• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Klh model 20's

guest117

Active Member
FOUND A PAIR OF VINTAGE KLH MODEL 20'S AT A YARD SALE FOR 5 BUCKS
any thought or opinions on these , excellent cond about a 9 out of 10
they have a switch on the back and rca type connector
 
Last edited:
Register to hide this ad
Good speakers. They are the 4 ohm version of the 17's and were part of the Model Twenty System. Recap them, install binding posts (don't forget to plug up that RCA jack) and enjoy!

Dave
 
Last edited:
Good speakers. They are the 4 ohm version of the 17's and were part of the Model Twenty System. Recap them, install binding posts (don't forget to plug up that RCA jack) and enjoy!

Dave

And that about sums it up. They're quite good speakers with a lot of fans here.

It used to be conventional wisdom to re-coat the cloth woofer surrounds as a matter of course but a: unnecessarily slathering some substance or orther onto the surrounds can seriously reduce compliance and, therefore, degrade the performance and b: too much information out there as to the correct material to use. Some of it seems to be fine (when needed) but some doesn't.

John
 
Found mine a couple of days ago and posted pictures yesterday, they sound very nice I think you will enjoy them.
 
Good speakers. They are the 4 ohm version of the 17's and were part of the Model Twenty System. Recap them, install binding posts (don't forget to plug up that RCA jack) and enjoy!

Dave

And I found the other half of that system , turntable ,fm only without speakers. Is sitting on the counter now for lack of time to check out blown fuse issue.
 
Getting back to speaker coating the cloth, what do most people use. I would think you would need something to make them somewhat less dry, but what do you use that doesn't rot them faster?

My disclaimer is I won't hold anyone liable for any suggestions. I probably won't do it anyway.
 
i just got a pair of those myself.
i recapped them...there's one big cap in there that goes to both the woof and tweet. i got close on the values. Made a big difference in the ( previously ) distorted high end.
My cloth surrounds still have their rubber in good shape...leave well enough alone.
 
Getting back to speaker coating the cloth, what do most people use. I would think you would need something to make them somewhat less dry, but what do you use that doesn't rot them faster?

My disclaimer is I won't hold anyone liable for any suggestions. I probably won't do it anyway.

I used rubber cement. It seemed to help (highly scientific, huh?).
 
Getting back to speaker coating the cloth, what do most people use. I would think you would need something to make them somewhat less dry, but what do you use that doesn't rot them faster?

My disclaimer is I won't hold anyone liable for any suggestions. I probably won't do it anyway.

KLH used a mixture of butyl and toluene. Other DIY materials include siliconized latex caulk thinned with water, Aleene's Tacky Glue, Permatex Form A Gasket, etc.

It's not so much a question of rotting the surrounds but just adding too much material, making the surround too stiff (uncompliant).

John
 
Last edited:
klh 20's

in any event the cabs are beautiful !!! the grain on in the wood is full fancy grade - lots of depth , i think i'll be hangin onto these for a while -
OH yea - they sound amazing also , i never knew these older speakers were so capable , in my late twenty's i passed up all types of vintage speakers from my brother in law that worked in a high end audio shop in New Haven , Ct.
AR , KLH , JENSEN , ... i thought i had to have the latest thing from Boston, Polk etc .... now in my late 40's , i have to admit i love the older speakers a good turntable and a tube amp - the sound , the look , the quality , the heft !!
anybody feeling the same :yes:
 
It's not so much a question of rotting the surrounds but just adding too much material, making the surround too stiff (uncompliant).

John

Using the wrong material is just as bad as using "too much"! Unless you have the ability to measure the results, it is a crapshoot.

Ebay's "Vintage AR" is now carrying the proper butyl/toluene compound. It is thin, and will not affect compliance. I have some available as well.

Roy
 
klh model 20 bind post and recap

would somone post pics and description of installing bind posts on these speakers , also any tthought on the proper recap..thanks gang ! :thmbsp:
 
Back
Top Bottom