• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Let's talk Altec speakers / please share your experience and impressions

The eminence woofer or what ever it may be has a cloth surround but the hole patteren does not match the hole patteren in the box and there is no markings i will be taking the back off today and get a better look at all the internals one of the dividers is loose and needs recapp or attended to
Then i can get a better look at the woofer
 

Attachments

  • 20201217_112414.jpg
    20201217_112414.jpg
    104.9 KB · Views: 56
  • 20201217_112120.jpg
    20201217_112120.jpg
    93.4 KB · Views: 59
Thanks what drivers are used with the 511
Well i pulled the back off the altecs and
411-8a lf dynamic force series woofs
And e&m horn drivers
 
Newest member of the Altec club here - I just picked up a pair of 605A’s in big cabinets (9cu ft). It's unfathomable to me that these speakers could be considered "dogs" or "dull". Maybe these folks just prefer something different, or heard a really bad example, or all the highs were attenuated out. I will say that my experience with super high end speakers is not vast, but I have pretty good ears, and I think that these sound AMAZING. I can hear how the high end could be a bit soft, but it's also very smooth while still being crisp and clear. It comes across as very natural and gives you that 'in the room' feeling with whoever you're listening to. The smooth highs and those famous technicolor mids give a lot of context to the tone and character profile of each instrument. The low end is nice too - icing on the cake. It's there where you want it and when you want it (to me, anyways ...). They were demo'd to me with a pair of Fairchild mono amps and Audio Research tube pre and they sounded even better than they do with my Sherwood S8000 (which still sounds very, very good). They exceeded all expectations. I have not heard a pair of 604’s, but I'd think 605's should at least be afforded the same consideration. If you ever have a chance to listen to a pair, RUN, don't walk…. Just my .02
 
Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom