that great - the pins have no flex/spring to them (they bend), and can have trouble with contact after changing a few tubes. The old style seems to work pretty dad gum good. I like the new belton ones from AES or NOS amphenols if I can get 'em.
 
Man, if you hadn't said it was homebrew, I'd have guessed (primarily from the way the holes were drilled next to the output tubes) that it was a Stromberg-Carlson. Yeah, whoever built that definitely was a DIY hot-shoe! :D

Regards,
Gordon.
 
Those don't actually work that great - the pins have no flex/spring to them (they bend), and can have trouble with contact after changing a few tubes. The old style seems to work pretty dad gum good. I like the new belton ones from AES or NOS amphenols if I can get 'em.

Belton and Amphenol == good. :thmbsp:

In fact... many times, I'd rather re-use good Micalex or Micanol type sockets, than replace them with new ones. Unless they've been burnt up, they're usually better quality, even now, than many of the new "generic" replacements...

Regards,
Gordon.
 
Homebrew:scratch2:

There was an outfit out of Wisconsin that sold a kit amp that looked like that and for the life of me, I can't remember their name. They used to brag up what great transformers they used which I think were built by Hammond.
 
I wanted to post another pic of this power TX, it's absolutely massive. I have no doubt that it could run KT 90s, it's just too bad that nobody's making a good one. :no:

Hey Ken, how about hammered copper for the chassis?:scratch2: I could do a test hunk to see how it looks. I'd like to have the chassis shiny enough to reflect the filaments.:yes:
 
Last edited:
I betchya that thing is about as heavy as a gold bar!

Not that I'd know what one weighs...I'm just saying.
 
Hey Ken, how about hammered copper for the chassis?:scratch2: I could do a test hunk to see how it looks. I'd like to have the chassis shiny enough to reflect the filaments.:yes:

Sure, I was thinkin' either hammered bronze or copper. That chassis cleaned up nicely!:thmbsp:
 
Thanks for the links Micah. Am I reading that right, that the 22S39 is a 20W output? They look much bigger than that??:scratch2:
 
With the size of this PT, I don't doubt that we will be able to wring out 50 or 60 per channel (realistically).:yes: Time will tell.

Stupid newb question. I see by Micah's (thanks!) Thordarson chart that these outputs are rated at 20 WPC. How do you wring 50 to 60 WPC out of 'em?:scratch2:

edit: you beat me to it, Jay.
 
I dunno, I assumed they were bigger than that. They show 100ma primary, so there's some cipherin to be done. I wish they would have had the "at what frequency and -db" info on that chart too. Hell, it might be 20 watts, but flat to 10hz or something.
 
Thanks for the links Micah. Am I reading that right, that the 22S39 is a 20W output? They look much bigger than that??:scratch2:

Yup, but I would assume that 20W is at its full range of frequencies. You can surely squeeze more power out with a sacrifice in bass and HF. Check out the power specs on the TO-300 to see what it has. I wouldn't be surprised if they were the same transformer, but I donno for sure.
 
Yup, but I would assume that 20W is at its full range of frequencies. You can surely squeeze more power out with a sacrifice in bass and HF. Check out the power specs on the TO-300 to see what it has. I wouldn't be surprised if they were the same transformer, but I donno for sure.

Yep, see my "overpost" right above. It also says "6L6' on the can too, so I assume (once again) that it will handle anything a pair of 6L6s could dish out. I'll do like you say and compare it to the 300. I would like to stay with at least the EL34s, which I would think if things were "tuned in", you could get ~ 50 watts a side out of???
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom