• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

JBL Summit Speakers Online Auction in Las Vegas

Yes but that is subjective and does not change the objective fact that holy grail, SOTA, unobtanium speakers starts out at $50k. If you want a less expensive audio route I would say headphones but even the holy grail there is getting well into 5 figures anymore.

Luckily I was able to DIY my Holy Grail speakers for much less than $50k. Come to think of it, I saved enough $ to buy a a bunch of neat stuff for around the house. Honey, of course we can afford it...I saved $45k on my speakers :) Wahoo! :rockon:
 
Luckily I was able to DIY my Holy Grail speakers for much less than $50k. Come to think of it, I saved enough $ to buy a a bunch of neat stuff for around the house. Honey, of course we can afford it...I saved $45k on my speakers :) Wahoo! :rockon:


Oh, I have to try that one! "But honey, we can afford that McIntosh Reference system now that we saved a ton of money by switching to Geico! " :biggrin:
 
Even though this debate seems to me a bit silly (and, as noted above, subjective), just for the fun of it, I will continue to play:

The OP referred to the Summit as the "Holy Grail of vintage speakers," so I am thinking of only vintage speakers. And, for me (again, subjectively), "vintage" means equipment that was around when I first started lusting after audio gear (as Peter Egan once wrote about vintage cars, people tend to lust after the top cars of their youth, and ignore earlier models).
Obviously we are in agreement, but not only on this topic. To me, Peter Egan is one of the best writers on autos and bikes who really reaches into my experiences to turn them into poetry. I'm proud to see my friend for whom I got his first journalism gig, Sam Smith, follow down that same road to turning my own thoughts and experiences into words that I can point to and say, "Yeah, see there? That's how I feel, too!"
 
What is objective about preference? Every person picks their own grail, just like they pick their own religion (or lack of it). There are people out there, and experienced and well informed people mind you, whose grail costs much less than 50k--a set of Altec A5s for example. Or Harbeth Monitor 40s if you want a conventional example.

It is not about preference but price. Every person does have subjective holy grail. Nobody has an objective holy grail and considering the most expensive speakers are around $500k last time I checked I honestly think I'm being generous at $50k holy grail start. You can shoot the messenger if you want but I would suggest getting into a less expensive hobby if this sort of thing bothers you.

If the Summits pass for holy grail then next thing you know some generic inexpensive speakers are going to pass for holy grail which is the exact opposite of what holy grail means...at least to me.
 
Luckily I was able to DIY my Holy Grail speakers for much less than $50k. Come to think of it, I saved enough $ to buy a a bunch of neat stuff for around the house. Honey, of course we can afford it...I saved $45k on my speakers :) Wahoo! :rockon:

My wife uses the same logic on a frequent basis to justify shoes, handbags, and other items. When she makes a face over an audio purchase I use the same argument and point out that my annual hobby purchases (not just audio) total less than her discretionary ones and mine can be resold for the majority of what I paid. She still tends to win...
 
Just checked, just for fun, and the top bid on these right now is at $150.00 for each one. One never knows, but I suspect those speakers might look really good. Seems the homeowner built custom cabinetry into the house with those exact speakers in mind, then just slid them in. If bought new that would make them mint! I had a shot at a pair of Summits last summer. Could have had them for $1000 at an estate sale. I walked into a large room of this old Catskills mansion and they were sitting there in the middle of the space. I had heard of these and was amazed that I had stumbled on a pair....seemed meant to be. The people in charge let me take all the time I wanted, alone mind you, to check them out. I hooked them up to an NAD amp and ran my iPod into them. Did they sound good? Sure. But how much better than my pair of 110's? I don't know. In the end I left empty handed, feeling lucky that I was able to spend a couple hours listening to a pair or rare birds. I suspect if more folks had the chance to audition "holy grail" speakers the way I did less would end up opening their wallets. Sometimes, like while reading this thread, I regret not grabbing them.
 
If the Summits pass for holy grail then next thing you know some generic inexpensive speakers are going to pass for holy grail which is the exact opposite of what holy grail means...at least to me.

Yes, to you. But if somebody's idea of a holy grail is an inexpensive speaker that's their affair and needn't meet with your approval and it's absurd to say people don't desire what they, in fact, desire. And I think making desirability dependent on price is superficial thinking. For one thing it doesn't account for speakers of a type which by their nature are simpler and less expensive as a system than more complex types.
 
And some folks Do jump in and try out a pair of interesting speakers and enjoy them for a while,
then release them back into the stream and try another pair for a while ...
Its a lot of fun - and less regrets!

Just checked, just for fun, and the top bid on these right now is at $150.00 for each one. One never knows, but I suspect those speakers might look really good. Seems the homeowner built custom cabinetry into the house with those exact speakers in mind, then just slid them in. If bought new that would make them mint! I had a shot at a pair of Summits last summer. Could have had them for $1000 at an estate sale. I walked into a large room of this old Catskills mansion and they were sitting there in the middle of the space. I had heard of these and was amazed that I had stumbled on a pair....seemed meant to be. The people in charge let me take all the time I wanted, alone mind you, to check them out. I hooked them up to an NAD amp and ran my iPod into them. Did they sound good? Sure. But how much better than my pair of 110's? I don't know. In the end I left empty handed, feeling lucky that I was able to spend a couple hours listening to a pair or rare birds. I suspect if more folks had the chance to audition "holy grail" speakers the way I did less would end up opening their wallets. Sometimes, like while reading this thread, I regret not grabbing them.
 
Just checked, just for fun, and the top bid on these right now is at $150.00 for each one. One never knows, but I suspect those speakers might look really good. Seems the homeowner built custom cabinetry into the house with those exact speakers in mind, then just slid them in. If bought new that would make them mint! I had a shot at a pair of Summits last summer. Could have had them for $1000 at an estate sale. I walked into a large room of this old Catskills mansion and they were sitting there in the middle of the space. I had heard of these and was amazed that I had stumbled on a pair....seemed meant to be. The people in charge let me take all the time I wanted, alone mind you, to check them out. I hooked them up to an NAD amp and ran my iPod into them. Did they sound good? Sure. But how much better than my pair of 110's? I don't know. In the end I left empty handed, feeling lucky that I was able to spend a couple hours listening to a pair or rare birds. I suspect if more folks had the chance to audition "holy grail" speakers the way I did less would end up opening their wallets. Sometimes, like while reading this thread, I regret not grabbing them.

There were a pair of Hartsfelds found like this a few years back - the cabs hadn't been seen or touched since they were new. Likely qualifies as a Grail for most of us.

Something to keep in mind with the Summits you looked at - the dampening foam in the LE-85's had likely broken down and needed replacement. This really affects sound quality since that horn covers 800 Hz to around 5,000 Hz. Some of what a Summit gives you that your 110's can't is dynamic range and speed. It's also a high efficiency large format speaker that can fill a large space with ease. Set up properly and with the right music you would have had a different experience. FWIW I prefer the 4430 to the Summit in a horn loaded JBL because of their incredible sound stage.
 
So with all this holy grail business aside for just a moment, would it just be me that would be nervous about bidding indivually on these with separate bids? As much as I would love a pair of Summits, having just one would present a rather large problem. Logically people would bid the same on both speakers so the winner would naturally take home both, but just my luck someone would need just one for any number of reasons and outbid me. As much as I believe these to be my holy grail, they would turn into a a huge pita if I won only one.
 
Pretty funny, I just threw out the holy grail reference without thinking about it too much--it occurred to me because I had just read something about how maybe the New York Times used to limit that term to things that were actually of a religious nature, but now allow it to be used for secular objects as well. No idea I would spark a firestorm of linguistic and vintage speaker debate.
 
There were a pair of Hartsfelds found like this a few years back - the cabs hadn't been seen or touched since they were new. Likely qualifies as a Grail for most of us.

Something to keep in mind with the Summits you looked at - the dampening foam in the LE-85's had likely broken down and needed replacement. This really affects sound quality since that horn covers 800 Hz to around 5,000 Hz. Some of what a Summit gives you that your 110's can't is dynamic range and speed. It's also a high efficiency large format speaker that can fill a large space with ease. Set up properly and with the right music you would have had a different experience. FWIW I prefer the 4430 to the Summit in a horn loaded JBL because of their incredible sound stage.
Funny you should mention the le85 foam. I recently tore into one of my le85's to check out the condition of the dampening foam. It was intact, but pushing on it it started to crumble.. Well past their expiration date! . In the L200A's, the le85 cross over at 1200 hz so maybe the foam isn't quite as critical. I can't tell a difference between the two now, both sound good but when i get the time I plan to open up the other one and replace it.. Got the bronze screwdriver just for this..
 
There were a pair of Hartsfelds found like this a few years back - the cabs hadn't been seen or touched since they were new. Likely qualifies as a Grail for most of us.

Something to keep in mind with the Summits you looked at - the dampening foam in the LE-85's had likely broken down and needed replacement. This really affects sound quality since that horn covers 800 Hz to around 5,000 Hz. Some of what a Summit gives you that your 110's can't is dynamic range and speed. It's also a high efficiency large format speaker that can fill a large space with ease. Set up properly and with the right music you would have had a different experience. FWIW I prefer the 4430 to the Summit in a horn loaded JBL because of their incredible sound stage.


The 4430 does present a better sound stage and imaging. But the L300 is smoother, less tubby, and not as harsh. Too each his own. As Heather said, catch, enjoy, and release.


BTW, it's not just the foams in the LE85s that need replacement (easy job) but also those in the woofers (less easy..., or better to pay a pro the ~$50-60/speaker).
 
I'm not a huge Vegas fan, but I'd make the trip for the right price on some Summits. They are, after all, Holy Grail vintage speakers. ;)
 
There were a pair of Hartsfelds found like this a few years back - the cabs hadn't been seen or touched since they were new. Likely qualifies as a Grail for most of us.

Something to keep in mind with the Summits you looked at - the dampening foam in the LE-85's had likely broken down and needed replacement. This really affects sound quality since that horn covers 800 Hz to around 5,000 Hz. Some of what a Summit gives you that your 110's can't is dynamic range and speed. It's also a high efficiency large format speaker that can fill a large space with ease. Set up properly and with the right music you would have had a different experience. FWIW I prefer the 4430 to the Summit in a horn loaded JBL because of their incredible sound stage.

Interesting. Had no idea about the dampening foam. I think should add that I looked long and hard at these speakers. I wanted them, even though the price tag was high for me (especially with 2 kids in college right now) but there were issues. First, one looked like it had fallen down a flight of stairs. The grill fabric was ripped up and the frame splintered into several bits. The veneer was badly and deeply scratched all the way through. One glass top was missing. The foilcals on both speakers were badly damaged where they were removed with a flathead screwdriver. All four tone controls were either bypassed or just didn't work, although all the drivers made sound. Both woofers in the set appeared to have been reconed. According to the people handling the auction, the owners of the home said that their son had been using them as guitar amps. In the end I decided that these had been through a tough life and needed loving care that would be beyond my means. NOW, you are mentioning this foam thing too. They ended up being shipped to Nashville, but only after I tried to get them for $500, hoping the estate people would see the benefit of not having to deal with the monsters and sending them to Nashville. I failed. In my head I rationalized that my 110's, which live in a much smaller room, were doing just fine. You know, Big Summits in big room equals small 110's in small room. Yeah, I'm not a scientist. Last thing I'll say is this: if it were four years ago when I had more cash they would have been in the back of my subaru forester in ten minutes and I would been a grand lighter and smiling about it. Timing is everything.
 
Got the bronze screwdriver just for this..

Right tool for the right job, and to avoid costly damage to the diaphragm when a normal screwdriver gets sucked into the magnet!

Replacing the foam with a soft felt or another flat circle of open cell foam is important and fairly easily done. All of the compression drivers need this after about 10 years, red wax seals be dammed.
 
Back
Top Bottom