• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

KLH Model One & Janszen Model 130 (Recap/Restoration Help)

I only heard them briefly at the seller’s house, so at this point, my brain will probably trick itself into thinking they’ve improved, even if they didn’t. Also, the sealer was a little over $30, so that’s all the more reason for the sugar pill to taste a little sweeter. Worst case scenario, I’ll tell myself that it’ll help to preserve/protect them. As we all know, this hobby is one of the best ways other than joining a pharmaceutical trial to experience the placebo effect…

Interestingly enough, I couldn’t find an email address, so I called the phone number listed on the website and David Janszen himself actually picked up. Talk about customer service! I made sure to do as much research as I could before calling as to not waste anyone’s time. As it turns out, David was happy to help and we spent nearly 20 minutes on the phone discussing these old speakers. At this point, I’m fairly confident that I have what I need to get the job done correctly.

Highlights from our discussion:
  • The 20uF cap can be replaced with a bi-polar polypropylene cap and doesn’t need a super high voltage rating. I ended up going with a Dayton Precision Audio cap rated for 250V (the smallest rating I could find at this capacitance value). These are the types of big, radial caps that you often can see in crossovers. I was told that 250V should be more than enough.
  • To replace the selenium stacks, you can use three of the 1N4007 wired in series. David said to be careful about the polarity of the diodes as the polarity in the drawings was often mixed up by accident. These drawings were in the early days of solid state, so a lot of the designers were still getting used to things being directional.
  • If one does carry out this replacement, you must also replace P-1 with a 50kohm pot (David says linear is fine) and add a 5kohm/0.5w resistor in series with the AC. I’ll try to post an updated schematic and include this info on the drawing. For those of us who don’t have an intuitive understanding of circuit design, I think this might be helpful to some in the future.
Treating those dried out cloth surrounds will give you a lot more than a placebo effect, IMO. RoyC did a great job developing the stuff, I've used it on all of my dozens of KLH restores and always noticed an immediate night/day improvement in bass. I'll also opine that the dope stabilizes the suspension and may help to prevent over-excursion.
 
Interestingly enough, I couldn’t find an email address, so I called the phone number listed on the website and David Janszen himself actually picked up. Talk about customer service! I made sure to do as much research as I could before calling as to not waste anyone’s time. As it turns out, David was happy to help and we spent nearly 20 minutes on the phone discussing these old speakers. At this point, I’m fairly confident that I have what I need to get the job done correctly.
That's so cool- standing behind an almost 70 year old product.
And props to you for taking it to the nth degree. Should indeed
be done correctly.

I'd follow you on the tweeters, but I think the transformers are
toast on mine. And they're just not high enough on the fix-it
list to pursue replacements yet.
 
Treating those dried out cloth surrounds will give you a lot more than a placebo effect, IMO. RoyC did a great job developing the stuff, I've used it on all of my dozens of KLH restores and always noticed an immediate night/day improvement in bass. I'll also opine that the dope stabilizes the suspension and may help to prevent over-excursion.
That’s what I was under the impression of as well. I think mine weren’t all that badly dried-out, but at worst, it’s still a good instance of preventative maintenance. They certainly look refreshed.
 
That's so cool- standing behind an almost 70 year old product.
And props to you for taking it to the nth degree. Should indeed
be done correctly.

I'd follow you on the tweeters, but I think the transformers are
toast on mine. And they're just not high enough on the fix-it
list to pursue replacements yet.
How about it… I was impressed as well. That call made my day.

As for transformers, David mentioned that he has seen a thin section of the winding tend to deteriorate in humid (southern/coastal) environments. With a careful sort of surgery, these corroded sections can be repaired. It reminds me of what can sometimes happen after awhile to those super thin wires in older Magnepans. I mentioned the electric fence transformers that I’ve seen people on here use, and David seemed to get a kick out of that — “Well, that’s one way to get a thousand watt transformer!”

I have tons of other projects that should be getting done before this, but taking this to the nth degree feels good for some reason. I feel like I got really lucky with these speakers, so maybe this is just some sort of twisted way of ‘giving back’… So far it’s been a great learning experience and an interesting history lesson.

I want this to be a good reference for people in the future, so I’ll be sure to finish documenting the process. I probably should have done separate threads for each of the speakers, but it is what it is.
 
End Results & Conclusion

Well, it looks like I managed to get these things running in tip-top shape. Thanks to those who were able to help. @RxDx, hopefully this thread will motivate you to get your Janszens up and running again… it’s definitely worth it.

For a better description of installing the new resistors, pots, capacitors and diodes, see attached photos. As it turns out, the diode polarity on my particular schematic seems to have been correct. I purchased everything from Parts Express and was pleased to see that the pots I ordered needed hardly any modification to be installed. The Janszen knobs fit on the shaft perfectly and only a small tab on the pot had to be nipped off. I like when no cosmetic modification to the antique gear is required, so installing these without having to do so felt good. The new Dayton capacitors also fit nicely into the original metal bands that held the old ones in place. Another win!

After recapping and replacing the aforementioned components, the Janszens fired right up on the first test run and blew me away. I wasted no time getting them set up with the KLH ones and all I can say is WOW!

Hopefully, this information will serve to help people with future restorations. I was lucky that no repairs were needed, but I can confirm that completing these steps resulted into a huge improvement in sound quality.

My review of these speakers:

FWIW, I don’t write for Sterophile, but with so few of these speakers out there in this configuration/condition, I figured this might be helpful for some.


At first, I could not believe that speakers were sounding this good back in the late 50’s. I’m still coming to terms with this discovery, but I still can’t help but feel a little shocked. In terms of clarity and tightness, both the KLH Model Ones and Janszen Model 130s still seem to hold their own when compared to modern speakers of similar size/price. In pairing them together, I feel that I’ve discovered a portal into the old “east coast” sound that I’d been looking for when I bought these. They’re clear, crisp, clean, and refined.

Could they rattle the windows and shake the walls? Maybe. But I can tell that they don’t want to, and likely never did in the first place. These aren’t JBL L100s, and they’re not meant for blasting Free Bird for the whole county to hear. Instead, Kloss, Vilcher, Janszen & co. sought out to bring recordings to life and transport the listener to the music. These are very good at that. They’re content playing heavier rock, but they seem to prefer classical, jazz, and lighter folk rock. These are not made to blast rap or dubstep, and I feel that doing so would be a criminal offense.

When I tested them with some old Keith Jarrett Blue Note recordings, I could close my eyes and feel like I was there. I have plenty of other speakers that share this superpower, but these really surpassed my expectations. The room around me disappeared and suddenly I was experiencing a live performance in NYC from the late 90s. The dynamics of Jarrett’s playing were flawlessly reproduced by the Janszens. For the first few minutes of listening, I didn’t notice the KLH Model Ones as they waited for their cue. After a few choruses, Gary Peacock came in on the double bass and the four KLH drivers seamlessly reproduced his solo. I play both the piano and double bass, so the realness of the reproduction is important to me. These passed the test with flying colors. The fact that a 70-year-old speaker can sound just like my double bass absolutely floored me.

After this, I listened to Diana Krall’s “How Deep is the Ocean”. This recording really showcased the low end abilities of the KLHs and the uncolored accuracy of the Janszens. After this, I moved on to Steely Dan and Paul Simon. Both are known for their excellent recordings , and both sounded great with this setup. Deep, controlled lows and crystal clear highs. No complaints here.

In terms of general usability, these earned another high score. They don’t seem to really mind what powers them, unlike most Magnepans, for example. They played nice with my Cambridge Audio AXR85, which can safely give these 16ohm speakers a little over 40W per channel. The KLH sealed cabinet design also allows me to cram these monolithic giants into a 12’x12’ room, where they sat maybe 10” from the wall. Unlike most ported speakers, these seem to be very forgiving in terms of room placement. Admittedly, the Janszens were a bit more difficult. They didn’t mind being close to a wall, but they certainly do “beam” and create both sweet spots and dead spots. This is just the way it goes with electrostatic speakers. The array in which Janszen placed the drivers minimizes this effect to a certain extent, but there is still a blatant sweet spot that they create. Leaving this zone results in a strange effect where you have to check if there is maybe something wrong with your ears. For attentive listening, where one can place a sofa in the sweet spot, you can’t beat the sound. For passive listening in a kitchen (where you’d be walking around the room), these aren’t the best choice. I hear that modern Janszens have eliminated this beaming effect and are even more forgiving in terms of room placement. For what it’s worth, it only took me about 20 minutes to get these arranged in a way that worked best in my space. From my seat, they sound wonderful.

When it came time to reinstall the grills, I decided not to… at least not now. I have a cat that once mistook a pair of Smaller Advents for scratching posts and I fear the similar fabric would be too enticing for him to resist. The KLH speakers are admittedly pretty ugly without the grills, but at least the Janszens are nice to look at. Since they’re not in the living room, I chose to not let this bother me. I’d rather preserve the like-new condition of the original grills and maybe make a new set if it does bother me. We’ll see.

In terms of the separate components, the Janszens sound incredibly transparent — much more so than anything else I’ve ever heard from a vintage speaker (and many newer ones, too). I can’t sing their praises enough. I fear that these have instilled a love for electrostatics within me that will probably cost me a ton money in the future. If I win the lottery, I’ll be giving David Janszen another call and placing an order… Seriously - these things are really easy on the ears. Even at a higher volume, there’s no shrillness or listening fatigue to worry about, even after a few hours of enjoyment.

As for the KLH Model Ones, they delivered exactly what I was expecting: very tight, deep bass that is characterized by their acoustic suspension design. To me, it’s the epitome of “more surface area = more better”. It does not come as a surprise that these four massive drivers in two huge cabinets sound this good. How could they not? Sealed enclosures also mean easier room placement and more accuracy in sound reproduction, among other things. Historical significance aside, these are still some really nice sounding speakers. Not quite as shockingly nice as the Janszens, but a big step up from my old OLAs. If anything, it’s closer to the low end presence of stacked OLAs, but the Model One still takes the cake.

Looking back, Janszen’s design hit the market a couple of years before KLH, so it seems to me that the Model One was designed to perfectly compliment the Janszen Model 130. Even the little shelf at the top of the cabinet fits them like a glove. The two come together seamlessly and perform very well. I have not heard the KLH Model Five tweeters and likely never will, but I’d be surprised if they could beat these electrostatics.

I started this “journey” when I decided I wanted to pick up an old pair of KLH speakers. I was searching FB Marketplace for the Model 6 when I came across these and I’m glad I went the route I did. In the end, all I can say is that if you see these for sale in your area, buy them! You won’t regret it.
 

Attachments

  • BCD363F0-017D-4D6F-9819-526636C11D79.jpeg
    BCD363F0-017D-4D6F-9819-526636C11D79.jpeg
    117.6 KB · Views: 33
  • 440DD2AA-A425-4A26-90E1-C7A428DB23B1.jpeg
    440DD2AA-A425-4A26-90E1-C7A428DB23B1.jpeg
    116 KB · Views: 34
Super work and nice review! You have definitely encouraged me
to get the Janszens finished. Maybe that will happen :-)
 
So I just picked up a set of these beauties along with some custom built janszen woofer cabinets which I’ll probably make a separate post about. Anyway. My question is did you measure the voltages after you got some these modifications? I replaced the diodes and pot and only have 600vdc the output of the diodes. I also have 600vac coming out of the transformer. The diagram shows it should be 1100v. Also is the diode in your final schematic polarity correct? I also was able to pop the cover off the front by pushing it from inside the cabinet if anyone is interested in seeing what they look like. IMG_4297.jpeg
 
Reference is made earlier about replacing P-1 with a 50K pot but I cannot find the original P-1 anywhere on any of the diagrams? We will be putting a trio of 1n4007 in for each of the original seleniums and the resistor in primary of the AC power xfmr but lost on this other aspect. Thank you.
 
I now wonder if there has been conflation of info on the 130 and the KLH 9. We will be attacking a set of nines not the 130s or ones. Do we think a pot or resistor should be put in the AC primary? One statement I read was that no provision needs to be made for the higher volts silicon diodes will make vs original seleniums. But the idea of this resistor or pot would indicate otherwise. Thank you
 
I’m not a fan of the pot on the ac line especially since I already had one burn up on me but I guess it’s a better option that the 1000v dc line.
 
Back
Top Bottom