• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

KEF 105 ....your thoughts..

Register to hide this ad
Seen them yet? How are the cabinets? Any rehab done in the last 25+ years? Original owner? How about the condition of the grills? Woofer rub?
Lots of variables to consider. Could be a score, could be a money pit.
What about the associated gear?
If all is good ------and the price is right ----- jump on them.
Do the research.
Good luck.
Jimmy
 
Run grasshopper ... er spider ... run!!!

Maybe a money pit, but the sound is outstanding (I own a pair)
 
I sold mine to a good friend/customer for his home system because he fell in love with them. He owns and operates a (very good!) recording studio.What more can I say?
Other than I still miss them:(

Check the woofers for voice coil rubbing,as this model is very prone to woofer ''sag''. Believe it or not,rotating them on a regular basis to neutralize this is accepted practice:)
 
Good speakers that are even better with top flight gear. They'll have an entirely different presentation than your 4435s. Personally, I like switching between different sounding speakers.
 
Hey HIfI in WYO, What kind of gear do you power yours with ?

just a Yamaha A S500 integrated. Probably not optimum, but they don't seem to mind. Mine are 105.1s, so the first generation. They will expose sounds from your music you never knew were there ... and they're all good!
 
Good afternoon,


I assume it's about the RR105mk1, mk2 or mk4. The strange thing is that in earlier times they missed the mk3 (around 1980). The mk1, mk2, an mk4 are all with rubber surrounds. The RR105.3 (mk3) was made with foam surrounds (8 pieces per pair including donut) which will be destroyed right now. Second problem is that reforming isn’t easy. You need to have a almost the experience of a car mechanic to get the speakers out. If you buy the even though, watch carefully that you don’t turn the metal bar inside to tight. The problem is that it can the magnet can be get broken of the frame(!!!). So be very carefully what you buy!!

Best regards, Fred
 
I've heard a lot about these in the past but never got an opportunity to hear any. I've only heard great things!
Bob
 
I had the 105.4's for a awhile. I guess that's the version KEF made because the 105's were too darned big! I let mine go and regret it. I'd grab a pair of 105's in a second.
 
Back
Top Bottom