• Please note that Audiokarma will be offline briefly for updates early on Monday morning, September 28th.

Just ordered a "Red Ed" cart!

Thank you all for your Red Ed reports. I've been following this thread to see if I should try one out and I've decided to order one or two (maybe one conical and one elliptical) to hear for myself how they work with TTs I refurbish to help lure folks to the Dark Side of Record Playing.
 
For that purpose, I think it would be just fine. Heck, Music Hall puts it on their new tables, right?

I look forward to hearing how the elliptical compares to the conical!
 
Must...not...order....Must...not...order.....
*click*

You just made a payment of
$15.95
Paid to
trishahorn@att.net

Thanks for your order

DAMN! Look what you made me do!

Going to be installed on my JVC QL-7. I'll post my thoughts when it gets here.
 
Thank you all for your Red Ed reports. I've been following this thread to see if I should try one out and I've decided to order one or two (maybe one conical and one elliptical) to hear for myself how they work with TTs I refurbish to help lure folks to the Dark Side of Record Playing.

Just ordered one for one of the turntables I'm refurbishing. We'll see how it 'plays' in several senses of the word. I echo Rene's thanks.
 
Thanks Beatcomber and Catman. I set up the red ed last night on my JVC QL-7 to replace the worn out Compass cart that was on there. I wasn't expecting a whole lot from the red ed, but I immediately noticed how balanced the music sounded - It was full and had a very good soundstage. Bass response was strong without being boomy, treble was clear, vocals had a nice presence. It tracks pretty well too.
I think the RedEd is worth EVERY PENNY of the $15.95 they are charging for it.
If there is any drawback to the RedEd, it's that it's VERY lightweight, and required some tweaking to get the proper stylus pressure. Worth the effort, though. :thmbsp:
 
Trish just notified me that my Red Ed elliptical has shipped. I'm also getting a 78 stylus from her for it too.

I'm really looking forward to checking it out. It'll be mounted on my second table; a Dual 1212 that I use for beat up LPs and 78's


Right now, the Dual is mounted with a Shure M78s (a.k.a SC35C) which i also have an LP stylus for. That's a pretty ubiquitous cartridge, so hopefully my report of comparison will be useful.

Eventually, I hope to try the Red Ed on my Well Tempered just for yuks. But I'll let it break in on the Dual first.

I'm also very curious as to how it will track some of my more worn 78's. I don't know how wide a diamond is on the 78 stylus

I'll report back.
 
After reading this thread, I had to step up and play too...2 Red Eds arrived late last week.

I purchased the conical version to install on a couple of 'tables I'm going to be giving to friends in the coming weeks. WIll report back with impressions over the Thanksgiving holiday!
 
We have a winner!

I mounted and test-ran my Red Ed today. I got a 78 stylus with it also.

I hope to write more about it later, but initial observation shows it's far better than the "down-market" Shure I've been running on my 2nd 'table. I did some digital needle drops to more easily A/B them. And can say that the Red Ed actually is a "listening" cartridge. It actually offers space, detail, soundstage, and decent timbres!

The 78 stylus tracks as well as the Shure M78s which I would rate as merely "acceptable". That's fine though. At least having this 78 stylus for the
Ed allows me to keep it on my dual-purpose 'table (LPs and 78s)
 
Last night I was able to do a comparison of the Red Ed conical against a Grado Black. Guess what? I couldn't hear any difference!

The Red Ed was installed on a Technics SL-B2 and the Grado was installed on a Technics SL-D2. Both turntables were run through a Kenwood KA-701 amplifier which has two phono stages. The source material was "Frampton Comes Alive!" since I happened to have two copies of that LP. I synchronized both LPs and did an A-B comparison with the source switch. The speakers were Boston Acoustics A-150.
 
I've been using my elliptical Red Ed for several weeks now on my Rega, I like it better than the Ortofon OM 20 I was using for a while. Very open & natural sounding. Not bad for $30. :music:
 
Hi,

FWIW the Goldring connection implies its made by Nagaoka,
I understand all the latest Goldrings are OEM Nagaoka.

Here is another version of the same / similar cartridge :
http://www.williamthakker.eu/Tonar-Birdie-HiFi-Tonabnehmer_c32-384-400_p10807_x2.htm

10807b-a.jpg


tonar_birdie_b.jpg


Also of interest may be :

http://daveyw.edsstuff.org/vinyl/cartridges/mm-cartridges/

See the Elecktra sound file.

rgds, sreten.
 
I have a Goldring 1042 and an Eroica. I used to have a 2200. The 2200 package said it was made in Japan, but the 1042 and the Eroica say "designed & hand built by British craftsmen". If it's Nagaoka that makes cartridges for Goldring it would not appear to extend to the Eroica and the 1000 series.

The cartridge that is sold as the Red Ed appears under so many names that it seems like it must be unrelated to the usual Nagaoka-Goldring connection.
 
Last night I was able to do a comparison of the Red Ed conical against a Grado Black. Guess what? I couldn't hear any difference!

REALLY?

I have a Grado ZC+ (older version of the Green) and a Red Ed conical and think they sound quite different. The Grado has a very full midrange and the Red Ed has a rather scooped midrange.
 
I have a Goldring 1042 and an Eroica. I used to have a 2200. The 2200 package said it was made in Japan, but the 1042 and the Eroica say "designed & hand built by British craftsmen". If it's Nagaoka that makes cartridges for Goldring it would not appear to extend to the Eroica and the 1000 series.

The cartridge that is sold as the Red Ed appears under so many names that it seems like it must be unrelated to the usual Nagaoka-Goldring connection.

Hi,

I said the latest Goldrings, not the older stuff, but it would make
sense to dip your toes in the water with the budget models first.

Also note the Nagaoka / Tonar (Birdie above) connections here :
http://www.lpgear.com/Merchant2/mer...t_Code=NAGAOKAJT555&Category_Code=NAGAOKACART

I don't think I'm being too presumptuous.

rgds,
 
sreten: Tonar also has a Nagaoka-made T4P version, in case you shouldn't have known already, the (JT-)611(BE). Williamthakker should still offer both the spherical and the elliptical versions of these.

Greetings from Munich (and welcome on AK, btw...)!

Manfred / lini
 
Back
Top Bottom