• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Leben. Thinking something drastic here.

Thanks for the info. I really think that his winter I'm going to buy another pair of replica Eames molded Eiffel tower chairs, just to rob them of their bases, and then fabricating a simple platform for the speakers.

You can buy the Eiffel Tower bases separately.
 
You can buy the Eiffel Tower bases separately.

I can get whole replica chairs here as floor-models for about $25. From what I can tell, they're identical to the current plastic Herman Miller chairs, with identical base structures. I've looked at Modernica for the bases, but when I'm there I just want to buy the whole chairs! I consider Modernica's 'copy' to be more original than Herman Miller's current line, as Modernica bought the original molds and their chairs are still fiberglass. The current herman miller variations in plastic are cheap looking (which is why I bought the cheap identical copies, until I get around to finding originals or modernica's current production).

This thread meanders in so many odd tangents!

So imagine these chair bases, as speaker stands....

IMG_2160.jpg
 
Did you prefer the sound on those wire-base stands or the rigid heavy stands? I know exactly which wire-base ones you are talking about, as I was thinking of getting them for my Harbeths, or making a pair using Eames Eiffel-tower chair bases, which are similar in construction. The general consensus seems to be that these speakers like light/rigid stands. I'm using extremely heavy/dense Target 4-pillar stands and they're both too-tall, and I think, too heavy. But they were here. Alan Shaw says it doesn't matter (he uses plant stands), but users speak highly of the differences a lighter stand brings out.

The sound on the wire-base stands was a bit more open/airier, maybe a wee bit more detail to my ear. But there was noticeably less low mid stuff (maybe 150-400Hz) when we switched to the lighter stands. I missed the warmth and completeness that I got with them on the heavy stands. But a couple of caveats here:

1) As for the greater detail, I may differ from a lot of AK'ers in that I am not seeking ultimate detail, at least not to the point where I have to compromise something else. Studio monitors (good ones anyway) tend to be way more analytical than what I think of as "recreational" listening systems. I've lived with the hyper-analytical for years, and am consciously seeking a listening experience where the sounds are detailed, but still glued together as a cohesive whole.

2) St Louis Stereo is a cool operation, but the listening space itself is unfortunate: big and bright, quite asymmetrical with weird angles. So the lower mids that receded when the lighter stands were swapped in may not have been so apparent in a smaller, more treated space.

Hope this helps...
 
It does help, thank you. But it's a bit of a dilemma because my space is also a bit bright. By a bit I mean a lot...1/2 the walls are glass and I can only do so much to tame them without obscuring the view. I may try the home-made wire stands, though, as the investment would be small.
 
you could try live plants as room treatments. An acquaintance of audio here in Atlanta uses plants and speaks highly of the result. While I don't have Harbeths, my RBS 1's came with Skylan stands. I had them unfilled at first. I have since filled them with sand and noticed a solidification of the midrange and a tightening of the bass.
 
you could try live plants as room treatments. An acquaintance of audio here in Atlanta uses plants and speaks highly of the result. While I don't have Harbeths, my RBS 1's came with Skylan stands. I had them unfilled at first. I have since filled them with sand and noticed a solidification of the midrange and a tightening of the bass.

Since my last post, I moved the Cabasse speakers off of their stands (actually the factory stands for my Sony SS-m7) and placed the Harbeths on them, because I didn't feel like dragging the 50+lb Target stands across the room. These stands are close to a foot lower...big difference in sound. The Compact 7s now have as much bass as the Cabasses and sound more balanced than before. I've never encountered a speaker so dependent on getting EVERYTHING dialed in. But now the tweeter is about 4" too low. I need something in between these two heights.

The Harbeths are smoother up top than the Cabasse speakers, and more natural sounding. The dynamic contrasts that the Cabasse speakers are capable of, however, are better. Nice to keep them both in this room for when the mood strikes for something different.
 
I would Highly advise you to speak with Noel at Skylan. He may be able to modify his stands to meet you specifications.
 
Since my last post, I moved the Cabasse speakers off of their stands (actually the factory stands for my Sony SS-m7) and placed the Harbeths on them, because I didn't feel like dragging the 50+lb Target stands across the room. These stands are close to a foot lower...big difference in sound. The Compact 7s now have as much bass as the Cabasses and sound more balanced than before. I've never encountered a speaker so dependent on getting EVERYTHING dialed in. But now the tweeter is about 4" too low. I need something in between these two heights.

Noel at Skylan will build the stands custom to your requirements.

Oh and you haven't seen dependent on getting everything right until you try DeVore's.
 
Noel at Skylan will build the stands custom to your requirements.
Thank you all. I'll look into it. I need to make some height measurements...I did this when I bought the speakers, but forgot what I arrived at (of course). I accidentally appear to have found the one place in this room where speakers have bass. Before, everything in here was lacking.
 
The C7 isn't easier to drive than the SHL5 but neither are difficult to drive. There is a difference between being inefficient and difficult to drive. All Harbeth speakers present an easy load to the amplifier. You simply have to bring enough power for their somewhat inefficient design.

The P3's are just a tad bass shy in my living room but in my dedicated room (9x10) they have plenty of bass. The gentle roll off from 75hz to 35hz gives the impression of good low frequency extension and weight.

Art, great point about easier to drive being a different thing than efficiency. I do understand the difference, but was using the term "difficult" interchangeably/carelessly. Thanks for the clarification.
 
Since my last post, I moved the Cabasse speakers off of their stands (actually the factory stands for my Sony SS-m7) and placed the Harbeths on them, because I didn't feel like dragging the 50+lb Target stands across the room. These stands are close to a foot lower...big difference in sound. The Compact 7s now have as much bass as the Cabasses and sound more balanced than before. I've never encountered a speaker so dependent on getting EVERYTHING dialed in. But now the tweeter is about 4" too low. I need something in between these two heights.

The Harbeths are smoother up top than the Cabasse speakers, and more natural sounding. The dynamic contrasts that the Cabasse speakers are capable of, however, are better. Nice to keep them both in this room for when the mood strikes for something different.

This is the fun stuff, eh? Seems you're learning something new almost every day at the rate you're going. I love those times...

And my take on lighter stands is that as cheap as it'd be to try with a homemade version, I can't imagine you not going ahead and giving it a shot. Pretty low risk adventure, considering how much you've already invested in your gear. And at least then you'll really know, so you can turn your gaze to something else. :scratch2:
 
This is the fun stuff, eh? Seems you're learning something new almost every day at the rate you're going. I love those times...

And my take on lighter stands is that as cheap as it'd be to try with a homemade version, I can't imagine you not going ahead and giving it a shot. Pretty low risk adventure, considering how much you've already invested in your gear. And at least then you'll really know, so you can turn your gaze to something else. :scratch2:

The homemade Eames stands would be about the right height. I just need to get around to doing it. As much as it seems that I just sit around and move gear in and out of my stereo, I'm actually pretty rarely home. So when I am, I tend to ignore all projects, and sit here with my laptop, playing music.

And I tend to forget things I learned....like the Harbeths hating being on those high stands. I learned that the day I brought them home, but convinced myself they sounded ok with them in this other room here.

The interesting thing is...the Harbeths were on stands like my higher Target stands at the store I bought them. They actually sounded rather lackluster there, but I had heard enough good about them to take them home for audition (after waiting about 3 months for my pair to come in, with the understanding that I didn't have to keep them if they didn't work). I can't imagine anybody buying anything in that store based on an audition..they have the worst room in any audio store I've ever been to. Including Magnolia.

I like how this thread has become the 'lets talk about all the gear that Harbeth users use!' Harbeth, Leben, Shindo...". We should talk about Naim! I was never a fan of Naim until I heard it on a pair of C7s at Venice Audio (that place had a really cozy setup, all mid century).

Oh, and yes...this is the fun stuff.
 
When I purchased my Harbeth SHL5s, my dealer pretty much sold the Skylan stands at cost. They are designed for the Harbeths and work very well.

I went with the Harbeths for the same reason that Noel likes them. I spend all day in front of JBL monitors critically listening, analyzing and adjusting. The Harbeths and McIntosh tube amp take me to a place where I can just relax and enjoy the music.
 
Last edited:
When I purchased my Harbeth SHL5s, my dealer pretty much sold the Skylan stands at cost. They are designed for the Harbeths and work very well.

I went with the Harbeths for the same reason that Noel likes them. I spend all day in front of JBL monitors critically listening, analyzing and adjusting. The Harbeths and McIntosh tube amp take me to a place where I can just relax and enjoy the music.

That could be the theme of what I started this thread for. "I just want to relax and listen to music".
 
That could be the theme of what I started this thread for. "I just want to relax and listen to music".

Amen. I'm tired of thinking. Still have a lot to think about audio-wise -- especially after my St Louis Stereo visit -- but not having to think about it any longer is definitely the point on the horizon I'm steering for.
:yes:
 
At this point, I also go with factory recommended stands. That whole too much mass overdamping thing or too little mass not being firm enough makes me realize that this is one area where I don't want to tweak and geek. Someone's already done it.
 
That could be the theme of what I started this thread for. "I just want to relax and listen to music".

Amen. I'm tired of thinking. Still have a lot to think about audio-wise -- especially after my St Louis Stereo visit -- but not having to think about it any longer is definitely the point on the horizon I'm steering for.
:yes:

After denial comes acceptance:yes:.

I remember talking to a dear man that I enjoyed greatly. He was the owner of the Musique Gourmet a classical music store in Eugene, Oregon and an avid audiophile. He was 67 years old when I asked him if he was ever satisfied with his setup and done with upgrades..he looked at me like I had 3 heads and said "goodness no, that's the point isn't it. I always enjoy my music but there is always room for improvement".

I told my wife, she was not pleased.
 
Back
Top Bottom