Leestereo
Super Member
Please correct me if I'm wrong but that seems only partly right to me. Read-on, but essentially a connected speaker is much more efficient path to ground than the 150 Ohm resistor. I.e. the resistor may (*) enable defeating the thump when using the speaker-OFF start-up method but won't help much (~10%) for Speaker A or B start-up position.....
Admittedly, when I first noticed the 150ohm resistors in a Sansui capacitor-coupled amplifier schematic, I did question if such an arrangement could effectively mitigate the "turn-on" thump, since as you point out, speakers are typically rated at 4-8ohms. But as they say: "the proof is in the pudding" and the capacitor-coupled Sansui amplifiers that have been on my bench (555A and 777A) have not exhibited any obvious "turn-on" thump (except for the example noted below). In comparison, the capacitor-coupled Marantz 1060 amplifier does produce an obvious (audible and visual) "turn-on" thump; Marantz designs do not have resistors that connect the output capacitors to ground. The effectiveness of the 150ohm resistors may be due to the fact that they are in fact in parallel with a complex RLC circuit when a speaker is connected.
*However, be aware that such thumps are sometimes due to other start-up transients upstream, and non-transient DC offset can even cause this too. I.e. if switching speakers to OFF during start-up solves your thump problem (even when later switching to speaker) in a model without the resistor, it may not be output cap charge-up related and addition of the resistor may not solve the issue.
An example that illustrates this point is a 555A that exhibited a loud "turn-on" thump; the cause was a broken trace in the regulated supply to the power amplifier front-end (see Repair and Upgrade of a Previously Recapped Sansui AU-555A for additional details.