• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Just ordered a "Red Ed" cart!

I ordered one of these ellipticals as a test cartridge for a Hitachi turntable that I picked up off someone on Craigslist for $19.26 delivered from Voice of Music. Not a bad little cartridge to use till I make up my mind on what cartridge I really want on it, if any other at all! It came in the Pfanstiehl MG-29E packaging that says Made In China on the bottom. Not sure if this differs from the "Red Ed" Elliptical or not. They certainly look the same. So you can buy it from Voice of Music at $15.25 or pay $27.95 at Ed Saunders site.
 
Last edited:
Sorry to dig up an old thread but I have some updates for anyone that stubbles across this thread via search function.

1. As of yesterday, Ed Saunder's website is out of stock on the Eliptical RedEd. Also, according to Tricia Horn (she, presumably, runs that website), they have no future plans to get more. It looks as though they still have P-mount cartridges in stock.

2. The Goldring Elektra Cartridge, that I bought, new, on that auction site (some feel it is the same as the RedEd Eliptical), came in a box that says "Made in Japan".

3. I can say that in my opinion, on my system, the Goldring Elektra betters my other budget cartridges by a significant margin, including my; AT95E, M97xE and ADC QLM 36 MKiii

4. I can post some A/B comparison files, if there is any interest. I prefer FLAC 24 bit files but have noticed most of the users here use WAV files and I can do those as well but I think I can only use 16 bit that way. I am using Audacity software.
 
Last edited:
The Red Ed elliptical and the Goldring Elektra are indeed the same cartridge. Production was shifted from Japan to China and quality went down the drain. As a result, production has ceased. There will be no more Red Ed's, Pfanstiehl or Sanyo/Fisher MG-29s and no more Goldring Elektras.

http://www.needledoctor.com/Goldring-Elektra-Cartridge

It was, when made in Japan, a surprisingly good cartridge and it's too bad that it has disappeared.

John
 
Hi boreas were did you get the cartridge i was going to replace mine i have a lab- 1100 ? Lp website 3 choices don't know if i should its worth ,will it make any difference$ 29- $32 were its a cheaper tt thanks 4 any responses
 
Hi boreas were did you get the cartridge i was going to replace mine i have a lab- 1100 ? Lp website 3 choices don't know if i should its worth ,will it make any difference$ 29- $32 were its a cheaper tt thanks 4 any responses

It wasn't I but wingedrider who mentioned having an Elektra.

The cartridge isn't being made any more, under any name, and any that may still be kicking around will be Chinese and of poor quality.

If you want a good cartridge that's dirt cheap, the Pfanstiehl MG-09DE is the way to go.

http://www.thevoiceofmusic.com/cata...NameCartridges&MfgName=Pfanstiehl&Categories=

I just checked the website that you left link big bucks dont need that

That was the price for the Elektra when it was available. I posted the link to show that not only the Red Ed but also the Elektra was no longer available.
 
The online manual says the thing takes # at3600ax ever heard of it im 53 never owned a tt .my older bro. Had one buy the time icould buy anything it was 8 tracks Columbia house.so im asking is it worth replacing i paid 4 bucks for the tt .fully auto but maby a little better sound?
 
The online manual says the thing takes # at3600ax ever heard of it im 53 never owned a tt .my older bro. Had one buy the time icould buy anything it was 8 tracks Columbia house.so im asking is it worth replacing i paid 4 bucks for the tt .fully auto but maby a little better sound?

Yes, I'm familiar with it. It's an entry level Audio Technica cartridge. Here's the thing, though. Your LAB 1100 has a special version of the AT3600, probably what the "AX" stands for. What's special about it is that it's a part of the tonearm and isn't removable or replaceable. All that you can do is replace the stylus with an ATN3600.

John
 
Yes, I'm familiar with it. It's an entry level Audio Technica cartridge. Here's the thing, though. Your LAB 1100 has a special version of the AT3600, probably what the "AX" stands for. What's special about it is that it's a part of the tonearm and isn't removable or replaceable. All that you can do is replace the stylus with an ATN3600.

John

Now that is a helpful answer. I am impressed, John.

Thanks for all of the information you shared about the Red Ed (and other identical cartridges). That clears up all the confusion for me.
 
You guys are alright i think the tt is piece of Shiite and isn't worthy of an new part thanks i heard that about the tone arm & needle all 1 piece.ok thanks on that one i have 2 other tt . 1sony! Dont have model # handy .the 3 tt is a Brookstone ! Who knew it has a USB on back out of all 3 the radioshack worked or sounded best maby junk all 3 .i paid 15.00 for all 3 you get what you pay for forsure thanks again
 
The Red Ed elliptical and the Goldring Elektra are indeed the same cartridge. Production was shifted from Japan to China and quality went down the drain. As a result, production has ceased. There will be no more Red Ed's, Pfanstiehl or Sanyo/Fisher MG-29s and no more Goldring Elektras.

http://www.needledoctor.com/Goldring-Elektra-Cartridge

It was, when made in Japan, a surprisingly good cartridge and it's too bad that it has disappeared.

John

But what about the P-mounts? I'd guess there are still some Japanese made ones of those left?
 
But what about the P-mounts? I'd guess there are still some Japanese made ones of those left?

Maybe but maybe also some Chinese ones (if they ever made that type). If you're looking for a P-mount, that might be a good way to go but, if you intend to stick it in an adapter, I think the MG-09D or MG-09DE is a better option.

Gary at V-M Audio Enthusiasts has the MG-29P, the MG-09D and MG-09DE in stock at very good prices. If you email him, I'm sure he's tell you where the P-mounts were made and would offer a recommendation if you ask.

John
 
The Red Ed elliptical and the Goldring Elektra are indeed the same cartridge. Production was shifted from Japan to China and quality went down the drain. As a result, production has ceased. There will be no more Red Ed's, Pfanstiehl or Sanyo/Fisher MG-29s and no more Goldring Elektras.

http://www.needledoctor.com/Goldring-Elektra-Cartridge

It was, when made in Japan, a surprisingly good cartridge and it's too bad that it has disappeared.

John

Was it the cart or the stylus that went downhill?
 
I would like to join the fun!

I have had this cart and stylus for sometime not knowing anything about it (thx beatcomber). From the looks the cantilever is pretty straight under a crappy scope the stylus is in tack. I cannot guarantee this is not a cheap China knock off but if anyone wants it PM me and Ill send it to you for the cost of shipping. I have no plans to use this and if someone else can that will serve it better than in a cigar box! :yes: Karma baby!
 

Attachments

  • 20140903_004134.jpg
    20140903_004134.jpg
    46.4 KB · Views: 37
  • 20140903_004317.jpg
    20140903_004317.jpg
    52.8 KB · Views: 31
Last edited:
I don't know but Gary at V-M could tell you.

John

A high quality made in Japan by Nagaoka is available from Turntableneedles.com for $30, it will improve the performance any of the variants of this cartridge.

It may be available from other sources at a better price but have not looked. Just make sure the seller says it is made in Japan.
 
A high quality made in Japan by Nagaoka is available from Turntableneedles.com for $30, it will improve the performance any of the variants of this cartridge.

It may be available from other sources at a better price but have not looked. Just make sure the seller says it is made in Japan.

Gary said all he has are the China made ones, an option might be to just get the cart from him and a stylus from TTN? I see LP Gear has a .002 elliptical for it as well.
 
Any opinions on the MG-09D from V-M?

Gary at V-M says it's quite good and I trust both his judgment and his honesty.

Personally, I had the opportunity of hearing a Numark GT (same thing as the MG09) on a table I repaired. I didn't give it a serious long-term listen but I liked what I heard on brief exposure.

John
 
Last edited:
Glad to hear it's a good cartridge I am quite looking forward to listening to my vinyl record collection once it arrives.
 
Back
Top Bottom