• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Lava Lamps

@dietz31684 Sweet, I love the color combination! From what I can tell, it appears to be all metal construction..?

That was mainly the reason why I looked up Mathmos lamps, as they appear to be sturdy & long-lasting. I've seen a lot of lava lamps recently, but unfortunately majority of them are plastic-based and/or they're too small. Some of them even feature LED lighting, in combination with the heating element which I find pointless. I also find it potentially problematic in the long run, as LEDs have tendency to fail ... usually when you least expect.

On the other hand, even if Mathmos lamps /are/ CNC machined, those prices are still absurd IMHO. Heck, even just the replacement bottle alone will cost you 60€. So unless the content of those bottles is otherwise magical (and will take you on a mystery tour), they are probably charging you for the brand name alone & nothing else.
 
With care a Mathmos lamp can last 50 years,could a cheaper plastic LED half price knockoff do the same?
Thats what your paying for.
 
On my way home from work a decade or so back, stopped off to pick up some record albums. The gentleman had a dusty lava lamp he called a door stop. He through it in with the music. The next day was having lunch with a friend from work. Told him about my lava lamp door stop. He said it takes 25 to 30 minutes to heat it up and things will start to happen. He said they always bring back fond memories for him because when he lived in Chicago he dated the manufactures daughter.
 
With care a Mathmos lamp can last 50 years,could a cheaper plastic LED half price knockoff do the same?
Thats what your paying for.
I never said that a knock-off would be as durable as the original one, I only said that the price for Mathmos is not justified by any means, even if it is CNC machined. Besides, in 50 years from now I'll be long under ground ... hopefully in a more peaceful & stress-less environment, somewhere so I won't be needing my lava lamp.

Correct, the base and cap are metal.
Thought so, thanks! The only other color scheme that I would prefer over this one is clear water & dark blue wax.

However, from what I've seen in various YouTube videos, dark-colored wax is not suitable for illumination effect, as in something that would refract light & cast interesting results onto the wall & around the lamp. Meaning that it would either have to be the pink or green, but with blue-tinted water to match my blue-themed turntable :)
 
I never said that a knock-off would be as durable as the original one, I only said that the price for Mathmos is not justified by any means, even if it is CNC machined.

They seen a fair price to me and I'm not in the least bit minted,maybe its because I'm in the UK so additional taxes don't apply.
Personally if I want something I would rather save up than pick a cheaper copy,buy cheap/buy twice.
 
Well, so much for my plans. I wasn't going to post another lava lamp-related post until I /actually/ buy one (hopefully some time next month, I'm actually thinking of ordering two lamps in different colors), when Techmoan once again surprised us with lava lamp "special" episode:

At this point you'd expect Mathmos to send the guy a gift ... or to give him the free lamp(s) for all the promotion he gave to them, but nope! I actually wrote Mathmos an email about a week ago, asking them if they do holiday sales, special discounts (Black Friday deals, Holiday sales, etc) and letting them know that I've only reached out because of Techmoan's video. The guy who emailed me back actually thanked me for the feedback, telling me that the company was not aware of his video, which is why I was expecting /some/ reaction from them. If not anything else, then (at least) to give him a guided tour or complimentary shirt, spare bottle or whatnot.
 
I just found this thread!

I don't know if my question can be answered>

I have several 27 inch Lava Lamps, of the standard shape, that have lost their colors. I have been trying to find a source for new "bottles" but have had no luck.

Anybody know of any good sources?

Or, a way for an idiot all thumbs guy like me to 'refresh' their insides?
 
I just found this thread!

I don't know if my question can be answered>

I have several 27 inch Lava Lamps, of the standard shape, that have lost their colors. I have been trying to find a source for new "bottles" but have had no luck.

Anybody know of any good sources?

Or, a way for an idiot all thumbs guy like me to 'refresh' their insides?
The answer to your question depends on several things. Where are you from, which lamp do you have and/or is it a genuine (original) lamp from the 60s, made by Mathmos or is it a generic one, made in China? Because if it's a genuine thing, then you can actually buy a replacement bottle (just the bottle alone - no lamp included) for around 60€ if I'm not mistaking.

Otherwise you can either crack it open with the bottle opener (not advisable, unless you absolutely know what you're doing) and do a home-brew of distilled water & wax, replacing the old content OR you can do a more reasonable thing and simply buy a new lamp. Most of the reasonably priced lava lamps usually sell for around 20-30€, I know for the fact that the lava lamp that I've picked goes for €24,95 (you can actually get it even cheaper, for 21.74€ using a coupon). Therefor, even if you buy two of them it won't even cost you €50 in total.
 
Placed an order earlier today for the total of 3 lava lamps ... in Red, Green & Blue. Planning to do a full "review" in this thread once they get delivered, otherwise it's just a generic rocket-shaped lamp, each with spare R39, 25W reflector bulb inside just like Mathmos.
lava-lamp.jpg

Initially, I was aiming for Astro Lamp lookalike shape, more traditional design which goes back to 60s and 70s but oddly enough I just couldn't find a single one for sale, as they ALL appear to be sold out. Not sure what is going on, other than supply & demand shortage, or maybe it's just a weird coincidence & people are buying lava lamps like crazy?? At some point I even considered to buy a genuine Mathmos, but like I said in one of my earlier posts, the price tag for the genuine Astro lamp is just ridiculous. Even their spare parts are ridiculously overpriced, but that's a whole other debate for another thread.

In the meantime, I do have a question - what is your experience on bulbs and their longevity? Because they don't seem to be as reliable as I expected ... some folks even said they had bulbs "explode" within the first couple of hours. Not for this particular model, just the lava lamps in general.

Apparently that is why Mathmos recommends not to exceed 5 or 6 hours of continuous usage, but rather switch the lamp off, let it cool down & only then turn it back on again. Then again, from what I've noticed ALL the Lava lamp brands seem to feature an extra bulb straight out of the box, suggesting that it's pretty much expected to fail earlier than it should?
 
Last edited:
Right, so here they are ... finally!

Like I said the other day, there are 3 of them, one of each.
IMG_20260302_114116.jpgIMG_20260302_114135.jpg
Apparently there are video instructions on setting everything up, but let's be reasonable ... how hard it can be? You drink the content, stick your finger inside the bulb socket and let your kids play with the plastic bags. Not necessarily in that order. (Just kidding, don't take it literally!)

IMG_20260302_114201.jpg
Bleh, another one of these otherwise-useless EU certificates. Of course it's "G", you can't have a energy-efficient lava lamp... On a side note, I would like to point out that big, OUTLINED warning on the box. Apparently some people can't seem to read, so they buy one of these for their kids (usually toddlers) to play with. One person in particular left a very nasty comment/review, stating that the product is "incredibly dangerous" since it gets "boiling hot" & therefore almost caused burns to her kids. Seriously?!?

Anyhow, enough rambling on my behalf. This is what you get, inside the box:
IMG_20260302_114525.jpg

Power switch is more or less what you'd expect. I've seen better (to be perfectly honest, I even used better ones, for my own lamps), but likewise I've seen worse. Much worse actually, so this one is not that bad I guess and it has a very strong, firm "CLICK". Inside each of the 3 lamps there are spare bulb(s), I only wish they included appropriate cardboard box rather than a bubble wrap.
IMG_20260302_114553.jpg

Bottoms up!
IMG_20260302_114711.jpg

In addition to the spare bulb, above there is a pre-installed R39 (E14) bulb already mounted inside the base, so all you have to do is put everything together. I will say however that finding a replacement 25W reflector bulb will be a real challenge, as most of them are either 30W or 40W ... not 25W. Considering I got 3 original spares at the moment (4, if I consider the 3rd, unused lamp) I should be good to go for a while but sooner or later these things /will/ burn out and have to be replaced.
IMG_20260302_114945.jpg

Everything you ever wanted to know about EU certificates regarding the lava lamps (& their safety regulations), but you were too afraid to ask. Now available in several different languages even:
IMG_20260302_115810.jpg

And of course, the bottles (or wax cartridges, as I like to call them) themselves. Before anyone points out that the content is foggy or murky - it's not. The whole thing was very cold when I first opened the boxes, which caused a lot of condensation from the air. So I had to give it some time for all the components to get up to the ambient (room) temperature before I actually plugged it into the mains & switched on. I also didn't want to cause any thermal stress to the bottles, as they COULD break apart from the sudden (and extreme) changes in temperature

Blue:
IMG_20260302_120744.jpg

and Red:
IMG_20260302_120833.jpg
 
I noticed Hula Girl in the old photo. Yesterday I was actually looking for another same one. No luck.
It has adhesive on the bottom so you can stick it on the car's dashboard. So it can hula!
Grabbed a CD last year and I realized the same Hula Girl, but different color on the cover.

3697280

Just catching up on this thread. I hate to say it, but I find the Marantz 2015 sexier than the hula girl.

I may have an audio problem.
 
Just catching up on this thread. I hate to say it, but I find the Marantz 2015 sexier than the hula girl.

I may have an audio problem.
That 2015 is the 5 button version and not the 4 button Marantz, so it is a bit more sexier.
But I like my Hula Girl.

I used to have an audio problem. I kicked it, but have other problems. :)
 
Right, so here they are ... finally!

Like I said the other day, there are 3 of them, one of each.
View attachment 3711592View attachment 3711593
Apparently there are video instructions on setting everything up, but let's be reasonable ... how hard it can be? You drink the content, stick your finger inside the bulb socket and let your kids play with the plastic bags. Not necessarily in that order. (Just kidding, don't take it literally!)

View attachment 3711594
Bleh, another one of these otherwise-useless EU certificates. Of course it's "G", you can't have a energy-efficient lava lamp... On a side note, I would like to point out that big, OUTLINED warning on the box. Apparently some people can't seem to read, so they buy one of these for their kids (usually toddlers) to play with. One person in particular left a very nasty comment/review, stating that the product is "incredibly dangerous" since it gets "boiling hot" & therefore almost caused burns to her kids. Seriously?!?

Anyhow, enough rambling on my behalf. This is what you get, inside the box:
View attachment 3711595

Power switch is more or less what you'd expect. I've seen better (to be perfectly honest, I even used better ones, for my own lamps), but likewise I've seen worse. Much worse actually, so this one is not that bad I guess and it has a very strong, firm "CLICK". Inside each of the 3 lamps there are spare bulb(s), I only wish they included appropriate cardboard box rather than a bubble wrap.
View attachment 3711596

Bottoms up!
View attachment 3711597

In addition to the spare bulb, above there is a pre-installed R39 (E14) bulb already mounted inside the base, so all you have to do is put everything together. I will say however that finding a replacement 25W reflector bulb will be a real challenge, as most of them are either 30W or 40W ... not 25W. Considering I got 3 original spares at the moment (4, if I consider the 3rd, unused lamp) I should be good to go for a while but sooner or later these things /will/ burn out and have to be replaced.
View attachment 3711599

Everything you ever wanted to know about EU certificates regarding the lava lamps (& their safety regulations), but you were too afraid to ask. Now available in several different languages even:
View attachment 3711600

And of course, the bottles (or wax cartridges, as I like to call them) themselves. Before anyone points out that the content is foggy or murky - it's not. The whole thing was very cold when I first opened the boxes, which caused a lot of condensation from the air. So I had to give it some time for all the components to get up to the ambient (room) temperature before I actually plugged it into the mains & switched on. I also didn't want to cause any thermal stress to the bottles, as they COULD break apart from the sudden (and extreme) changes in temperature

Blue:
View attachment 3711601

and Red:
View attachment 3711609
Apparently there are video instructions on setting everything up, but let's be reasonable ... how hard it can be? You drink the content, stick your finger inside the bulb socket and let your kids play with the plastic bags. Not necessarily in that order. (Just kidding, don't take it literally!)


Almost made me spit out my morning cup of coffee.! How long did they take to heat up and get the lava flowing?
 
Apparently there are video instructions on setting everything up, but let's be reasonable ... how hard it can be? You drink the content, stick your finger inside the bulb socket and let your kids play with the plastic bags. Not necessarily in that order. (Just kidding, don't take it literally!)


Almost made me spit out my morning cup of coffee.! How long did they take to heat up and get the lava flowing?
Thanks! :)

Surprisingly not very long... After maybe an hour, hour and a half I was seeing first signs of "life" and after 2 hrs I was already seeing blobs of wax. Though I should point out that the green bottle was probably the fastest one, followed by the blue one (around the same time, give it or take it) and then the red one, which took a very long time (approx. 3 hrs) & ended up overheating (forming air bubbles)
IMG_20260303_183238.jpg IMG_20260303_183257.jpg

Ironically, the red one is most beautiful to watch since it has that gold-ish orange glow, just like the real lava. Red lamp also gives out the most light, compared to blue one, which is very dim & would make a beautiful night light.
IMG_20260302_182547.jpg
 
Last edited:
Lava lamp's log, supplemental.

So, I've been living with my lava lamp(s) for a while now, and thus came to certain conclusions so far:

1. The reason why most brands include a spare bulb straight out of the box is NOT because they have a short life span, but rather because they are impossible to come across ... especially in Europe, where incandescent bulbs had been outlawed, unless they serve a special (usually industrial) purpose.

2. Lava lamps are friggin' awesome! Kinda makes me wonder why I didn't buy one (or two?) decades ago...? Still, better late than never, as traditional lava lamps seem to be phased out & substituted by LED counterparts. Yeah... don't ask!

3. The three of my "InnovaGoods" lamps are almost perfect, I only wish they were ever so slightly larger & came with included (built-in) dimmer, rather than a toggle switch. Then again, if they were any taller & wider, I probably couldn't place them on top of my desk and coffee table.

4. Despite looking the same (and using the same base, with the same R39 25W bulb) not all the lamps behave the same way. For example, blue one doesn't seem to overheat, whatsoever. Even after running 8 hours straight, I could probably keep it lit up all night long without any problems. Both red and green also put up a visual "show" during the start up procedure, always featuring unique shapes and forms:
IMG_20260302_153507.jpg

Red one on the other hand seems to overheat after 3-4 hours, usually resulting with minor bubbling but nothing serious. Unfortunately, there was several situations where the lamp developed air pockets which "exploded" due to bumps & collisions inside the bottle, resulting with blown up wax particles all over the place as if someone shook the bottle pretty hard. Still, there's no permanent damage & wax always clumps up back together after the cooling period.

5. The more I run these things, the faster they seem to warm up to their operating temperature. It only takes 30-45 minutes for the blobs of wax to start moving up & down and merely 20 minutes (or less) for the wax to be affected by the bulb (picture above). Wax consistency also seems to be a lot more compliant now, meaning that it looks more natural, dynamic.

6. The best possible way to utilize these is through the power of automation & WiFi smart plugs. I got the blue one hooked up to a smart plug & set to activate at exactly 16:30 every day, up to 00:30 before it gets switched off. Red one remained fully manual though, at least for now. Then again, I've been using the red lamp as an actual lamp (light source), rather than just a mood lighting.

7. I'm planning to mess around with the light bulb eventually, to try out several different shapes and perhaps even lower wattage. Oven (or refrigerator) bulbs in particular are the most suitable choices as most of them are 15-25W and long-lasting, which should make a good combination for the lava lamp.

I'm also considering the possibility to use G45 bulb in place of R39 (same wattage, 25W) as some lava lamps seem to use G45 straight out of the box, anyway and seems to be the most common bulb available making it (somewhat) easier to come across.

The logic behind this is heat dissipation, as both oven (T8) & G45 bulbs will dissipate heat all around them, wasting some of the energy in the process. Where reflector bulbs will focus all the energy to a single location, upwards & into the bottle. Which as I already explained seems to be ever so slightly too much for the red lamp.
 
Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom