• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Let me tell you about my recent Craigslist experience.

I always list high and leave bargaining room. They'll almost always try to go lower, so this insures I get what I really wanted out of it. People are excited to GTFO when they think they talked me down anyway. I'm not looking to make new best friends on CL. AKers I like to talk with for a while, they're usually somewhat sane.
 
One guy who actually ended up to be on AK (mostly a lurker), was going to buy a receiver from me. I told him what I wanted and we agreed. then before I hung up he said "OK! I'll see you Saturday and It will be $XX! *click*" which was like $50 less than what we had even discussed. I was like wtf? Called him back and said "I think you might be confused....we agreed on $xxx and that's as low as I will go". Then he gets upset and says I wasted his time.

I've never had someone throw a price out while saying goodbye on the phone and expect it to be an agreement before. I hate that crap. Like I'm going to play your games.
 
Sold a 9090db on CL for $400 in less than a day. Especially helpful when I was leaving for the beach.

There's good times and bad.

KC is in bad times right now along with lots of other places. Expect the crazys.

Try and sell a car. Then you'll really hate it. I used to flip cars all the time. Now it's crazy. Needs transmission/engine for $1000. ???? what? and with that fault it's a parts car, it should not be listed in cars and trucks but in auto parts.

I try to price so that most people will just half jump on it. Those that try to talk me down had better be face to face and find a good reason. None do. It's always offering half in an email. I delete them.
 
There are a lot of assholes in this hobby. You just have to find the good people hiding behind them.
 
99% of People are stupid I would say 50% are Regular stupid 1% are smart the other 49% are not smart enough to even realize there stupid :D



REGARDS JIM
 
Last edited:
One guy who actually ended up to be on AK (mostly a lurker), was going to buy a receiver from me. I told him what I wanted and we agreed. then before I hung up he said "OK! I'll see you Saturday and It will be $XX! *click*" which was like $50 less than what we had even discussed. I was like wtf? Called him back and said "I think you might be confused....we agreed on $xxx and that's as low as I will go". Then he gets upset and says I wasted his time.

I've never had someone throw a price out while saying goodbye on the phone and expect it to be an agreement before. I hate that crap. Like I'm going to play your games.

This may seem kinda jerk-like, but if I was in your shoes I wouldn't have called back. I would have let him drive to your house, waste some of his time, and tell him what the price is(the original price). Take it or leave it. People talk big on the phone or through email, but it is a different story when they've already decided to invest the time in coming to look at something.

The people who need to lecture through CL confuse me. A product is for sale, there is a price on it, buy it or don't.
 
Last edited:
One guy who actually ended up to be on AK (mostly a lurker), was going to buy a receiver from me. I told him what I wanted and we agreed. then before I hung up he said "OK! I'll see you Saturday and It will be $XX! *click*" which was like $50 less than what we had even discussed. I was like wtf? Called him back and said "I think you might be confused....we agreed on $xxx and that's as low as I will go". Then he gets upset and says I wasted his time.

I've never had someone throw a price out while saying goodbye on the phone and expect it to be an agreement before. I hate that crap. Like I'm going to play your games.

And hence the reason he lurks on here instead of participating.

This is why I tell SO MANY around here.. if you see something on CL, DO NOT post it here if you are trying to get it yourself.. LOTS of lurkers looking for what we call a good deal and try to beat us out on it.
 
99% of People are stupid I would say 50% are Regular stupid 1% are smart the other 49% are not smart enough to even realize there stupid :D
It's not "there" it's "they're".
I guess we're all part of that demographic :scratch2::D.
 
Just so we don't continue the misunderstandings...

You don't buy things "from" eBay, you buy the item from a seller. Who might be a nice, honest, trustworthy person. Or not.

The caller mentioned in the first post isn't "in", or "on" Craigslist, nor is he in any way, shape or form associated with Craigslist. He's out running around loose.

Now, the seller, he actually is "on" Craigslist.

Let's try to keep that straight, eh?
 
All I can say is as soon as he said he was listening to Hersey's I'd have known he had no clue about a good speaker and moved on quickly. Well....I probably would have given him a good 20-30 minutes on the lacking of the Hersey and all that it takes to make them into a descent speaker.
 
CL anit bad

After picking up a pair of Klipsch Hereys on the street near my home for FREE I searched craigslist and found a Pioneer SX-950 for 125 bucks. Seller met me at his jobsite and when I got the receiver back to my office it worked perfectly. So how much should i invest in a turntable so I can spin records at work. Most of my records are old 70s rock and used jazz i'm now enjoying.
 
For getting rid of free stuff, I strongly suggest exploring your local freecycle list (freecycle.org) it is a great place to get rid of things that are not ready for the landfill yet.

I have given and received some great stuff on my local freecycle list.

Sent using a mobile device.
 
I think everyone has to understand that CL is just a large crap shoot lol. I don't mind dealing with people on there, however in my neck of the woods its a bit different. First off people that meet me normally do so outside of my area, otherwise it's outside of my house so they can't "case" or look around to much. Second I'm always armed and that sometimes helps to keep issues low, a friend was almost robbed and lucky was armed to protect himself and his gear. I feel that today people are letting the economy and the antique road shows warp the mind, good deals can still be had. Just be cautious of the people, and as mentioned above there is nothing saying you have to listen to anything period. However if you want to sell stuff Nick just call me, :D I'm always looking for gear lol.
 
So far I am lucky, I have had nothing but great dealings on CL, but I am sure the law of averages means sooner or later I'll have a bad one, just part of the game.
 
My latest Craigslist sell was two, YES TWO Dual Turntables (a 1216 and 1225 I believe) in decent shape for $20. Had so many calls, and the unicycles started coming down the road.

I had them back in my office for more than a year, collecting dust. A guy shows up and offers me $5 for ONE. After ONE HOUR. I let him alone on my porch to check them out FOR ONE HOUR. Anyway, I did give it to him for $5. Bought my son an ice cream.

Next time they are going back to the Thrift Store. It's not that I don't appreciate the comic relief, the clown cars pulling up in front of my house, it's just that I don't have the time anymore to do this....true story. I'm done with selling on Craigs...my wife won't tolerate me wasting my time anymore.
 
For getting rid of free stuff, I strongly suggest exploring your local freecycle list (freecycle.org) it is a great place to get rid of things that are not ready for the landfill yet.

My wife and I have also made a lot of use of freecycle for giving stuff away. It's a very good resource. We've made some people very happy with stuff we didn't need anymore. However at least in our area, I have yet to be able to respond to a freecycle offer of free audio gear or vinyl LPs fast enough to actually get anything.
 
I've had mostly good luck on CL, not getting any bites at all lately though...I think beemer was definitely right all this time though....
 
I had almost all positive experience in CL except one recent one where I drove 1/2 hour to a house to look at some furniture and no one's is in the house and no one picks the cell phone and no reply to follow up emails.
Other than that, I have had only good experience. I've sold items as cheap as $15 to $1300 DSLR cameras in CL and so far so good.
I even had few CL buyers come in house, drink coffee and discuss about camera's features and tricks.
I do not think CL is bad just because someone is trying to low ball or email and then no follow up. That's part of looking for good deal. Those who are genuinely interested, they'll follow up and call.
 
Back
Top Bottom