• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Lava Lamps

a few of mine

lXKXuUv.jpg
 
Never had one and never want one.

The 80's/90's version of the lava lamp, the plasma globe is kind of cool though. Especially the huge 15" ones made by Aurora.

http://auroraplasmadesign.com/collections/plasma-globes

pink-with-model_1024x1024.jpg
Someone else I know called a 15" huge. I have a 4' one and have never been able to find another one. I haven't looked online, actually I did but can't remember If I found one. I need a 52 watt bulb for it. I will have a picture for you within about 2 weeks.
 
Resurrecting an old thread--but hey, why not? Just discovered it yesterday--really fun stuff, looking at everyone else's setup. And what could possibly be cooler and more entertaining than great audio gear coupled with lava lamps? We should start a YouTube channel you know...

Anyway, here's mine: Pioneer SX-750, Boston Acoustics A150s (I have a set of Pioneer CS-63DXs just offscreen right that need some work before I rotate 'em in), Mac Mini as music/movie server, Pioneer PD-M603 CD changer. And purple with yellow wax lamp, from Home Depot (an actual lavalamp.com product).

That SX-750 is gonna look even better when I peel off the vinyl and put on the Japanese tamo wood veneer I've got for it, the patterns of which will in some ways echo the shapes of the wax bubbles.

setup.jpg
 
Funny, I was just thinking of lava lamps the other day, wanted to buy one (but wasn't sure which one or where to look for better ones) when Techmoan on YouTube came up with his latest video dedicated to them. Talk about coincidence...

I even checked out Mathmos official website for Original Lava lamp model, hoping to place an order for matt black one when I realized the price tag ... 120 euros for a bottle of wax on a light bulb?! Think I'll give it a try with more generic one, usually they sell for as low as 20-30€ each.
 
I have one that's called a tornado lamp. It's shaped just like a lava lamp but has glitter in it. When it's turned on, there is a rod in the bottom that spins and stirs up the glitter, spinning it up into a tornado shape.

Doug
 
My brother-in-law is a guide and fisherman in Oregon.
One Christmas he gave us some frozen salmon and steelhead, wrapped in newspaper.
My wife at the time, put the frozen fish away in the freezer.
Couple weeks later, I grabbed some fish to cook and found a wrapped up lava lamp in the freezer. Still works. :rflmao:

sansui_rack lava lamp.jpg
 
Last edited:
Might seem silly...OK, it is silly. But it is indirectly related and often vintage:

Though I do not own one, I am fascinated by how many AK threads I have seen with photos that show a lava lamp in the audio set up.

OK, then, show off your lave lamps!!!:yes:

Might seem silly...OK, it is silly. But it is indirectly related and often vintage:

Though I do not own one, I am fascinated by how many AK threads I have seen with photos that show a lava lamp in the audio set up.

OK, then, show off your lave lamps!!!:yes:
 

Attachments

  • IMG_7104.jpeg
    IMG_7104.jpeg
    195.5 KB · Views: 21
I've posted this before in a different thread about lights, but since this is a Lava specific thread I'll post it here too :D

I added an incandescent light dimmer in the base, which is why the silver knob is there. By controlling the heat, it can be made to create an alien lookin blob that hangs mostly motionless, expanding & contracting ever so slightly as though it's alive.

IMG_1443.jpg
 
Back
Top Bottom