• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

KEF 105 mark 1

rx7rotary

Active Member
Hi guys,

Just wanted to hear your experiences with KEF 105 mk1, the early version. I am in a position to buy them but unsure of what they sound like.

Regards
Mark
 
Register to hide this ad
Hi guys,

Just wanted to hear your experiences with KEF 105 mk1, the early version. I am in a position to buy them but unsure of what they sound like.

Regards
Mark

Here are the links to a couple of reviews etc. Ive never heard a pair but I am a huge fan of KEF speakers or KEF drivers used in custom speakers.

I would agree with one of the reviews in rebuilding the x overs to remove the ptotection circuits ...or get someone to biuld some custom ones for you using audiophile components

www.audioreview.com/cat/speakers/floorstanding-speakers/kef/kef-105-mk1/prd_453430_1594crx.aspx

stereonomono.blogspot.com/2010/08/kef-model-105.html

Keith
 
Here are the links to a couple of reviews etc. Ive never heard a pair but I am a huge fan of KEF speakers or KEF drivers used in custom speakers.

I would agree with one of the reviews in rebuilding the x overs to remove the ptotection circuits ...or get someone to biuld some custom ones for you using audiophile components

www.audioreview.com/cat/speakers/floorstanding-speakers/kef/kef-105-mk1/prd_453430_1594crx.aspx

stereonomono.blogspot.com/2010/08/kef-model-105.html

Keith

Thanks MF1000, that was an interesting read...
 
I've owned both Mark I and II's. They sound exactly the same. Assuming the price is right and they are in good condition, I can recommend them unequivocally.

Ray
 
I've owned both Mark I and II's. They sound exactly the same. Assuming the price is right and they are in good condition, I can recommend them unequivocally.

Ray
They have no xover. Otherwise average to medium condition. He wants around 300usd. I can source a xover for 100 with new caps.

all up 400-500 usd. Worth it?

mark
 
They have no xover. Otherwise average to medium condition. He wants around 300usd. I can source a xover for 100 with new caps.

all up 400-500 usd. Worth it?

mark

Best $500 you'll ever spend. They're at least £500 in the UK and hit £1000+ during the obvious holidays.

Ray
 
Well if you don't like them let me know if you can ship them to Australia. If the shipping isn't ridiculous I'll consider them!
 
Anyway I got them now :) Will pickup soon.

You should rotate the woofers ( north-south) every few years. All the "experts" say that. I don't know if it makes a difference, but it's easy to do and cheap insurance if they're right.

Ray
 
They are great speakers. I was able to rebuild a pair, sourcing the cabinets with hoods, the woofers and the mid/high heads separately. Took me about a year to source all parts.

I had to refinish the heads (sand them down, spray with filler and then black lacquer) and they now look as new.

Haven't recapped them yet but they still sound great.
 
They are great speakers. I was able to rebuild a pair, sourcing the cabinets with hoods, the woofers and the mid/high heads separately. Took me about a year to source all parts.

I had to refinish the heads (sand them down, spray with filler and then black lacquer) and they now look as new.

Haven't recapped them yet but they still sound great.

Any photos of them Sasi?
 
Back
Top Bottom