• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Just got new amp - living room setup done

m4rz

Well-Known Member
As strange as this sounds, I am really a minimalist in the rooms where WAF is a must. SO...picked up a new amp today - Philips 1200B (see Echowars DC-Offset thread). As long as I can get this thing running well, my living room is done.
My wife doesn't like records as they take too much work, so in the living room I have:

SA-8500
Philips 1200B Amp
PS1 as CDP (yes we do like the sound)
Castle Pembroke Speakers (shelved)
Baby Advents in living room corners.

All this with the help of all the AK'ers that have put up with my posts. Thanks!
 

Attachments

  • Philips_Amp.jpg
    Philips_Amp.jpg
    61.4 KB · Views: 175
Register to hide this ad
Nice looking amp.

Reminds me of the Technics series I always like. Don't remember the model though.
 
So far just set it up. Haven't even had time to listen to it. It's Friday though, so a scotch and some SRV maybe some Leonard Cohen and then I will report back.

As far as specs go, trying to find some info on the net but can't really locate any. I am hoping that someone here has some info...but here's what I know:

supports A and B
8-16 ohms
150 wpc
build seems solid - back has typical "click" (I think that's the name) speaker connectors, so if I like the amp, I may see if anyone knows, or has replaced them with better speaker connections.

I opened 'er up as 2 lights had burnt out, so got a few and soldered them in.
Waiting to see if my other post in the DC-Offset thread gets answered. Very clean inside.

Oh, btw, baby advents are hooked to SA-8500 as the new amp doesn't support (I think) 4 ohm loads. Will post back if I find out more info, and after I have some uninterrupted listening (watching Madagascar for the 3 billionth time this week - 3 year old).
 
Here's some nudies. Hope the size is ok.
 

Attachments

  • AK_Philips5.JPG
    AK_Philips5.JPG
    187.5 KB · Views: 57
  • AK_Philips4.JPG
    AK_Philips4.JPG
    146.1 KB · Views: 54
  • AK_Philips3.JPG
    AK_Philips3.JPG
    149.1 KB · Views: 49
  • AK_Philips1.JPG
    AK_Philips1.JPG
    160.1 KB · Views: 84
i am pretty excited about the "look" of this amp, just want to find out some more information before I hook it all up....especially with the DC-Offset being a "little" high.
 
Even with the DC offset being as they may, I hooked up the Castle speakers to the Philips. It actually sounded pretty smooth. One of the great things though, are the VU meters. I love the look of them bouncing as the music is playing. I probably will be doing very little work now while I listen to music....will be mesmerized by the meters.
 
SE-A3 and A5 (and later MKII). There are other SE-A series with the meters but those 2 were "THE" ones.
I find this discussion of resemblance to Technics interesting.
I used to use a Technics integrated which used a 'R' core transformer,that looked very much like the tranny pictured inside the Phillips.
Could Technics have made this amp as an OEM?
 
WAF is a funny thing... you might be surprised if you can't sway her with sound.. GOOD sound.. sneek in some vinyl while she is out of the room... My wife today passed on some bad ass furniture JBL's for some big ugly Altecs stacked to the ceiling (no joke)

Some times you might be surprised with how you can change their minds.. I never thought altec A7-500s would be the keepers just because of sound over looks
 
Hey there,

i too have one of these monsters and absolutely love the sound of it. I also have a Philips 5781 amp (210W x 2).

Mine also has a higher DC offset (don't remember what, just that it did) and I had some concerns about it. My Tech worked on it before I got it and he said that there was nothing to worry about when I asked him about it. He said that if you put a load on (attached speakers to it) then the DC offset would go away. Did you measure with or without a speaker connected to the terminals? I will ask him again about the case with mine, but I trust what he says and he assured me that my unit was fine.

I have had it for a while and don't quite remember what my DC numbers were, and I will measure them later to see what I get, I just remember it being a concern.

I am a huge Philips fan and collect their equipment. I would like to know what you think of the amp when you have a chance to have a serious listening session. I love mine.

I will post later when I get a chance to check the offset of mine.
 
Even with the DC offset being as they may, I hooked up the Castle speakers to the Philips. It actually sounded pretty smooth. One of the great things though, are the VU meters. I love the look of them bouncing as the music is playing. I probably will be doing very little work now while I listen to music....will be mesmerized by the meters.

I'm surprised that during the era of the "thousand lights" stereo equipment (DBX 3BX & Audio Control C101, for example), that no one put small lights at the end of the VU meters...probably too heavy. I think that would have been mesmerizing!
Of course, you cant beat the ol' color organ:
AL_001_Picture_004_c.jpg


http://www.audiolites.com/
 
Chrisssssssss,

So far so good. I will definitely give my opinion of the amp. I have "booked" some time with the family this evening to sit and test it.
I am curious about the DC offsets. Also, have you run the amp with 2 sets of speakers at the same time?
I don't have a manual and if anyone knows where I can buy one, I definitely will.

Cheers
 
Back
Top Bottom