Dear Leestereo and all others,
Introducing myself: Rudolph from the Netherlands.
Whilst getting excited reading your post about your 555A restoration and upgrade, I decided to do one myself, following your clear and detailled instructions.
I already found out I made at least 3 capital mistakes:
1. As being FULLY new in ALL of this (from electronics to soldering to reading diagrams) , I should have started with a less complex and smaller project. Especially not with an AU-555A!
2. It took me nights and nights of research what to order....there is so much to choose from and it is all abracadabra to me.
3. I should have done the restoration part by part (as mentioned in the end of your explanation).
And of course, it did not went well..... Managed to order parts, to solder them to the circuit boards and to put all back together again, but......... only a very weak "noise" coming out of the speakers (only to be heard when putting your ear close to the speaker, regardless the volume.), and nothing else.
Since I would never forgive myself if I have ruined a 555A, I am begging you for your help if possible, to discover what I did do wrong. I made a part list of what I bought and replaced, and I made a lot of pictures.
Anybody interested helping me? Do you want me to post the pictures and part-lists?
As a reward for helping I promise to send you the best Dutch Gouda Cheese you have ever tasted.
Thank you very much in advance.....
Rudolph