• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

KLH speakers reference thread (original models/Henry Kloss era) 1957-1977

I did a little video this morning of my 1963 Six's with the Scott LK-72.
I've linked this in the video thread, but thought it would be good in the KLH reference thread as well. This is to demonstrate that they are not at all lacking in the high end, and the excellent bass these have when the woofers are sealed properly.
Glenn
 
I did a little video this morning of my 1963 Six's with the Scott LK-72.
I've linked this in the video thread, but thought it would be good in the KLH reference thread as well. This is to demonstrate that they are not at all lacking in the high end, and the excellent bass these have when the woofers are sealed properly.
Glenn

Wow Glenn, Fantastic!

Sounds great, even on small headphones.

Beautiful Scott too!
 
Last edited:
Wow Glenn, Fantastic!

Sounds great, even on small headphones.

Beautiful Scott too!
Thanks stevo!
Any of the videos that have been posted in the video thread must be listened to with headphones. Obviously nowhere as good as being there, but it gives you the idea of the sound.
The Scott is excellent. I wish I could have built it from the kit.
Cheers, Glenn
 
Can you KLH gurus please tell me your experience with independent wires connected to B and C terminals of the sixes vs jumpers?

Running additional wire from same channel, bi wired.

It could be me and placebo effect but I notice a diffence in the meters on the amp and slight improvement in sound.

E8E2158C-D946-4950-A559-0298342CE62B.jpeg
 

Attachments

  • 3FE4243E-C645-4E6E-961B-5130ED326518.jpeg
    3FE4243E-C645-4E6E-961B-5130ED326518.jpeg
    56.9 KB · Views: 5
An additional wire from the same channel of the amp? Should be no
difference. You're just letting the amp make the connection between
terminals B and C instead of the jumper on the back of the speaker.
 
Yes, same channel.

So will running wire C from another channnel make a difference?

I thought running two wires from same channel is the same as bi wiring or is the purpose of this terminal design for bi amping?

No?
 
Last edited:
It says on the terminal plate: "to disconnect high frequency section..."
This was so an external tweeter could be used with only the woofer.
Biamping would (ideally) require + and - wires separately to each
driver. You can see this on later ARs, for instance. There are four
terminals on the back plate, with two connectors.

AR-9:

terminals.JPG
 
Last edited:
Okay thanks for your input!

The only thing that I see that could make a difference that is that the jumpers are not cooper but some other type of steel.
 
Last edited:
Good thread guys. I have 6's built in 72, ...23's built in 70 and 24's ... unknown build date.

I like them all. The 23's are very similar to the 6's ...slightly larger cabinet on the 23's and a little nicer cabinetry.

I've sealed the woofers on all of them, but have not done any recapping. Was it Glenn that mentioned sealing the dust caps? Never thought of that, but sounds like a good idea.

They all sound nice still, but might sound even better recapped.

I usually use them with my fisher 500b and there seems to be good synergy there.
 
I've sealed the woofers on all of them, but have not done any recapping. Was it Glenn that mentioned sealing the dust caps? Never thought of that, but sounds like a good idea.
There was a KLH service bulletin i remember reading(it’s probably quoted somewhere on this site) that mentioned sealing the dust caps when sealing the woofers.
 
I did a little video this morning of my 1963 Six's with the Scott LK-72.
I've linked this in the video thread, but thought it would be good in the KLH reference thread as well. This is to demonstrate that they are not at all lacking in the high end, and the excellent bass these have when the woofers are sealed properly.
Glenn

Outstanding Glenn!
 
Awesome info above.

Jeeez ...I'm listening to my 23's now. Not missing my Paradigm's much at the moment. I'll buy a new tweet for them because I like them a lot, but the KLH and Fisher combo is a keeper.

Playing some vinyl through a Technics Sl1900...a bit of sleeper automatic deck imo... Denon DL 103 cart into a Beyer Dynamics SUT.
 
Thanks! I'd enjoy hearing some Twenty Threes. Right now I have
pairs of Model Ones, Model Fours, and Model Seventeens. I'm
using the Seventeens as tweeters for the Ones :-)

I've started an index on the first page, heading of the first post,
actually, pointing to the svc bulletin above, for instance. It will
grow.
 
Awesome info above.

Jeeez ...I'm listening to my 23's now. Not missing my Paradigm's much at the moment. I'll buy a new tweet for them because I like them a lot, but the KLH and Fisher combo is a keeper.

Playing some vinyl through a Technics Sl1900...a bit of sleeper automatic deck imo... Denon DL 103 cart into a Beyer Dynamics SUT.
I also had the SL-1900 with the Denon DL103. Very nice TT, but moved onto the SL-1210 M5G, but kept the cart, sold the 1900 to my brother and he loves it.
 
Last edited:
"Instructions, KLH Model One, Two, and Three Low-Frequency Reproducers"

index.php


index.php


index.php


index.php
 
Back
Top Bottom