• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Let's talk Altec speakers / please share your experience and impressions

Is that an actual Bass Port ?
It looks closed off?
Or is it just a dust or cloth cover to keep critters out?

Probably closed off and just another position to mount the crossover..., probably at the bottom for mirror imaging when soffit mounting I assume. All of the Super Big Reds that I have ever seen with the aux woofer, use a sealed cabinet.

The bass from the sealed cabinet and aux woofer is not like the ported cabinets that lack this woofer.
 
I have two favorite church systems. The first I did was a Prebyterian Church with Doctor Bonner. 825 Box with a 803B and a 203 B using custom crossovers and his hand made circuits to voice the sound system. The speakers were placed high up be hind a decorative screen behind the choir and Altar. When I redid the system years later the cluster consisting of 3 203 B's and an 816 enclosure was moved up and forward over the steps to the Dias. We had some 288C's from another job and 203's to supplement what the church had already.

The second system was the New Basilica in Mexico City in 1976. 8 203B's in two clusters for the patio with 2 311s. for the short throw . In doors had Frazier speakers as ceiling speakers for under the balcony. And had one of Lexicons first digital time delays that cost close to $10,000. Ouch. The main system was 4 803 B's for the main floor and 5 203B's for the balcony which was 80 Meters away. The equivalent acoustic distance was less than 8 ft, when the Basilica was fully occupied. In other words a person speaking into a AKG 451 at 2 ft sounded like they were 8 ft away at the front row of the balcony 80 meters away. That could be scary sensation . The Pipe organ by. Casavant was the largest in the Western Hemisphere and wasn't finished till the next year. There were for 815 woofer bins using 8 515 woofers. The boxes with out ports intentionally rolled off the bass below 100 Hz gradually as a voice only woofer. We added two 311 60's the next year as Dias monitor speakers pointing straight down on either side and behind the Atar. It was a wild sensation to walk across the cloud enclosures suspended from the ceiling to access the speakers inside 6 special clouds that contained the speakers. From the clouds you got a birds eye view of the painting hanging prominently behind the altar. , All the amps were Mcintosh, processors Urei. They wanted a simple mixer so we used to Urei audio broadcast consoles. There were two 800 series Crown R2R's a Pioneer cassette and a Technics Sl 1200 turntable. All the mics were AKG condensers based on the 451 series. For recordings there were 6 Neumann U-87 and 1 SM 69. All the mic stands were Atlas, the racks soundilier. There was a system for the new Baptistry using a 311 with. a 291 and a small shop made ported enclosure for a 515 using a Toa Amp and a White equalizer. I went back in 77 to install the monitor system and again in 80 with TRH jr from Mcintosh to repair 3 channels of the MC 2300's used. Tommy helped Davie Obrien perform Mac amplifier Clinics for close to 10 years as I remember. The last time I was in Mexico City was to install a system for the electoral college facility. Again Altec and Mcintosh with Altec automatic mixers. We also did a Technical College system in Mexico City. Each time I would go buy and see Monsignor Schullenberger and check the system in the New Basilica.Dsc00189.jpeg .
 
Last edited:
All the speakers mentioned in this thread are great. Many just have their appropriate application. Some in pro applications, some for in-home.

I have found the two key things with these larger Altecs is room size and amplification. Beyond that like others have posted above there are definitely upgrades to crossovers that can significantly help, as with almost any speakers of this age. or DSP etc
Another aspect to keep in mind is that many of the drivers from all of these are tired and really need a full refresh to perform as they should. Suspensions and magnetization are the most overlooked aspects of putting the drivers back into use.

The 604 is probably the best for home applications. Cabinet size will dictate just how much bottom end you can get, period. So scale per your room is the determining factor here. I am going to try the smaller 12" 601C duplex for my main smaller listening lounge here in the near future. Probably in a petite Onken we will build. Right now I am wrapping up a new design based on the A8 including the fantastic 32 bent horn that I think will be pretty special. Probably wont reach down low like some folks strive for, but it will be plenty for most listening.

The Santiagos I restored are really good. Great detail and light lifelike SQ that makes you feel like you are in a live performance. As with all the 811 and 511 horn speakers, you just gotta have a larger area. I do have Model 19's in line for a 2nd restore after they were run hard by the previous owner that bought them from one of very own after he restored them.

Here are the Santiagos.

Santiagos.jpg
 
I've got a pair of Altec 19 in a 15' x 24' room. I don't think I'd recommend them for 12x12. They need a bit of space and distance to really sound their best. I run them on a 35-watt amp and they have no problem overwhelming my room.
 
Yes to much directivity of a speaker system can bring you to close to the performance. Macs big line arrays with to much HF pre-emphasis can place traps sets and vocalists on your Lapp or the singers scream directly in your ears. Distance with a smooth HF roll off can be an ears best friends.
 
I note and interesting phenomon with my Super Big Reds when listening to drums.

Because I sit at a level below the horns, the drums are just as if the drummer is there with you. Cymbols (high frequencies) are more directional and eminate just above ear level, just as they would in a live setting with the drummer 8-10 feet infront of you.
But the kick drum and large floor toms eminates from the aux woofer below you and provide that slam closer to floor level just as a real "kit" does. VERY COOL! :rockon:
 
Last edited:
Just wanting to revive this GREAT thread and not let it die!

To the OP, what if anything have you decided and did you find your large Altecs?

To all other posters and anyone else that wants to chime in, what is your latest Altec find/discovery?

As for myself...I am still enjoying my main system with 604g in 10 cubic ft cabinets using the custom JMW xo.

But I own several of the speakers mentioned in this thread including:

JBL 4430
URIE 809
URIE 811 - Altec 604 variant w/original grills
Altec Model 15 IIs with 32 bent horn

JBL 4425 - Storing for a friend.


All fine speakers with there own personalities.
 
@300man I have not made the leap to Altecs yet, although this thread has aimed me squarely at the 604 in a larger cabinet. When the opportunity presents itself, and timing is right, I'll add a pair of 604's to my collection. Then I'll start the process of deciding which cabinet to build. My current dedicated space is too small for the Altec's I dream of, so time is on my side. Hopefully in the future, my space constraints will change, and I'll have room for a pair. Fortunately I have a nice collection of restored vintage tube gear to pair with them, so I'm all set there.
 
I owned 2 pairs of Altecs, Coronados and Carmels. I owned and installed Altec speakers for over 40 years. Each year they seemed to get better. I loved the 604's in Urei Monitor speakers and thought the Model 19 was the best consumer speaker Altec ever built. A7 were a good PA speaker but sucked as a hifi speaker.
 
I'll play. I got the Altec bug over a decade ago when I bought a pair of Altec Madrids/872Bs in the early 2000's. I have listened to both 19's and 604-8Gs in a 12' x 12' room, and as expected, (IMO) the coax drivers are more coherent in a smaller space. I have never heard any of the big JBL, the largest in my possession at least transitorily, were L150a's, which went down the road. But as far as Altec is concerned, bigger is better.

Here's my attempt to make M19's look small...

Untitled by analog addict, on Flickr

Untitled by analog addict, on Flickr

I also have a pair of 210 cabinets that I'd like to convert into A4's someday. We'll see if it will happen...
 
I have a pair of circa 1968 Altec 848 Flamenco's that I purchased from the original owner in the late 70's. Think of these as siblings to the aforementioned Valencia's. To this day, all original, no issues. For all but the first year of ownership, they've been powered by a host of different McIntosh separate(s) configurations. I've had my Stereo 70 pinch hit on occasion while during a service issue. It did not hold a candle to the Mac's in terms of SQ. No big surprise there.

As to the room they're in, for decades now they've been in a media/music room where all television/movies/internet, etc, is viewed, all with the benefit of this sound system.
All music resides in this room as well, vinyl, CD's, file based, tape, etc, along with some musical instruments, as well as furniture. It's a large room, maybe 30x15, but it's comfortably cozy in there. The Altec's seem to suit the environment, and sound great in all listening applications. I'm sure my ears are so accustomed to listening to these after all these years, I can't imagine replacing them. Truthfully, I've not found myself wanting for something different.

Interesting thread BTW, lots of great info here.
 
Last edited:
Just wanting to revive this GREAT thread and not let it die!

To the OP, what if anything have you decided and did you find your large Altecs?

To all other posters and anyone else that wants to chime in, what is your latest Altec find/discovery?

As for myself...I am still enjoying my main system with 604g in 10 cubic ft cabinets using the custom JMW xo.

But I own several of the speakers mentioned in this thread including:

JBL 4430
URIE 809
URIE 811 - Altec 604 variant w/original grills
Altec Model 15 IIs with 32 bent horn

JBL 4425 - Storing for a friend.


All fine speakers with there own personalities.
 
I found these altecs ?? Yesterday the are huge and i think the cabs are home made i will up load pics i will be using my fisher
GOTHAM IV to run them if anyone knows what they are i would appreciate it the box is 24" deep by 29 1/2" wide by 39 1/2" tall with a single 15" woofer and a altec horn and a n801-8a 8 0hm dividing network
They are 2" smaller in height than my a-7s
 

Attachments

  • 20210105_112055.jpg
    20210105_112055.jpg
    112.3 KB · Views: 73
  • 20210105_124200.jpg
    20210105_124200.jpg
    127.7 KB · Views: 78
  • Screenshot_20210105-161920_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20210105-161920_Gallery.jpg
    59.6 KB · Views: 71
  • 20201219_122958.jpg
    20201219_122958.jpg
    86 KB · Views: 73
Those early 411 woofers belong in a proper sealed alignment, not a large ported one. GPA has proper foams to replace the floppy early cloth rolled surround.

If your A7's have 803 or 416 woofer load, the 411's will be 10db less sensitive.
 
The a-7s with the horn on top is a 421-8h woofer
The other box unsure what it is eminence??
Not altec everything else is altec the opening in the center of the speaker has a blank that covers it with 6 screws for attachment what altec woofer would work in asealed or ported box or should they go back original if original im not sure what they are
 
Back
Top Bottom