• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Kenwood 1100u - I'll never redo another one!

roasted resistors on caps like that usually indicate a short, often in the cap itself. Honestly the resistors being right there is not ideal for the cap. Some amount of heat dumps down the leads right into the cap body which makes them age more. Also just the heat in the chassis right underneath warms them and that doesn't help either.
I wonder if the blackened resistor between those two filter caps is even original?
 
It looks like a Japanese type from the era, so its quite likely original. That orange cap off to the side that says USA is definitely not though. That tan resistor may not be either.
 
It looks like a Japanese type from the era, so its quite likely original. That orange cap off to the side that says USA is definitely not though. That tan resistor may not be either.
Oh ya, that orange dude is a much more modern sprauge. So far we've got an obviously blown Elna cap (in the first destruction photos) that sits between the the cathode pins of all the output tubes and ground. Then we've got these two smoked resistors right around the filter caps area as well as BBQ'ed wires coming off the same filter caps. More digging and discovery to follow :thumbsup:
 
Last edited:
I've had a look at the other forum areas but I didn't see anyone offering this service... Is there somewhere reputable I can send these tubes to for testing? I definitely don't have anything that can do the job on these. I'm also hesitant to do anything yet on this receiver until I can verify the tubes are in decent shape. Cheers for any suggestions you might have :)
 
I've had a look at the other forum areas but I didn't see anyone offering this service... Is there somewhere reputable I can send these tubes to for testing? I definitely don't have anything that can do the job on these. I'm also hesitant to do anything yet on this receiver until I can verify the tubes are in decent shape. Cheers for any suggestions you might have :)
@pac1085 has a few Tube testers one he built the RoeTest tube system and an older classic that m most people into tubes want their tubes tested on for some reason when the Roe is far superior .
Athanasios
 
Back
Top Bottom