• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Kabuki speaker Photo thread

STR-6046A

Member
I read a lot about 'Kabuki' speakers lately. but most of them were mentioned without photo. So here it is, I'll start the Kabuki photo thread. Post what Kabuki you came across.
here's my example:
JBL L880

I didn't know they HAVE to be from Japan :), to me there is plenty of Kabuki here in the good ole US
But here's my Japan Kabuki contribution
The Pioneer CS88A
 
Last edited:
Register to hide this ad
Cool idea, but I think those small-woofered, big cabinet JBLs don't really qualify; see http://www.audiokarma.org/forums/showthread.php?p=1309720#post1309720

Kabuki Speaker = Japanese made speakers from the 60's through the 70's that had a minimum 15" woofer, a minimum 4-way cross-over, at least 6 individual drivers, in a box that is less than 3 cu ft or weighs less than 50lb's.
For those wondering about the origin of the term, it had to do with the limited bandwidth and tinny sound that characterized the first versions of these speakers. As a friend said "You can play Led Zepplin though them and it comes out sounding like Kabuki music".

These are a better example:

79ba03e1_spx8000_1.jpeg
 
Last edited:
I had these in about 1980, LED lights and everything.
Highly disappointing, Traded them for an older set of Pioneers.

1343602623_260204543_1-Bafles-Originales-Usados-Pioneer-CS-907-Bienestar-Social_1.jpg
 
Sansui SP-x11000
 

Attachments

  • 78430-sansui_spx11000_speakers__biggest_baddest__rarest__350_watts__dual_17_woofers.jpg
    78430-sansui_spx11000_speakers__biggest_baddest__rarest__350_watts__dual_17_woofers.jpg
    106.3 KB · Views: 130
Sansui SP-x11000

these look definitely to be kabuki , But not all Sansui are kabuki. I have a comparrasing of the SP-300 vs Kabuki
Kabuki
minimum 15" woofer
a minimum 4-way cross-over
at least 6 individual drivers
a box less than 3 cu ft
less than 50lbs weight

Sansui SP-300
12" woofer
3-way cross-over
4 individual driver
3.6cuft box
71lbs weight
 
Last edited:
Well, some of the JBL definitely are qualifying as kabuki.
I agree on the speaker you posted , they look very kabuki to me.
never seen them before.
(what a tiny lady *laughing)
 
legacy whisper
11 driver, (kabuki requirement)
15" carbon woofer (kabuki)
4 way (marginal)
332 lbs each (not kabuki)
5.825cu/ft (not kabuki)
I guess after further review, these Legacy Whisper don't qualify as kabuki, sorry… :)
 
Sansui SP-5500X

I recapped and replaced 2 midrange speakers on a pair a good while back for a friend. He is still enjoying them

A true Kabuki ?


P1010011.JPG
 
The JBL's aren't really Kabuki's - they have to built in Japan and that was the other reasoning.

Then these would be Kabuki's also.... :D

Legacy-Header.jpg
Nice Woofers, and the red grill cloth looks great too. Never seen Bi-pedestal speaker stands before. Interesting.
 
Sansui SP-5500X

I recapped and replaced 2 midrange speakers on a pair a good while back for a friend. He is still enjoying them

A true Kabuki ?


P1010011.JPG

Let's do the kabuki test
5 driver, (kabuki requirement 6)
15" woofer (kabuki requirement 15")
4 way (4 way kabuki requirement)
45 lbs each (kabuki requirement <50lbs)
2.222cu/ft (kabuki requirement <3cu/ft)

after further review, the ruling of kabuki stands. :)

On the other hand here is someones review , I've found:
I went to a stereo shop to hear some Mcintosh XRT1K's...$20,000 and they had some old Sansui sp-5500's right next to the XRT1K's. I first heard the XRT1K's and they sounded GOOD! I then listened to the Sansui's.....these are the ones that they did not sell here in the states and I really liked these OLD SANSUI's better! I have never heard a sansui speaker sound this GOOD. They were using a Mcintosh MA6900 to compare the XRT1K's to the Sansui sp-5500's. Well....I have the sansui's in my house now I paid $450 for them. This is the BEST $450 I have ever paid in 30 years in this hobby!!
 
Last edited:
Ahh, a thread I can feel at home in :)

Many kabuki speakers followed a similar driver placement scheme. Here are 6 very similar kabuki offerings from different companies. These pics are all stolen from the internet, my apologies if they are yours. They are: Yamaha NS-9191, Technics SB-G920, Pioneer CS-903, Kenwood KL-999DX, Sansui SP-Z77, and the Marantz LS-17A.

attachment.php
 

Attachments

  • speakers.jpg
    speakers.jpg
    123.4 KB · Views: 192
I have 3 pair of kabuki pioneers in my workshop; CS-903, CS-703, and CS-905. I bought the 903s and 703s at the same time, and I just recently picked up the 905s (no pics of them yet). I've posted this pic before, but here's the 703s and 903s the day I bought them:

attachment.php


I run the 3 pairs with 3 genuine kabuki-era Fisher CA-275 amps.

The Pioneer drivers are actually pretty robust, big voice coils, magnets, etc. They fill the shop with throbbing bass, heh, even if I have the air compressor running ;)
 

Attachments

  • pioneers.jpg
    pioneers.jpg
    56.8 KB · Views: 158
Thankfully not a single Kabuki listed thus far has made it's way home with me. I did get quite close though with a pair of sansui sp3500's and coral bx1500's. Those 2 pairs satisfied my curiosity about kabuki speakers for my lifetime and then some.
 
Back
Top Bottom