• Please note that Audiokarma will be offline briefly for updates early on Monday morning, September 28th.

JBL Summit Speakers Online Auction in Las Vegas

I was trying real hard not open this thread. I'm thinking about having a go at these now. If nothing else the flip potential is pretty decent if it stays within reason.

Since the cats out of the bag so to speak, if any of you do consider these your dream speakers my home is open for storage and I can pick them also. I could also ship them as I'm a packing whore and you'd probably stand a better chance of getting them undamaged.
 
I think my L100's are Holy Grail because they are JBL, all I could afford at the time and built in the high quality era of the 70's. :D
 
Heh, I checked in with 4 hours to go and they were already at $900 per with 4 new bidders. Figured they would easily top $2500. considering there was a 15% premium, they were priced at around $3050 total for the ending bids. It really only came down to 3 bidders, and the winning bidder had a proxy bid that kept getting pushed up, indicating he probably had a $1750-2000 per speaker bid already in. the other two bidders pretty much fizzled out at $1200 and $1500 per.

http://bid.nellisauction.com/auction/252/item/huge-jbl-summit-speaker-41524
http://bid.nellisauction.com/auction/252/item/huge-jbl-summit-speaker-41536
 
Right - like Von Schweikert speakers - rare, so no one has really heard them -
that makes them mysterious and desirable ...! ;)

I get where your coming from but just because someone had a pair of speakers that they liked for a long time in my mind doesn't make them holy grail material. In my mind holy grail is something that is out of reach for almost everyone. L300's are not that uncommon, I see them for sale quite often and quite often for less than 3 or 4 thousand dollars, which really is not that much money in todays economy. Most people if they really wanted a pair of them could write a check for that amount and buy them, or they are not very well off might have to put a stash together for a while. Holy grail material to me is something out of reach of most all but the most well, speakers like one can see when going to higherFi 's webpage.
 
About the only way to get a deal these days is to luck into someone who has a set and doesn't know what they have, or get a pair that need to be worked on.
The ones I have needed woofers when I got them. Buy the time I had sourced 2235 baskets and (rather disappointing) OEM cone kits, I still had about $2100 in them. That was about six years ago.
I still need to rebuild the grilles. That will wait until we are empty-nesters.
 
Heh, I checked in with 4 hours to go and they were already at $900 per with 4 new bidders. Figured they would easily top $2500. considering there was a 15% premium, they were priced at around $3050 total for the ending bids. It really only came down to 3 bidders, and the winning bidder had a proxy bid that kept getting pushed up, indicating he probably had a $1750-2000 per speaker bid already in. the other two bidders pretty much fizzled out at $1200 and $1500 per.

http://bid.nellisauction.com/auction/252/item/huge-jbl-summit-speaker-41524
http://bid.nellisauction.com/auction/252/item/huge-jbl-summit-speaker-41536
With sales tax at 8% and premium at 15%, that is no small add on!
 
Funny they waited until the auction was over and cost ascertained before moving to D&S.

Anybody see them on eBay yet?
 
Heh, remember, there's a full thread and owner of a pair of refurbished and tweaked JBL 4333s that says they (not the very similar L300) are THE most accurate of all JBL speakers, vintage or later modern, even better than any 4-way JBL Pro or Consumer model, or more recent JBL 3 way models like the Everest II using highly evolved materials, engineering, and techniques developed since the late 70's, not to mention the engineering skill, experience and hearing of Greg Timbers, et. al., who further evolved so many of JBLs best designs.

But many many do like what they hear in the L300 and similar JBL designs.

I've never heard a JBL that I thought was accurate and that includes the L300, which sat quietly in my home for several years. The L300 was better than the rest but the horns made my ears ring which limited sessions to just a few tracks. In fairness to the L300, all horns make my ears ring.
 
Heh, remember, there's a full thread and owner of a pair of refurbished and tweaked JBL 4333s that says they (not the very similar L300) are THE most accurate of all JBL speakers, vintage or later modern, even better than any 4-way JBL Pro or Consumer model, or more recent JBL 3 way models like the Everest II using highly evolved materials, engineering, and techniques developed since the late 70's, not to mention the engineering skill, experience and hearing of Greg Timbers, et. al., who further evolved so many of JBLs best designs.

But many many do like what they hear in the L300 and similar JBL designs.
Especially with leather woofer surrounds . . .
 
Back
Top Bottom