• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

jaymanaa / Urizen's Amp Project

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ken, any ideas on spikker choices?

I have very few speakers that won't perform well with 20 WPC of clean power, and I don't listen at super loud levels. It'll be interesting to hear how the BK-16 sound with some more watts behind them, and it will have more than enough power for the KG-4, ADS L710 and Polk 10B. Can we have both 4 and 8 ohm taps?
 
Oh yeh, you get 4, 8, and 16ohm taps.:yes: Here's a couple wood choices; the left is Cumyran Chestnut, and the right is that Santos Mahogony. There's always your standard oak too.:dunno:
 
Last edited:
Those don't actually work that great - the pins have no flex/spring to them (they bend), and can have trouble with contact after changing a few tubes. The old style seems to work pretty dad gum good. I like the new belton ones from AES or NOS amphenols if I can get 'em.

You are right on that. i should also ad that the the retaining ring on those cheap, overpriced chinese made sockets (like the ones that are shown in the pictures) have a nasty habit of breaking & can drop on the connecting lugs & short them out. i had to do a major repair to a amp that used these sockets. two of them broke, shorted, & burned a few resistors up.

amphenols are the ONLY way to go.
 
Well Ken, we gotta start somewhere. Here's the Aluminum chassis with all the dings hammered out and a good coat of ruddy brown primer. The outputs are in primer too, and they turned out very slick.:scratch2:
 
Last edited:
into a big low DCR choke 33 ohms, and lots-o-capacitance.

Jay,

I see your getting the idea here :yes:

Nice restoration work to :thmbsp:, Love those Taiwan sockets!:yes: Pricey but some of the nicest I have ever seen.:D

SET12
 
Here's the chassis all straightened out and painted. I'm thinking maybe a hammered black on the TXs.:scratch2: Anyhow, now to dig out the saws.:yes:
 
Last edited:
First check out this leather brown sample, it may be just enough "different". Remember too, the TXs are slick, all the pitting came out. Also, my corner clamping set-up.:D
 
Last edited:
I'm starting to get a plan together.:yes: This will give you a vague idea of where it's going. The huge motor runs were the only electronic device I could find, big enough to "camouflage" the ugly PT.:D This thing is going to be BIG and HEAVY, so probably best not to ship it anywhere. You can snag it when you grab me for the fest.:yes:
 
Last edited:
I'm starting to get a plan together.:yes: This will give you a vague idea of where it's going. The huge motor runs were the only electronic device I could find, big enough to "camouflage" the ugly PT.:D This thing is going to be BIG and HEAVY, so probably best not to ship it anywhere. You can snag it when you grab me for the fest.:yes:

What value are those motor run oil caps Jay?

RC
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom