• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Klipsch heresy

bill1956

Active Member
Hi all. Im wondering if anyone can give me a little info on klipsch heresy speakers. There is some for sale and i have been thinking about getting them. They just say klipsch heresy loud speaker system on the back of them on a old piece of paper. Quite a few people here have good things to say i just dont know if there is bad/good models or if there all the same.....anything would help. THANKS
 
Register to hide this ad
Hi all. Im wondering if anyone can give me a little info on klipsch heresy speakers. There is some for sale and i have been thinking about getting them. They just say klipsch heresy loud speaker system on the back of them on a old piece of paper. Quite a few people here have good things to say i just dont know if there is bad/good models or if there all the same.....anything would help. THANKS

If available, meaning a local seller, the only way to answer is go and listen to them. I've also read good things about these Heresy's, on the other hand I've also read about people simply not liking them.
 
The serial numbers will allow you to determine when they were made and what vintage they are. Over the years the Klipsch heritage speakers were occasionally tweaked for performance but basically remained "the same". Go listen to them if you can and realize that like most Klipsch speakers of that caliber they will reveal all the limitations of the system that is feeding them, so they could sound terrible.

I heard a pair three months ago that were connected to a Kenwood top-of-the-line 70's receiver. The whole system (and this was just the secondary system, the main system had tube gear and LaScalas) was immaculate and those speakers blew me away. They sounded so good. It's worth investigating.

They tend to be loved or hated, no middle ground. Biggest complaint is not enough bass.
 
I didn't like mine. Lots of midrange. Not much else. They'd be good speakers for mandolin music.
 
I still mourn the day I decided to sell mine. They are missed and I am still playing Speaker roulette trying to replace them.
 
There are four distinct Heresy models (not counting the Industrial/Professional models).

H 700. Earliest version.
Heresy I. Same as the H 700, only a bit simpler cabinet. Drivers all mount from behind the motorboard.
Heresy II. Many folks least favorite Heresy. Drivers mount from the front.
Heresy III. The latest and perhaps the best (sounding).

There are Decorator models of the I (grill-less), Professional models of the I & II (grill-less, and often ported).

Average used price (I & II) around $375 (+/- $50).
 
I feel that it's only fair to warn you... To many Heresys are the "gateway drug". Before long you'll be looking for a pair of Cornwalls. Then come La Scalas or sometimes Belles if you have the coin. Before you know it you'll be Jonesing for a pair of Kilpschorns. And then a second pair and a third and then...

But it doesn't stop there... Then comes the updates and modifications They can easily become a profound addiction.

Go ahead and ask me how I know this... :)

Yes I'm hooked... The current collection includes a pair of Cornscalas, a pair of Cornwall IIs and 3 Heresys. This is the fewest heritage Klisch speakers I've had here in a long time. The scary part is that I'm a single guy with a very small house. A sickness I tell you a sickness.

Wouldn't have it any other way though.
 
Last edited:
Sorry to hear that... :(

I'm still in the Klipsch family. Used to have some KG4s and I current have KG3s. I wouldn't turn down a Cornwall, Khorn, or Jub, but when people describe other models as "sounds like a bigger Heresy" I'm not exactly sold.
 
Heresys (always hated making these plural) are tricky. I've heard them sound awful. They are more amplifier and environment sensitive than any other speaker I know of.

I've also heard them sound wonderful (especially with a tube amp).

I don't own a pair. I went straight to Cornwall and Klipschorn mainlining.
 
Bill: if the speakers have drivers which mount from the rear side of the motor board then the back baffle is removable by screws. You will find that there are screw terminals in the crossover. You will want to have a screwdriver handy and some contact cleaner. Clean all the contact surface areas. You can use some dielectric gel or Vaseline on the contacts when you reassemble. Given the age of the capacitors in the crossover you are advised to replace them some time soon. New caps will make the speakers sound better than new and they don't have to cost a lot of coin, see Bob Crites for parts. You would also be well advised to replace your K77 tweeters with new Crites CT125 tweeters which are a direct drop in for the stock units but which are very much better units which have excellent extension out to 20 KHz. (the K77 do not). Do yourself a favour and make sure that the cabinet and drivers are all 100% air tight. This will get you up and running and sounding good. There are other things that you can do but for now you will have a great sounding reliable set of high efficiency speakers. Bob Crites is your very best source of parts and information and Bob and his son Michale are great to deal with. If you get this far and you love your Heresy then when you get curious about more you can ask here again. Best regards Moray James.
 
I love them also. In fact after selling my first pair, I bought a second pair and I need more speakers like a hole in the head. The are very sensitive to room placement for sure. If you don't like the way they sound, move them around to different locations. It can make huge improvements to the bass output. They image great to boot and yes they love tubes also. If you have a sub, you will soon be in love with them.
 
Back
Top Bottom