• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Look What I Got Out of a White Van?

macaltec said:
With 11 sets of A7's I have no problem making you the President of the club, for life.

We're not worthy Mac!!!

We've got to go visit Dave sometime... of course I need a pair of A7's just to fit in! :scratch2:
 
Justen said:
We're not worthy Mac!!!

We've got to go visit Dave sometime... of course I need a pair of A7's just to fit in! :scratch2:
Feel free to visit once I get the A7 wall of sound completed, I hope my house doesn't shift like a teeter-totter with all those speakers on one wall!! Dave. :music:
 
dgwojo said:
Feel free to visit once I get the A7 wall of sound completed, I hope my house doesn't shift like a teeter-totter with all those speakers on one wall!! Dave. :music:

The sound from 1 pair is fantastic. I can't imagine a wall full :music: .
 
macaltec said:
The sound from 1 pair is fantastic. I can't imagine a wall full :music: .
I like to "feel" the sound without the use of subwoofers!! Punker X experienced it on the 4th of July when the Polar Express (DVD) made its first appearance in the movie, he said it's hard to believe you can feel so much even with a concrete floor!! We only had 6 A7's and a pair of EV Interface D's going at that time. :yes:
 
dgwojo said:
I like to "feel" the sound without the use of subwoofers!! Punker X experienced it on the 4th of July when the Polar Express (DVD) made its first appearance in the movie, he said it's hard to believe you can feel so much even with a concrete floor!! We only had 6 A7's and a pair of EV Interface D's going at that time. :yes:

:ntwrthy:
 
IMHO, Anyone who thinks A7's are lacking in the lower regions of the frequency spectrum must have not heard them setup properly. If bass is present in the recording these things will bring it out. No bloated hump at any certain point, just good natural sound. For those in doubt or question re-read the opening of this post.
 
macaltec said:
IMHO, Anyone who thinks A7's are lacking in the lower regions of the frequency spectrum must have not heard them setup properly. If bass is present in the recording these things will bring it out. No bloated hump at any certain point, just good natural sound. For those in doubt or question re-read the opening of this post.
Especially with 515 woofers!! :banana:
 
PHP:
No bloated hump at any certain point, just good natural sound.
Excellent point Mac. At first you are looking for the bass, but in reality it is there you are just hearing things the way the recording engineer intended. Go to a live show and listen to the bass player, that is natural and that is how these speakers reproduce LF's. The key with these Altec horn loaded speaker systems I'm finding out is finding that perfect balance/harmony with the LF' & HF's......
 
cableguy said:
The key with these Altec horn loaded speaker systems I'm finding out is finding that perfect balance/harmony with the LF' & HF's......
This is why I like the 515 woofers so much, their slightly higher efficiency seems to merge with the horn better, I also like the sound best with the woofer and horn on the top of the cabinet, they seem to merge much better. I'm very happy with my new 515-8LF's from GPA, I think they're a good bargain, Dave. :music:
 

Attachments

  • GPA_515-8LF_01.jpg
    GPA_515-8LF_01.jpg
    129.8 KB · Views: 16
After i get my cabs looking the way I want I'll be saving up for some of those GPA 515's. Bill H. suggested that route for new drivers based on my musical preferences. The 421's are doing a fine job though, much better than I anticipated from the onset.
 
You might find these interesting, before I sold and shipped my 421-8LF's to Coney Island, I snapped some pics next to the GPA 515-8G woofers, these are similar to the 515-8LF seen on my web page, the 8LF is better IMHO, Dave. :music:
 

Attachments

  • Altec_421-8LF_GPA_515-8G_02.jpg
    Altec_421-8LF_GPA_515-8G_02.jpg
    153.2 KB · Views: 24
  • Altec_421-8LF_GPA_515-8G_03.jpg
    Altec_421-8LF_GPA_515-8G_03.jpg
    149.2 KB · Views: 26
Mac, Here's the beginnings of my wall of sound, the other 4 A7's aren't pictured as they're not assembled yet, Dave.

attachment.php
 
Arrrrrgggghhhhhh! I can't see the pic. I feel as if I'm missing the coolest thing since they crammed the filling in twinkies.
 
I must respectfully disagree with the notion that Altec 825 cabinets aren't lacking in bass, I find them somewhat bass-shy. While the bass they make is certainly of excellent quality it doesn't range very low at all and there's also the stepped response of the horn-reflex combo cabinet to be dealt with: the fact that the bass from 125-150 on up is several db higher in level than the bass below.

IME the bass goes deeper with 803 and 416 woofers than with 418s and 515Bs. When I was running A5s they needed help badly below 100hz for a balanced sound, I used a pair of JBL pro 4648 reflex bassbins to augment them below 100hz.

IME the nicest benefit of the 515Bs was their superb reproduction of the range from 100-500hz and not their low bass.

Note that I've no experience with the GPA 515s.
 
fotno said:
Thanks Mac, really... Bless you! The next time Mrs.Fotno begins talking about my "huge" speakers, I'm showing her these pictures!

Good goin' buddy, I'm truly tickled that you finally got your horns - Congrats!
Ditto! Apparently I'm not as much of an asshole for springing my "brand new" HPM-100s on The Lovely Blanche anymore! :thmbsp:
 
Tom Brennan said:
I must respectfully disagree with the notion that Altec 825 cabinets aren't lacking in bass, I find them somewhat bass-shy. While the bass they make is certainly of excellent quality it doesn't range very low at all and there's also the stepped response of the horn-reflex combo cabinet to be dealt with: the fact that the bass from 125-150 on up is several db higher in level than the bass below.

IME the bass goes deeper with 803 and 416 woofers than with 418s and 515Bs. When I was running A5s they needed help badly below 100hz for a balanced sound, I used a pair of JBL pro 4648 reflex bassbins to augment them below 100hz.

IME the nicest benefit of the 515Bs was their superb reproduction of the range from 100-500hz and not their low bass.

Note that I've no experience with the GPA 515s.
Tom,
I'm too close to Altecs, been collecting them for 30 years so my opinions might be biased, PunkerX heard the GPA 515-8LF's at my house last month in the blue/gray 828 cabs, I think we need his opinion here!! Remember, GPA offers the 515-8G and 515-8LF, the G has a front vented voice coil, and the 8LF rear vented, I do own an alnico Altec 515-8LF but I don't have a pair, I need to compare them some day. I also have the Lansing 515-8G. I think eveyone needs to realize that the 825 and 828 are horn cabs, they mechanically cut-off below 50 or 60 hz, that's why I suggest 19's for home use, and I love the "Looudness" button on my old gear!! Dave. :yes:
 
What an amazing cabinet!
Beautiful speakers.
It'd be a lucky person who scores them.:yes:

Edit:Somehow I posted this on the wrong thread(????)
 
Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom