• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Kenwood KR-9940 Quad Amp Project - Notes/Questions

guy232

Member
Note: Initial post is kinda long, it documents what I have done so far. Any advice on how to better do anything detailed thus far is very welcome. Future update posts will be shorter, dealing with 1-2 tasks presently at hand & likely including questions etc.

Foreword (Main post starts at the photo below)

Hello all, was unexpectedly given the ~47lb KR-9940 a week ago. Despite being the top of the model line, there isn't too much repair talk out there for this. My first non-stk module unit. I'm pretty new to this so i'll probably be encountering some problems that may be trivial to most but new to me, i'll be using this thread for the following:
  • Notes
  • Discussing future plans of action
  • Any cool details, service bulletins or potentially useful facts about the KR-9940 are extremely welcomed
  • Compiling list of different links to (some are ancient/archived) posts/websites discussing potentially useful KR-9940 repair info at the bottom of this first post
  • Any critiques or advice welcome, i'm open minded and always up for learning how to do something better
Much thanks to @rickl for helping out with some initial questions and pics. I'll be includig any key details from that here.


LINK TO SERVICE MANUAL PDF: https://www.hifiengine.com/manual_library/kenwood/kr-9940.shtml

Project start, looking inside, first inspection/probing


20190927_044321_compress10.jpg

The unit arrived in good shape. Supposedly worked fine in the past but was packed up & put away in a dry closet for many years until now.

Opening up (including face plate):
Removed 2x side wood, top cover, bottom cover, knobs.

Face plate:
The upper lamp pc board is screwed to the face with 2 screws OR you can disconnect the lamp board via the connector. CAUTION: If this is the first time, the connector pins are very weak in this area and the connector is likely siezed, risking ripping out the pins. I opted to remove the lamp board via the 2 screws on the face plate and sit them aside, we go back to them after we get the face off.

The manual is wrong and doesn't show the right things for removing face for me, some screws (including their mounting spots) didn't even exist such as the 2 on the underside middle of the main bezel. 12mm hex w/ washer on selector knob.
20191002_200406_compress84.jpg

Dealing w/ lamp board connectors:
I laid down some rags and propped up the board so I could soak the pins. I sprayed deoxit into syringe, dripped into each hole of connector and let it soak for a few hours, maybe it doesn't need that much time. A warm-hot air may help if you're in a cold climate. Next pinched each ends of the connectors and rocked horizontally just enough to feel some give. Then pulled straight off. No visible flexing or movement of pins were noticed.
NOTE: Pic below is just for example, the connectors aren't fully seated here
20191002_202528_compress41.jpg

Initial inspection (brief power up via DBT, bias check)
No visibly damaged components or heat stress spotted anywhere. Very minimal amount of dust. Largest piece of foreign debris was a hair. I did see a couple broken white plastic bead style cable ties but they were in the right positions, maybe broke by themselves. A bendable metal black cable holder was unbent, so probably someone has been in this unit before.

Plugged into DBT, powered on fine, let it idle for 5min, noticed a little heat on part of the heatsink, nothing major. Maybe I made the wrong choice but since the heatsink was unevenly heating I thought it may be best to check and adjust bias.

Bias: With unit directly connected to mains, powered on & all controls set to unloaded idle state, measure across the 4 emitter resistors of Q2, Q4, Q6, Q8. Had some trouble with this because the resistors were initially tucked about half way inside the heatsink very cramped & covered by wires.
overviewOfHeatsink.jpg
@rickl helped out by showing me a pic of what he did and I simply had to apply a little force to bend the resistors into position to easily attach my leads to. I used some long grabber hooks, I think croc clips would be risky if one pops off. You don't have to directly clip onto the resistors, a 3 pronged terminal strip is screwed into each transistor, I clipped onto this prong. My other clip was onto the 2nd lead of the resistor itself (this lead connects to the emitter of the transistor)
closeUpOfClipsGoingIn.jpg
With device unpowered, I turned on meter to make sure the resistance seemed right so I knew I was connected across the resistor. I then powered up on DBT to ensure I was clipped safely. I then removed DBT, powered up and adjusted each of the four VR1-4 to 25mV and let idle a bit til stabilized. The heatsink now idles at an even and low temperature.
monitoringQ4Bias.jpg
overheadViewClippedIn.jpg

Up next:

Now that the unit is idling at an even/low temperature I think the next step is probably going to be inspecting voltages on some of the power supply boards. Will update on that in next post.


List of links to sites/forums that talk about repairing the 9940:
Optional content for fellow owners. Despite digging deep over the span of a couple days I didn't find very much info online so I figured i'd share the list I made for myself. Searched archived pages, even used some non-english search engines in hopes of finding translateable stuff. If you know of any links please mention or PM and i'll add it here.
(will be filling this out soon)
 
Last edited:
Register to hide this ad
Welcome to AudioKarma. It looks like you have a very interesting project on your hands. The Kenwood top-of-the-line quadraphonic receiver looks like quite a beast. When you finish you repairs will you set up and listen to quadraphonic?
 
@tcdriver Will only be using 2ch for now due to only having 2 speakers. I do plan on going through the unit and verifying it's ready for quad mode via test equip.

A quick 2 part question, noticed something while powering up/down during clipping probes:
  1. Upon power on, relay clicks, all the VU needles sweep/bounce once. I thought this may be normal but I noticed in a couple 9940 vids that the needles didn't appear to bounce at startup?
  2. Sometimes at power on, there is brief hum/buzz/gong (not connected to speakers). It doesn't make this noise every time. Any idea what it may be? Very short video to demo the noise:
__________________________________
Inspecting the Power Supply


With the idle bias set, I turned attention to the power supply (PS).

Link to download schematic .pdf if interested (905kb, no acct required)

Excerpt of PS schematic (hi-res, can zoom):
SchematicExcerptPS.jpg
I wrote down the 19 test points on the bottom PS board, their expected voltage and then probed:
1: 50v... 56V
2. GND
3: 14V... 15.4V
4: 24V... 23V
5. GND
6. 10V... 9V
7. 10v... 9V
8. gnd
9. 24v... 23.7V
10. 14v.... 15.3V
11.gnd
12. 40v... 51.5V
13. 30v... 35.9V
(?) 14. UNSTABLE, rapid fluctuation -3 to -16mV
15. GND
(?) 16. UNSTABLE rapid fluctuation ~20mV to -28.3 mV
17. +b... 10.8V
18. gnd
19. -b... 11.3V

Most seem kinda close, there is no tolerance range shown in the manual. A couple seemed kind of questionable.
  • 12 should be 40V but reads 52V
  • 14 & 16 these rapidly fluctuate approx -20mV to +28mV. Assuming this isn't normal so I noted it.
  • 17 & 19 are B- and B+ whiich are the HV rail I believe? The values seemed low so I noted it.
By now the unit had been idling for 20 minutes. I measured temperature on the transistors w/ heatsinks via thermocouple:
overviewPSBoard_X00-1590-10.jpg
One was around 70°C, the others 60-65°C. I searched the forums and it seems those temperatures may be normal.

On the same board I noticed a dark area with what appears to be cooked glue:
zoomedOnDarkResistorAreaPSBoard.jpg
It looked like R9 was slightly discolored, the two smaller res near the caps are covered in cooked glue. There is no visible corrosion on these. All of the resistors tested i circuit, all are well within tolerance. Note the connector with the two eratic voltage points 14 & 16 is pointed out.

I next checked the small protection board, the transistor heatsink was around 55-60°C. No visible damage on this board at all except for a bit of darkening by the HS.

zoomedProtectionPSBoard_X13-1560-10.jpg
overview shot:
overviewProtectionPSBoard_X13-1560-10.jpg

I think I have enough data gathered from the above probing to be able to make my next moves. Just going to spend some time reading & researching trying to figure that out.
 
If you decide to recap the ps board 1590, be careful of the wirewraps on the left (marked 7 - 12). I broke a couple moving the board around for fresh caps. I too have dark looking heat damage around R9, R10 (120R/1W).
 
@rickl Thanks for the heads up! That may explain some of the soldered wire wraps on mine, unless that is factory. Have been doing some reading including going through many kenwood restorations and see that these wire wraps are prone to breaking on quite a few units.

Did you happen to check your PS voltages prior to recap, if so were they out of spec at much? In your thread I see you mention your voltages were good after a recap. Was advised that transistors may be the issue of my voltages, will attempt to source replacements for just in case and add those to the cap order.

P.s. I also just noticed your red wire on pin #9 is blackened identical to mine despite being wrapped. Not sure what that is about, maybe color transfer, doesn't really look burnt.
 
Last edited:
here are a couple known troublesome transistors on the PS board. I've not replaced them but if you are going to replace some transistors, i'd suggest looking at the sticky on the Solid State forum.

I *think* a 2SC1000 is on the PS board.
 
Further testing Power Supply due to incorrect voltages from last post.

Short version:

Desoldered transistors Q1-5, zener diode Dk1-3 and E caps. Tested resistors in circuit. Everything was to spec except for Q1, it was shorted C>E. I'm ignorant as to whether this failure was age related or possibly caused by some other component.

Replaced the following:
Qk1: 2SC789 (Y) > TIP31B
QK2-3: 2SC1000 (BL) > KSC1845
Qk4: 2SC1419 > MJE15032G
Qk5: 2SA755 > MJE15033G

I think this is ok for now to continue testing the unit with until the rest of the caps arrive. Will update.

___________
Full post:

I desoldered the wirewrapped pins to remove the whole board so I could take better pics.

Desoldered all testable components w/ FR-301 (1mm nozzle @ 350°C)

Cleaned glue, didn't cause any component damage.

The silkscreen has C19 polarity misprinted on this version. I checked @rickl 's KR9940 thread and his board was revised to fix this misprint. Note that C11 and C10 have extra spots drilled to fit a larger cap for some reason, maybe thats to fit a higher voltage for some reason?
F7JWEYh4_o.jpg


Only caused partial damage to one pad due to a very crimped factory lead on one of the big axial caps, will repair this just for practice when new caps arrive.

Speaking of axials, I wish I could use a radial but I think it may look wonky/hacky based on how far the traces are apart? I think my most reasonable option are these Illinois Capacitors

CJm4oqQn_o.jpg


With the board depopulated I thought it may be the best time to polish those header pins. I rolled up a kimwipe, dabbed a tiny spec of brasso on the middle and flossed each pin lightly. Rolled up a new wipe and flossed them with IPA. Then coated w/ Deoxit Gold.

zWTAfWgo_o.jpg


Used LCR-T4 tester, all caps tested to spec in regards to ESR, capacitance and VLoss. I installed a few replacement Nichicon HE/PW & Chemicon KY I had in stock. The original caps were reinstalled so I can test further until order arrives.
MYkvAnKH_o.jpg


Inspected Q1 (2SC789), it was shorted C>E. Not sure if this was just age related failure. Replaced with TIP31B.

Since Q1 was bad, I was advised to change out Q2-3 (2SC1000) were replaced with KSC1845. Wasn't sure if it was important to gain match but I found two that were 430 hFE.
WP8XYxBa_o.jpg


Q4 (2SC1419) passed DMM test, hFE tested low around 70ish, wasn't sure if that was normal so replaced w/ MJE15032G:
Yph6qT7j_o.jpg


Lastly, Q5 same situation as Q4. Replaced w/ MJE15033G:
bGVvfGWE_o.jpg


With the board back together I may reinstall it and continue testing or may wait until I create a new order for replacing electrolytics. I'm also wondering if Qk1 could've been damaged by an unknown fault from one of the other two power supply boards, which makes me think I should check those first. Not sure, will update.
 
Last edited:
got a pic of the PS board x00-1590-10? I'm looking at Ck14 next to Qk4. I might have this cap in backwards.
Yup I have a pic of x00-1590-10 in my previous post, 4th pic from the top if thats what you mean? I just compared your board to mine, your caps are all correct. Only difference I see is that your R7 (near Qk1) is a jumper wire instead of a 4.7Ω 2W. I've seen another one with a green wire replacing r7 aswell, maybe they phased out the resistor like mine has? Also your zener D1 isn't original, I forgot if you changed that?

I can take another shot here shortly, just resoldered it in this morning. Voltages seemed about right but Q1 heatsink was still nearly getting instant hot (~70C / 160F) maybe normal but I didn't prolong testing until I find out.
 
Last edited:
Ran into a problem and could use some advice:
Was checking bias again after some rework,was doing fine until I got to Q2.

Foreword, this amp has 8 to-3 2sd287, quasi-complementary output. Schematics are pictured below.

I had my red probe inside the heatsink connected to one end of emitter resistor R10 as shown in the pic below. My black probe claw was connected to the post that has the green wire & R10 lead soldered to it (which is also tied to the emitter lead of Q2.) I powered off, waited a few seconds then unclipped my black probe, orange spark. I powered back up after unclipping the leads and everything seemed normal: all 4 bias still same reading, DC offset still good and same values, PS voltages all good. I think I found wrong voltages on the Main Amp Board (I go into more detail about those voltages at the bottom of this post, first I want to show how/where the spark occured.)

The heatsink area is super tight so I wanted to tear down the amp block to show a clear "cut away" pic of exactly how my leads were connected to read bias for Q2
9CXhO45.jpg


Here is the type of claw probe I was using, pictured opening/closing to give an idea how it works:
YKMsPJS.jpg


Orange spark occured when I unclipped my black probe (kr9940 was first turned OFF) I do not know what the claw touched to cause the spark so I included some pics of the claw being opened while it was attached in the same way, maybe it will give clues - it mustve touched either the collector strap, that domed screw or the nearby emitter post?

WPINNd0.jpg


JDqsOer.jpg


rqfiL32.jpg


Here are pics of the main amp board schematic, the Amp board/heatsink schematic and block diagram

g4JQ6lB.jpg


yOQqEJJ.jpg


zsihMGQ.jpg

_____________

Now that the spark location is explained, here is where I found the incorrect voltages:

I checked voltages on the main amp board for the first time, i've not measured these prior to the spark. I think i'm probing the right spots but almost all the voltages were wrong so I powered down to ask for advice.

I probed at the numbered pins seen at the bottom on this pic
5idSJHl.jpg


Here are the voltages I got when I had black to chasis and red to the soldered pins numbered in white on the very bottom brown board (the ones below the wires)

PyUOw04.jpg




I pulled Q2 and it passed multimeter diode test. Any advice on this situation? Will continue to study this meanwhile.

Cheers fellas!
 
Last edited:
I would test Qe13 if you are getting B+ on the base.

pin 10 is -46? It should be +46. Might want to verify.

You might want to test all drivers (Qe13~Qe20).
 
Desoldered all 8 drivers and tested, seems good according to diode test.

tIIQPeX.jpg


I also desoldered one leg of the diode De1 just for fun, it also is good.

Is it possible for a spark to not cause damage?

I'm pretty sure that the bad voltages I got when probing pins 1-17 were written down properly but I will recheck after reassembling.

I will remove the other 7 2sd287 to test and reapply grease if they pass the diode tests. Then I can reassemble everything and re-check the voltages.
 
Last edited:
What a great job of posting this info - THANK YOU so much for taking the time to do so - I recently picked one of these monsters up and about to start working on it - will be checking back for more info and might be messaging you both for a little help / advise in the future - again THANKS MUCH to both of you !
 
@Juicer Feel free to bug me all you want via msg. If you're the kinda person who takes a bunch of pics of everything then please feel free to upload em all to imgur/google drive etc and send me the link.
 
Will do .... I just recently got it non functioning - - the protection relay was not coming in - did the obvious and found faulty fuse - got it to power up :) I then cleaned and lubed all the pots and got it working - sounded really nice but I noticed the right rear channel was not as robust as the other 3 channels and the VU meter showed that as well - but I used anyway until yesterday when I turned it on and it took longer than norm to hear the relays come in and when they did I noticed a HUM in all channels in all modes w/ nothing but power and speakers connected - still plays music when turned up above the HUM but the right rear channel is still lower. I read many that feel it is the filter caps but there is no sign of leakage or bulging so I am slow to want to order them - I am hoping to get a scope and working a deal out for Speakers and a Turntable, if that fails I am going to do a wholesale swap of all the caps on the power supply bds saving the two 15000uf 50V caps for last - again thanks for the postings, it was very informative.
 
Just wanted to update, been busy with life/family recently. This project is still #1 on the list!


Brief overview of my problem discussed in my last update where I left off:
Was double checking bias voltage, disconnected my negative test hook from output Q2 and caused a spark while the unit was turned off. Unit still operated afterwards but I was concerned that a spark always means damage was caused(?)

small progress update:
I have removed all eight TO-3 (2sd287) from their sockets. All passed multimeter diode test. All tested good on my chinese $10 LCR.

All eight output readouts on LCR:
2sd287_LCR_readings.jpg

As I understand: this doesn't mean the outputs are 100% good because these tests don't test the OP transistors at normal operating voltage? I think I now have to test their voltages with them in circuit while powered up and idling?

Going to clean, regrease & reinstall the outputs/micas and report back with findings when time permits.
 
keep us updated. I think I finally got the last marginal part replaced in my KR9940 and it has been running for a few hours. I blew this up at least 3 times. Everytime, RR failed (Qe13/Qe17 area). The frustrating thing is it isn't that complicated but I couldn't keep it running without it smoking after a bit. I think it was a combination of broken/marginal solder joints and stressed out parts. The amp board traces get fragile after replacing components several times so be careful.

Good luck!
 
I agree w/ Rick, I had to repair a couple traces from removing parts - I found that Q4 on the PS Bd was bad causing no B+, and after replacing it R7 flamed and smoked, then I lost 30V - Q1 was found to bad. I also found cold solder joints on the board. I was about to give up when I found C18 was bad - I then replaced all the transistors, diodes and caps on that board. Put it all back together and still had HUM - was about to throw in the towel when I replaced C18 again for shits and giggles and found it to be bad - As I am typing this I am knocking wood and happy to say that the hum is gone and it is playing well. GL to you both - I will follow this thread and I hope I can be of help.
 
I finally returned the 4490 back to the owner today. It was working great for several days after Re53 fried (Qe17 emitter). He is enjoying it (and hasn't had it working for over 25 years so very excited).

Answering questions may be difficult but I'll help where I can.

rick
 
Back
Top Bottom