• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Let's See those Infinity FrankenSpeakers ...... Infinity DIY Projects

InfinityGold

New Member
:rockon:Let's See those Infinity FrankenSpeakers ...... Infinity DIY Projects that have infinity drivers and/or infinity cabinets that are modified or the use of other manufactures drivers. Custom Cabinets with Infinity drivers. Here are a few example of my Infinity FrankenSpeakers.
1. Infinity RS4b cabinets, RS1b woofers, RS 6000 Polydome K Midranges, and Infinity emit tweeters.
2. Infinity RS6b Cabinets, Vifa Poly bullet Woofers, RS 6000 Polydome K Midranges, and Infinity Emit tweeters.
3. Custom Kappa 9 center channel.
2 Infinity kappa 6 cabinets mated, RS1b woofers, infinity RSDS Polygraph K mid bass infinity RSDS Polydome K midrange. Front & Rear Infinity emit K tweeters and infinity RS 4000 Super Tweeter. Kappa 9 crossover.

Please Please post with pictures and description. Welcome all comments and questions.
Let see those Infinity FRANKENSPEAKERS !!!!!
Thank you
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
 
Last edited:
Register to hide this ad
Are any of those yours? That Frankencenter looks similar to one that was up on eBay for a while (but used some different drivers, IIRC).
 
I don't have anything to show at the moment, but I've been working on an RS 2.5 resto-mod for about a year and a half for a forum member. As soon as we're done, we'll have a full build thread on the project.
G~

...and resto-mods will be completed on my RS-IIIa and RS-IIs after that.
 
Do these count?

Infinity dome mids in an EPI cab with 12" AR woofers and PE truncated "Silkies" for tweeters.

Cabs are sealed and lined with "Dynamat" and poly-filled.

I've not measured them, but they sound pretty decent for an amateur build.

View attachment 967288
Rs ll with car subs...added banana posts and disconnected woofers from infinity xover do i can bi-amp..external dbx active xover to feed woofers run in series
 

Attachments

  • 20201123_214700.jpg
    20201123_214700.jpg
    66.2 KB · Views: 97
  • 20201123_215132.jpg
    20201123_215132.jpg
    32.9 KB · Views: 94
Do these count?

Infinity dome mids in an EPI cab with 12" AR woofers and PE truncated "Silkies" for tweeters.

Cabs are sealed and lined with "Dynamat" and poly-filled.

I've not measured them, but they sound pretty decent for an amateur build.

View attachment 967288
Rs ll with car subs...added banana posts and disconnected woofers from infinity xover do i can bi-amp..external dbx active xover to feed woofers run in series
 
Also...kappa 6 with rs 2 inch polydome mids...had vifas,but they were too much for the 6 at 92 db..maybe blends better with 8 or 9s... I did recently add 8 ohm resistors in parallel to bring the impedance down to 4 Ω... and that helped quite a bit ...but I had already ordered the 2 inch poly domes And was anxious to put them in..so I didn't do extensive listening with the resistor on the vifas...I may swap them back later
 

Attachments

  • 20201113_145502.jpg
    20201113_145502.jpg
    80.7 KB · Views: 71
  • 20201120_144402.jpg
    20201120_144402.jpg
    47.7 KB · Views: 64
  • 20201120_144706.jpg
    20201120_144706.jpg
    110.1 KB · Views: 61
  • 20201120_144721.jpg
    20201120_144721.jpg
    136.6 KB · Views: 61
Just finished up a set if SM102, got them with burnt Polycell tweeters (all 4 lead in wires were completely gone) don't understand how I can find so many speakers with burnt tweeters? It makes me wonder what im doing wrong, I have yet to burn up any drivers in home or car, yet others seem to go through them constantly. Maybe 250wpc is not enough?
Oh yeah, both woofers needed surrounds, had some laying around that fit but are rubber this time.

During the surround repair I noticed that I had an unusually hard time getting the coil centered, no mater what I did it would be right on the edge of rubbing if pushed on 1 side or the other. Took off the cap and pulled the coil up till I could see it and looked at wires. Then looked inside the former and could see a wrinkle on one side!?! Looks like they must have been putting it through a torture test and bottomed it so hard that the bottom edge didn't have time to flatten but the former buckled in the middle. I was able to smoothen it out using a magic marker case, thank God they used aluminum and not plastic film. The wires remained glued in place since the bad spot was not creased it was a simple fix. But that wasn't the only issue, when I tried to glue the cap back on, the cone would become deformed ever so slightly when I pushed it tightly. I took it off before it became permanent since I use 3M spray glue 90 or 120. I found the that frame was tweaked a tiny bit causing the cone to deform and since I glued it as it was I had to break the surround from the frame! Got it off after a bit of a struggle and it's a good thing it was rubber, foam would have been a complete do over!

Got the frame rounded out better, there's a spot where the surround is closer on one side than the other but it had to be there to keep the cone form. I was now wondering what the 2nd woofer would be like!

Problem is removing the cap on these is nearly impossible to reuse the cap if you want it to look original. They used some type of felt or fuzzy type coating to make the background to offer contrast for the infinity symbol which is showing the smooth black surface through like the fuzzy area was cut away to form the symbol. It's still round and flat and looks fine but it no longer will match the other unless I make sure to scrape it off.

Number 2 went without a hitch left the cap on it but found out the crossover was bad, that's when I grabbed another set of tweeters, EMIT I had laying around and dug out the old crossovers. Wow what an oversimplified "crossover" 1 cap and a pot? I couldn't see using that bad idea at all and I have tons of crossovers, even some nice brand new 2 and 3 ways that have a few points to choose! The cap was 9.5mfd I had selections of 12, 10 and 8 which offered 4k, 2500 and 2000, the woofer has matching outputs and selected 2500 since the original was around 2350 figured I could go up that little bit without noticing much and can always move it lower if needed and add a resistor if needed after testing. Only got the 1 finished so far, had to notch the tweeter opening a bit and now it's too late to do the 2nd cab.

Connected it opposite my favorite left side speaker that uses an old JansZen electrostat mid/tweet array with an 8" jensen midbass and a JBL 8" subwoofer. I was surprised when I heard it playing with a similar sound, but of course it's a very unfair comparison since it's never going to match that midrange of the electrostat with current eq settings.

Overall I'm enjoying the sound but it'll be much easier to tell once they both are working on their own and can do an A-B test with 2 separate eq's set for each pair.
 

Attachments

  • IMG_20201130_215955.jpg
    IMG_20201130_215955.jpg
    50.8 KB · Views: 70
Before the "internet" era, around 1990/1992, a local Infinity dealer "fixed" my Qb, (one of the Emits was buzzing time to time at certain freqs), replacing the tweeters with this Audax HD-100D25, and kept my Emits (never returned them, even "broken"). They didn't know this was a real Infinity speaker, they were selling all that "SM1xx" line, and they thought this was a DIY speaker, I remember very well that they said "Infinity could never build something rough like this, look at the finish of a Infinity speaker", showing me the new models. The black plate covering the hole was made by me, they returned the speaker with the open hole. I was young, like 20.

Years later (2009-2010 , internet-ebay) I've restored them to the original condition (you can search my thread here at AK), and used the Audax tweeters to build my "corrugated paper speakers", Audax HD-00D25 + Peerless 831916

Qb_front_502.jpg P1090370_1024.jpg
 
Last edited:
Came up with these last year after the new diaphragms became available for the Emits. Used to raid eBay for tweeters to buy just to rip the diaphragms out of and throw what was left in a box under my stereo system.
After 35 years and now them being available new I replaced all the diaphragms in my RS IIIa's. Putting the old diaphragms away in the parts box (they still worked for back ups). I start counting and come up with 9 complete tweeters and 1 even has a good diaphragms still in it (how did I miss that). The light bulbs start going off. I should build something or sell everything. Either way I should put the ones together I have and get diaphragms for the rest because they wont sell for anything in pieces.
As they are sitting out on a table for the next few days waiting on diaphragms to show up I start arranging them in groups, coming up with ideas and searching what parts I had in stock to make it happen. After searching for speaker boxes for days and having no luck for what I wanted I decided with my limited woodworking abilities to build my own.....Infinity Satellite Tweeters
I've had them for a year now and don't know how I lived without them.
Here is a video of the build. (1) A Knob Fixes Infinity Loud Speaker (ep 5) Infinity / Emit Satellite Tweeters - YouTube

1.jpg 2.jpg 3.jpg 4.jpg
 
Back
Top Bottom