• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Recapping a pair Sansui SP-5500X - WOW!

Frank Sol

Lunatic Member
:D

Wow! What a X-Over... Pictures coming soon.

I'm doing this for a friend and we pulled the XO out today.
 
Register to hide this ad
Thinking about going with all Jantzen Caps & Mills Resistors from P/E ??


.
 

Attachments

  • 001.jpg
    001.jpg
    70.9 KB · Views: 444
  • 002.jpg
    002.jpg
    61.6 KB · Views: 314
  • 003.jpg
    003.jpg
    80 KB · Views: 408
It will be interesting to hear what you end up using and what you think of the results. I have 4 of the sp7500x's and have long debated re-doing the crossovers as well.
-Lee
 
What year speakers are those by the way? I had a pair I bought in the 79/80 years and liked them quite well back then. Don't recall them being an "X" model though.
 
According to 'The Best of Sansui' website the "X Series" were manufactured 1975-79

My idea/price for recapping was a little over my friend's price range so I went with cheaper caps for the lower range. Ordered these from P/E

Jantzen

2) 1.5
4) 3.3

No Name Bi-Polar caps

2) 15.0
2) 22.0

Mills Resistors

2) 10H
2) 20H

$35 +/-
 
Why use the "no Name" Lytic's ? Why not use the E-Caps AC from Jeff over at Sonicraft.


Just the way it worked out 8yrs ago... If I was recapping for myself at the time I'd have used better... BTW , I've bought from Sonicraft many times

Anyhow... I'm not sure if 'better' caps would have made a sonic difference in these speakers
 
Thinking about going with all Jantzen Caps & Mills Resistors from P/E ??


.
What did you have to do to get the crossovers out? What they held in by? Glue?

Ordered caps for someone and I doubt they will proceed with the recap without my help; i.e. me doing it.

I imagine these speakers will have a drastic improvement as they sound like mud now.
 
Just the way it worked out 8yrs ago... If I was recapping for myself at the time I'd have used better... BTW , I've bought from Sonicraft many times

Anyhow... I'm not sure if 'better' caps would have made a sonic difference in these speakers
Are you still using the Sansuis Frank?
 
What did you have to do to get the crossovers out?


From memory

Remove knob then carefully remove plate to reveal wood screws. Unscrew

plate.png
 
Unless you friend is on a extreme budget the up graded in caps would make a audible improvement.
But Frank did say "Anyhow... I'm not sure if 'better' caps would have made a sonic difference in these speakers" which seems to be a comment on the overall performance of the speaker. Not that better caps would not be audible but would they be worth the investment in these speakers. But I can't speak for Frank and his ideas, just putting things together from the thread.
 
According to 'The Best of Sansui' website the "X Series" were manufactured 1975-79

My idea/price for recapping was a little over my friend's price range so I went with cheaper caps for the lower range. Ordered these from P/E

Jantzen

2) 1.5
4) 3.3

No Name Bi-Polar caps

2) 15.0
2) 22.0

Mills Resistors

2) 10H
2) 20H

$35 +/-
I understand this is a very old thread, but I still want to give it a shot.

In my SP-5500x boxes, the horn and tweeter also had (in series) bipolar electrolytics of 4 and 3,3 uF, respectively. From the list you posted, I can see that you did not replace those. Is that because they were not present in your speakers? In other words, would those in my speakers have been retrofitted by someone?

Edit Nevermind, this is definitely a retrofit :rolleyes:... Now I'm wondering what the previous owner was trying to do.

IMG_6163.jpg
 
Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom