• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

JBL speakers are they really that good?

That's a tiny list. So you ain't heard much of anything in jbl land.
In ekmanning5's list the only one I like are the Jubal mostly for that 2405.
 
Last edited:
I owned L100s, the full HT1THX system, a pair of L19s, and some others with mostly titanium tweeters, can't remember off the top of my head... I sold them all, never liked their sound at all.
Neither of you has owned what most knowledgeable JBL folk would call great examples. I'd not base the whole brand on such experience. L100 is "fake but fun". The rest are mid-level to Circuit City level stuff that I wouldn't cross the road for. Pick any of these from $100 to $3,000. I own them all, or multiples of them—and more—just because! Some punch way above their weight-class.
4412
L112
L96
L150A
L20T
L1
L3
L5
L7
LSR305
250Ti
4345
 
Last edited:
Those of us that like the JBL sound know that there are many different flavors to it. My collection is small compared to many of you, but I know what I like and enjoy them.
L200t3
L166
4301
L19
520C
 
Are they really that good? I reckon so.

Objectively speaking, there’s really no question about the quality, more about the price and value. And that is pretty much determined by the marketplace. As long as there are more people wanting to buy them than there are those willing to sell them, the price goes up.

I’ve owned only 3 pairs of JBLs in my life: L26, then L100, then 4430 (1982-present). Subjectively speaking, they have all sounded great. But how they sound can be adjusted somewhat by means of the L-pads, and a systems other dynamics.

My only regret is this: back in ‘82, I couldda wouldda shouldda opted for 4435 vs. 4430. I had the opportunity to purchase whatever I wanted at 10% over cost from an audio company on my (UPS) route.
 
I owned L100s, the full HT1THX system, a pair of L19s, and some others with mostly titanium tweeters, can't remember off the top of my head... I sold them all, never liked their sound at all.
I do have one pair that I've kept AND use semi-regularly; L-100t3's. I pair them with a Pioneer SX-1250 and for what I use them for, mainly classic rock and the like, they're keepers.
 
Whats the big fuss about older JBL speaker? I notice that many people seem to pay a lot of money for older JBL speakers, like the L100's and others. Whats the big deal about them, they don't seem like they are that good. For the same price I have seen and purchased much better speakers IMO. How could a simple three way ported speakers compare to a line source or good electrostatic panel pair of speakers.
I own JBL L1, two pair L3,L5,L20T,L100T3,L100t and L200T3, oh a pair of L46.

The quality of JBL’s woofers and tweeters almost stand alone in quality. They are also incredibly flat in frequency response. They are a pleasure to listen to and to put them on a graph. They are the most flat and accurate that I’ve sampled. They also have a method of crossover voicing that I really enjoy listening to.

I also own a large horde of RBH reference, Hafler 300, KEF C-80, Mission Argonauts, Infinity Zu Audio Cube.

I always end up listening to a JBL.
 
I owned L100s, the full HT1THX system, a pair of L19s, and some others with mostly titanium tweeters, can't remember off the top of my head... I sold them all, never liked their sound at all.
Had L100s myself - never understood the fascination - fixed them up pretty and dumped for crazy money.
The L100T was greatly superior. Had 2 pair over the years, updated with T3 crossovers.
Most of the better JBLs I've had were larger models - L200, 240ti ... 434x Monitors ... even some L212s. and finally, the B460 sub I wanted for years and finally found 2 years back!

And the UREI 809 on top of it? - its got coaxial JBL drivers inside.


B460_7708.jpg
 
Last edited:
My impression of JBL sound is a punchy bright sound that does pop music well. Bass doesn't go really low, and they can make a violin sound as if it were strung with piano wire and bowed with a hacksaw. For pop, music, though, they rock.
 
My impression of JBL sound is a punchy bright sound that does pop music well. Bass doesn't go really low, and they can make a violin sound as if it were strung with piano wire and bowed with a hacksaw. For pop, music, though, they rock.
Low? Depends on the model. My L200s go pretty low. Windows rattle, the air moves.
 
I have had;
L77
L99
L65
L45
L100
L55
L19
and L29's
I have sold every pair. I didn't care for them. Sometimes I wonder however, if it was the not caring for them, or the payoff I knew was coming when I sold them, that caused me to let them go. :scratch2:

L46 for me & my Sansui G5500 reciever....perfect
 
I heard the Everest speakers at 2010 RMAF. They were the best sound of the entire show (IMO). Wow.
I heard them twice at the now defunct RMAF.Probably around the same time you did.First time they were in the Atrium.They were demonstrating compression in sound at the time.Second time they were setup in one of the rooms that were way too small for those speakers.It was the first time my ears hurt from listening to a stereo.I had to get out of that room fast.In saying this neither time or space was optimal for those speakers.
 
I heard them twice at the now defunct RMAF.Probably around the same time you did.First time they were in the Atrium.They were demonstrating compression in sound at the time.Second time they were setup in one of the rooms that were way too small for those speakers.It was the first time my ears hurt from listening to a stereo.I had to get out of that room fast.In saying this neither time or space was optimal for those speakers.

Yes, almost all, if not all rooms were way too small for a show of this type. I was with Frank Van Alstine at the 2010 show with Jim Salk and we did find places in the room to demo Jim's speakers, but it took some time to find happy places for them.

I hear the JBLs at a more tempered level. You could tell that they would just get louder and louder (without compressing).
 
My impression of JBL sound is a punchy bright sound that does pop music well. Bass doesn't go really low, and they can make a violin sound as if it were strung with piano wire and bowed with a hacksaw. For pop, music, though, they rock.
Yeah, the 18-inch woofers in my 4-ways in my living room are the same driver the original iMax systems used as subs. So, sure, no low-end!

40109667160_04d93bd417_c.jpg
 
Last edited:
I am exceedingly happy with my L150As! Substantial bottom end, clear highs and mids and you can crank them to high levels and they still sound great. So yeah, they are worth it IMHO.
 
Back
Top Bottom