• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Let me tell you about my recent Craigslist experience.

nickrobotron

una bella tazza di caffe
I got a phone call at about 9:30 tonight from a guy "interested" in my speakers. He asked me to describe the condition. I explain the condition of them to the best of my ability and the modifications that I've made to them (new foam and new capacitors). He asked what I powered them with. I tell him that I use a restored Marantz receiver. That's when I hear a 15 minute lecture about how Marantz receivers are all hype and they all sound terrible except for their earliest American tube amps. He basically tells me I'm stupid for investing in a restore. THEN he tells me that I destroyed the speakers by putting new capacitors in them and they actually needed to be reconed by a professional... WHAT THE HELL? The ad said that they were refoamed and had new Daytons in them. He proceeded to tell me about his Heresy speakers and Kenwood Eleven amplifier and how wonderful they sound. I couldn't hang up on the guy because he was actually blowing my mind. Haha. I finally told him that the speakers deserve a better home and let him go. The audiophile hobby must be a lonely one if you have to call up strangers to brag about your system.

I am done with Craigslist now. This is such a fun hobby, but it's so hard to pass along an item whenever you're done with it. I'm not asking much money. Less than half of what they sell for on eBay and only slightly more than what I have in them money wise. They've been on CL for weeks. I've received probably 20 phone calls and no one is actually interested in them. It's so frustrating. I don't care if no one wants to buy them. That's fine. I just don't understand why people bother calling. I actually had a guy lead me on for 3 or 4 days to finally tell me he didn't have any money. Ha.

End of rant.

Flaming me for yet ANOTHER CL rant is welcomed.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Register to hide this ad
Not gonna flame you. Just chalking up another lesson learned.

Well, at least your ad wasn't posted in their Casual Encounters section (shivers nervously). Imagine the lectures you might get there!!!!

Better yet, don't.
 
Flaming me for yet ANOTHER CL rant is welcomed.

Nah, no flames. There's some seriously whacky folks out there and sometimes we have the distinct displeasure of encountering them....

Well, at least your ad wasn't posted in their Casual Encounters section (shivers nervously). Imagine the lectures you might get there!!!!
Better yet, don't.

Lol. Yeah for sure.... DON'T.....
 
You meet all kinds in the world of Craigslist. It's amazing how people come out of the woodwork when I list something in the "free" section. We posted a listing for free irises to anyone who wanted to come dig them up. So many responses I had to take it down within a half-hour.
 
I had one experience with the C list, bought the pair of JVC headphones I am listening to right now for 45 bucks and 20 shipping...they are super they are the 5944's, this is my second pair, my first pair were ready to put in a box and give a burial, I just wore them out. I had repaired the plastic around the metal studs that hold them to the overhead piece, I think I must have done that at least six times now, the plastic was so thin there, but on this pair the plastic is really thick, must have got a bad pair on my first buy, but they sure sounded great so I kept repairing them.
 
My wife and I have sold two cars and a bunch of furniture on Craigslist over the past three years or so. It seems like in the past year, the likelihood of getting calls and/or emails from weirdos has gone way up. Years ago, one was more likely to encounter civil, pleasant individuals on Craigslist. Not so much lately though.

My sister had a similar experience this past summer trying to sell her late model, very well-maintained and documented Honda. Lots of tire-kickers, lowballers, people offering to buy the car if my sister would agree to reduce the price by the cost of scheduled maintenance that wasn't due for another year, etc. And she was asking a good bit below the KBB Private Party value.

I'm wondering if the change in the Craigslist demographic has to do with its growing popularity, or maybe the economy is making people a little nuts.
 
I had good and bad experiences,
Good is things got sold fast and at fair price.
Bad is that I had to drive for 45 minutes and then being told he sold it already, really? we just talked on my way in...
Other bad is when people don't answer the emails, why you posted it then?
Well its good to have craigslist, at least there is the possibility to get nice things at a fair price...
 
When I moved, I gave away some really nice stuff for free on Craigslist and most of the people who called didn't show up when they were supposed to... for something free. I even let them pick the time and held the items for a day or two. Never again. I can imagine what a hassle selling would be if it takes a week just to give something away... lol.
 
I keep the phone time and the rare show ups VERY short and try and avoid bullshitting. Most "interested" parties are never end up buying anyways. Once they say "let me think about it", that deal is not happening.
 
My rule # 1 is I don't let anyone from CL come to my house. I've sold a lot of stuff on CL but I never expect to get much because I never see anyone with any real cash on that sight.
 
Most people won't buy a receiver or speakers unless they hear them working. I am not taking stuff to their house to audition. If they are a dirtbag or look sketchy, then they aren't getting inside. :)
 
Buying and selling bargains means dealing with bargain-hunters. If you can't stand the heat, stay out of the kitchen.

"I can't stand Craigslist! Everytime I try to buy or sell something there, people try to rip me off!"

"So why do you keep going to Craigslist?"

"They've got great prices and it's free to list things I sell!"

"Uh-huh."
 
After seeing how much ebay charges for everything (list fees, shipping fees, final sale fees) for my last sale, I will never complain about CL again. For the most part, it has been a good experience for me, although the last buyer of my speakers was somewhat of a douche.
 
Chalk it up as cheap entertainment! I have to laugh at people like that, too. I think cl is a good resource for both the buyer & seller but, you do have to know that there are all kinds out there. I recently inquired on some speakers on cl and the guy gave me a 30 min lecture on why vinyl is dead. Really?! I was very entertained and laughed until he hung up.
 
So one bad nut fell off the tree.. I would have just cut him off and said thanks anyway and hung up.. then waited for the next guy to call that wants the speakers.

No need to give up... .Hell.. I meet people like that daily in the office and on the street. It doesn't keep me from leaving my house.

I've bought and sold a hell of a lotta stuff through CL.. yeah, I've met a nut or two, but I never let anyone rip me off.. buyer beware no matter where you buy, and if I'm selling.. my stuff, my price my deal.. take it or leave it..


So tell my how CL would be any different than putting a wanted ad in the newspaper? The media just changed, but the same screwy people reading them.
 
People are lonely

Tire-kickers, low-ballers are just another method of conversation. You can mark your price 30% up your willing to sell price, than low the price for them. I do think some hagglers are just want to show their people skills.
 
Most people should keep their people skills to their selves.. I swear the move Idiocracy is becoming more a documentery than a faction..
 
You do not have to provide excellent Customer Care on CL. I had one idiot find some posts of mine and use my own words against me to negotiate down. "Call me if you don't get any bites [and sell to me at half price]" was his game. Yeah right, I sold at my asking a few days later.
 
Back
Top Bottom