• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Klipsch heresy

I used a pair of KG4s for training wheels first.:D

Hey there BP. Im Pete from San Jose. I gave you some sansui rack handles a few yrs back.
I'm a new owner of some KG4s and plan to have them for some time to come.
They sound great with a slite lack of midrange tho. But am not complaining. I like em.
cheers:music::banana:
 
Thanks all...I will be getting them tomorrow and will open em up and get to cleaning. And i will be hooking 2 dynaco st 70s to em....I cant wait
 
Heresys (always hated making these plural) are tricky. I've heard them sound awful. They are more amplifier and environment sensitive than any other speaker I know of.

I've also heard them sound wonderful (especially with a tube amp).

I don't own a pair. I went straight to Cornwall and Klipschorn mainlining.

I would concur with this. I had a pair, didn't like them at all. Sold them to a guy that brought his own tube amp for a listen. With his amp, and his choice of music, they sounded very nice.

bs
 
Hey there BP. Im Pete from San Jose. I gave you some sansui rack handles a few yrs back.
I'm a new owner of some KG4s and plan to have them for some time to come.
They sound great with a slite lack of midrange tho. But am not complaining. I like em.
cheers:music::banana:
\
Good to hear from you, Pete.

I really like my KG4s. Even though I've "upgraded", I won't part with mine.

And those handles are doing service right now!:thmbsp:
 
Im going to use a hafler dh 100...Although im looking to upgrade my pre too. I really wish my ka 7100 was capable. I love the silver haha.
 
the best combo with my Heresy speakers was a KA-7300. I didn't have my tubes yet so I could not compare. That combo was just fantastic. I miss them both.
 
I feel that it's only fair to warn you... To many Heresys are the "gateway drug". Before long you'll be looking for a pair of Cornwalls. Then come La Scalas or sometimes Belles if you have the coin. Before you know it you'll be Jonesing for a pair of Kilpschorns. And then a second pair and a third and then...

But it doesn't stop there... Then comes the updates and modifications They can easily become a profound addiction.

Go ahead and ask me how I know this... :)

Yes I'm hooked... The current collection includes a pair of Cornscalas, a pair of Cornwall IIs and 3 Heresys. This is the fewest heritage Klisch speakers I've had here in a long time. The scary part is that I'm a single guy with a very small house. A sickness I tell you a sickness.

Wouldn't have it any other way though.

What is your impression of the Cornscalas. I am considering building up a pair. I am only 1.5 hours from Bob's digs.

I like the Heresy. Proper speaker placement is critical. Most folks love placing them in the corner. I like them square with the wall about two feet from the wall and pulled in from the corner at least three feet. They also need to be on stands tilted back a little.

The other alternative is to do what we did in college. Form a band, have four guys from Hope, AR in it. Build a sound system around Heresy's and Lascala's. Use whatever we could fit in the house when not gigging for our stereo system driven buy a couple monster Marantz and McIntosh amps. The pre amps varied. Sometimes we just used Marshall and Fender heads for pre's. The source was an AR turntable with a Shure cartridge. and a Revox RtoR. No bass problems at all with the Heresy's.
 
Last edited:
Heresys (always hated making these plural) are tricky. I've heard them sound awful. They are more amplifier and environment sensitive than any other speaker I know of.

I've also heard them sound wonderful (especially with a tube amp).

I don't own a pair. I went straight to Cornwall and Klipschorn mainlining.


I agree, I have both Cornwall and Heresy II. My Heresy if not placed in the corners of a room towed in are a little weak(unless you push them then the 12" drivers are nice and tight sounding) on Bass after owning Cornwalls for
32 years.The 15" Corns in the larger ported cabinet have Great BASS. I have had Fisher, McIntosh,Yamaha HD AVR and my old Kenwood amps on the Heresy they sounded about the same to me. The Kenwood is a 1990 model AVR with a manual 7 band Eq.I have used this on them for years now:music:
I have a R2R hooked up to them in the bedroom that gives them the warm tube sound. I read where members post they have shrill etc.......... I have always been able adjust the Eq. to suit the music and the room I am playing them in. If you use the
Heresy for fronts on a 2.1 HT, a sub it makes them sound like a Cornwall.
Good luck on your hunt, Forte have good bass too. I do like a 3 way Klipsch better then the 2 ways but that is just what I was raised around. Pop had Khorns, LaScala etc back in day. I am Hooked I like them ALL.
 
Resurrecting. Just got a pair of what I think are I's .. the label is flaking off. I'm cleaning the cabinets and contacts then will see if a crossover rebuild is In my future. All I know is they work right now and 100% original. I rotated the bass drivers and am re-finishing the walnut cabs as they need it badly. Inside though was real clean.

After that I will see if its sell or keep tinkering.

I have RF63's running right now and frankly, they sound great and I doubt they will be beat. So far nothing has won against them. Sure I;ve gotten deeper bass with others but overall sound .. RF63's are nice.
 
Resurrecting. Just got a pair of what I think are I's .. the label is flaking off. I'm cleaning the cabinets and contacts then will see if a crossover rebuild is In my future. All I know is they work right now and 100% original. I rotated the bass drivers and am re-finishing the walnut cabs as they need it badly. Inside though was real clean.

After that I will see if its sell or keep tinkering.

I have RF63's running right now and frankly, they sound great and I doubt they will be beat. So far nothing has won against them. Sure I;ve gotten deeper bass with others but overall sound .. RF63's are nice.

Congrats. If the rear board is removable and the drivers are screwed from the inside you have HI. Call Bob Crites he will tell what model and year. raise them up so the mid horn is at ear level and tow them in and set back the same distance they are apart and I bet they will sound a bit better if they are playing correctly. A fresh pair of HI should give those RF-63 a run for the money. I added a sub to my HII and WOW nice combo. Now my Cornwalls ...........they don't need a sub as my Class A Yammie A-1000 jams them great with solid bass. :music:
 
Hereys are awesome, with their high sensitivity they don't need gobs of power but sound great with it. Placement in the corners helps the bass output, but I found they sound better out from the corners along the long wall slightly toed in so they cross just in front of my seated position. With this placement the mid-range is very sweet, and helps to widen the sweet spot. Even when sitting at a very acute angle off to one side this arrangement produces a strong stereo image. If sitting to one side you will be closer to one speaker, but at a more direct angle with the other, so the stereo image is retained. And with the added subs, being bass shy isn't an issue anyway.

Enjoy your new speakers.

P.S. I prefer the series one over the later iterations.

 
Resurrecting. Just got a pair of what I think are I's .. the label is flaking off. I'm cleaning the cabinets and contacts then will see if a crossover rebuild is In my future. All I know is they work right now and 100% original. I rotated the bass drivers and am re-finishing the walnut cabs as they need it badly. Inside though was real clean.

After that I will see if its sell or keep tinkering.

I have RF63's running right now and frankly, they sound great and I doubt they will be beat. So far nothing has won against them. Sure I;ve gotten deeper bass with others but overall sound .. RF63's are nice.

I had seller's remorse from selling my HBR-I, a year ago. I bought a pair of Walnut Heresy yesterday. I got them to be the center for some Cornwall.


I like my RF63. They do go a lot deeper than the Heresy, but I wouldn't bet on the 63 against the Forte.
 
Interesting comments. Indeed my Heresys have removable back panel and the drivers mount from inside.

Have the cabs sanded down. Just enough veneer thickness to get the stains out. Now I have to decide between oil or spraying them with a satin lacquer. Doing the cabs before I even try them in house as they were plenty dirty on the outside. I do woodwork all the time so its not much more work for me to refin that give a good cleaning.
 
I've heard Heresy Is powered by tubes (decent, but not great), Heresy IIs with modifications (titanium diaphragms and crossover recap) and a subwoofer powered by tubes (better than the Heresy Is, but still lacking), and Heresy III clones (my Heresy Xs) with a subwoofer and powered by tubes. The Heresy III clones won hands down and I sold my Heresy IIs. I've been tempted to trick out the ALK Cornscala-Wall crossover even more a la SET12's Fortes, but can't justify the expense right now.

-D
 
A now discontinued 12" powered Dayton sub I was able to pick up VERY VERY cheaply from Parts Express. Not anywhere near in the same league as my servo controlled sub in the bedroom but perform adequately. As the Heresys play relatively low enough compared to small sats the subs aren't required to do much heavy lifting as it were. Liked these and looked long and hard to find the last few available, reason is they offer line out on the plate amp. This is a feature quickly disappearing from subs, even it seems from the higher end units never mind the more affordable subs. Their response is rated down to 25hz so set up this way they make the Heresys into real full range transducers with the rapid response and articulation the Heresy is known for. The Heresy was designed as a center channel for theater use so deep bass wasn't the main criteria, articulation was and here they do shine.
 
Back
Top Bottom