• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Just ordered a "Red Ed" cart!

The Eroica and 1042 are still current Goldring models and are not made in Japan, according to the package.
 
Last edited:
The Eroica and 1042 are still current Goldring models and are not made in Japan, according to the package.

Hi, True, but they have been selling for years and are not the latest models, rgds, sreten.

The latest (MM) models are the 2000 series, don't know about the latest MC's.
 
sreten: Tonar also has a Nagaoka-made T4P version,
in case you shouldn't have known already, the (JT-)611(BE). Williamthakker
should still offer both the spherical and the elliptical versions of these.

Greetings from Munich (and welcome on AK, btw...)!

Manfred / lini

Hi Lini,

Whist I knew about them, and the styli mounting looks the same they
are not as obviously likely the same cartridge as the Red Ed as the one
I posted, and due to TP4 requirements its possible styli details differ.
Though I agree its more likely the styli are very near the same.

rgds, sreten.
 
sreten: Yup, it surely is possible that the needles for the 611 are of higher compliance - at least in theory they should be.

Greetings from Munich!

Manfred / lini
 
Looks like they tout the Tonar Birdie as a DJ cart.
I wonder how it would compare with the Red Ed.....:scratch2:
 
Looks like they tout the Tonar Birdie as a DJ cart. (...)

There actually are two versions. The one with the flying bird depicted above is the regular (HiFi-)Birdie, whereas the heavier tracking dj version has got a dancing bird and DJ Birdie written on the needle.

Oh, and btw, for those who didn't know yet: Tonar is an at least formerly big, Dutch distributor of audio and especially phono accessories.

Greetings from Munich!

Manfred / lini
 
I might give one a try too. The new web page for some reason reminds me of a story that my brother in law tells. He's a pediatrician down south. He said he had some pictures on the walls in his offices of musical themes and one of them was some phonograph records with record notes on them and he overhears some kid asking their mom: Mom, what are those round things in that picture. He thinks to himself: I'm getting old. So then when the Mom answers "Honey, I don't know whaaat those thankgs are" he says to himself: Damn, I am old.

True story, happened about ten years ago. And my brother in law can tell it in way that will leave you in stitches. Well, I hope Ed and his new business partner do well. I think I'll help by ordering the higher end one. You never know what you're gonna get you know.
 
Yeah, welcome Ed.

I was going to be the first to say it but, the internet being what it is, I was afraid of looking like an idiot (more than normal, anyway) if it turned out to be somebody pretending to be Ed Saunders.

My V15 Type III sounds great with your stylus in it.

Doug
 
I just ordered the cheapie conical. Was thinking about going for a little more, but what its going on isn't really worth spending more on than I can help it.
 
Got it, got it on, and its not bad. Its on my old Yamaha, and it sounds better than the tired B&O cart did. Its not the most amazing thing in the world, but it doesn't suck either.
 
Hey Mr. Saunders--

How close is the Red Ed with the elliptical stylus to the Goldring Elektra? I have heard differing answers from a number of sources. Thanks in advance.
 
I ordered the Red Ed based on a great deal of the kudos given it here. I agree that for the buck it's tough to complain, but......

Has anybody experimented with the loading at all? I find the treble a little 'hot' at 47k/100pF. Higher cap just makes it worse.

Maybe different cables will do the trick?
 
G'day mate, try padding down the input resistance by another input resistor in parallel, say another 47 k resistor. Regards, Felix aka catman.
 
Last edited:
It reminds me of the cheap AT 3600L cart that comes on the Music Hall USB turntable (conical, 3 gr.)...only diff is their styli grip is white, but I've seen it red and yellow too.
 
Back
Top Bottom