• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

JBL, Lansing Old, I need help understanding what I have.

I hate to part things out--especially rare and/or vintage items, but I have done it. If too many things need repaired/replaced to justify the cost of restoration, I salvage what I can and pitch the rest--we all need those "unobtainium" parts from time to time, and this is ultimately where they come from. In this case (provided that all 4 drivers work), I'd refinish the cabinets (a good winter project) and put them on the market intact. Some would even pull the drivers and part them out and then refinish/repurpose the cabinets as end tables--seen it done before. I know someone with an old stripped-out console that now serves as a liquor cabinet/minibar.
 
I have a pair of these cabinets and several sets of speakers with the JBL 030 load. In my opinion these cabinets are too small for that setup, they sound much better in a bigger enclosure. Even in a less than ideal size I bet they still sound pretty good.
Yes, they sound much better in the C37 or C35 than in the C36 or C38 cabinets.
 
To be clear, I'm not saying don't part them out. I'm just suggesting to try a CL ad first as is with roughly the same price you would get parting them out. Maybe someone will bite. If not, then part them out.
 
To be clear, I'm not saying don't part them out. I'm just suggesting to try a CL ad first as is with roughly the same price you would get parting them out. Maybe someone will bite. If not, then part them out.

Agree on this.

To the op..Chances are, you will only get lowball offers on CL, but it's worth posting them. Those cabinets are ugly, and not the modern style most people are looking for. I think you will have to offer the cabs for free just to get rid of them after parting them out. I wouldn't spend any time messing with refurbing them, unless you desire a project and have use for them.
 
Last edited:
They are definitely NOT DIY--Acousti-Craft was a known builder of custom speaker cabinets. DIY is two guys in the garage with a couple saws, a sheet of plywood and a quart of stain.

Yeah LOL I noticed in context when I read the rest of your post. I can't imagine the white was the original finish though. If so, then "yeeesh" even more :)

I am with you though. No matter how ugly, I get a little pain in my heart that's not from all the horrible dietary choices I've made whenever I see something original and "restorable" parted out.

I would hope the op can sell them on as -is or restore them if he wants a fun project. If they are original cabinets then they (and the acoustic properties that preserve the historical sound of them) should be kept intact.

EDIT... giving it a little more thought, if these were in my garage, I might try and figure out a way to "resto-mod" them and keep the cabinet (and the sound) intact while updating the look to something more mid-century modern. It might not be that hard to re-do some of the accent wood and get a real nice clean looking speaker. Some sanding and a light stain and new white speaker cloth might look really nice.
 
They are definitely NOT DIY--Acousti-Craft was a known builder of custom speaker cabinets. DIY is two guys in the garage with a couple saws, a sheet of plywood and a quart of stain.
I've seen some very,very nice speaker cabs on ebay that were made by Acoustic-Craft.
 
Back
Top Bottom