• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Looks like a great deal to me...

I don't see why bumping a price on Craigslist is necessarily such a bad thing...

There have to be many cases where the person listing has no earthly idea how collectible his particular item is. What we might consider a huge score is actually someone who listed an item for way less than the actual value. Now, how honest is THAT? Really?

Has nothing to do with honesty, but a lot to do with integrity of the seller.

It's the sellers business to research an item before he offers it for sale. Once he prices it, he needs to honor his price, even if he's underpriced. It's not the buyers place to inform a lazy seller about the true value of an item.
Like it or not, if you are offering something for sale, you're in business. And if you don't do your homework, that's your own fault, not the buyers.
 
There have to be many cases where the person listing has no earthly idea how collectible his particular item is. What we might consider a huge score is actually someone who listed an item for way less than the actual value. Now, how honest is THAT? Really?
Suppose instead of on craigslist for 40 bucks, the TT was at the curb as trash?

Am i being less than honest if i don't go knock on the door and offer the 200-300 it's actually "worth"?

The "value" is still the same, no?

Jocko, no argument or flame intended, just a point for discussion.

IMO, failing to honor an advertised price is no different than lying.

Items listed well below their expected value are exactly what many of us shop these venues for.

We're not stealing or taking advantage, we assume that when a person prices an item, that's the amount they'll be satisfied receiving for the item, in a nutshell what it's worth to them.

The one who offers more when the seller tells them the item has already been spoken for or sold has as much of an integrity problem as the seller who accepts "bids" above his advertised price.

Just my .02 y'all understand............................
 
Suppose instead of on craigslist for 40 bucks, the TT was at the curb as trash?

Am i being less than honest if i don't go knock on the door and offer the 200-300 it's actually "worth"?

The "value" is still the same, no?

Jocko, no argument or flame intended, just a point for discussion.

IMO, failing to honor an advertised price is no different than lying.

Items listed well below their expected value are exactly what many of us shop these venues for.

We're not stealing or taking advantage, we assume that when a person prices an item, that's the amount they'll be satisfied receiving for the item, in a nutshell what it's worth to them.

The one who offers more when the seller tells them the item has already been spoken for or sold has as much of an integrity problem as the seller who accepts "bids" above his advertised price.

Just my .02 y'all understand............................

I have the exact OPPOSITE problem. A bunch of people say that they want it, and I reply within a couple hours, and they never reply back.....or set a time and do not show up.....
 
I don't see why bumping a price on Craigslist is necessarily such a bad thing...

There have to be many cases where the person listing has no earthly idea how collectible his particular item is. What we might consider a huge score is actually someone who listed an item for way less than the actual value. Now, how honest is THAT? Really?

However... Once you commit to a price and a sale, there is no way to back out without being a SERIOUS scumbag.

I once chased a Sansui TU919 tuner for $20.00. I could not get someone over to pick it up in time, the seller soon realized how valuable an item he had. Imagine how many audio bottom-feeders jumped at that one! I never figured out what happened to it...


In one paragraph you ask how honest it is to get an item cheaply, when the owner doesn't realize the true value.

But in another paragraph you admit that you are 'guilty' of the same practice as the one you are condemning.

I'm confused.:D
 
IMO, failing to honor an advertised price is no different than lying.

Agreed!! Especially when the ad specifically states, "$40. First come gets it." I'm sure I wasn't anywhere near the first one to respond to the ad, so I'm not upset that I didn't get it. I'm upset because "first come" didn't get it for 40 bucks like the ad said. If the ad stated "$40 or best offer", I'd have no gripe with it.
 
I don't fault that TU919 guy for realizing his mistake... If I weren't 250 miles from it, I would have had it in my hands. I tried to send a proxy who lived in the same town but could not get in touch with her...

Craigslist is just a posting. What if it was a typo? You don't have an agreement until you make contact, in my opinion. That's an e-mail or, better, a phone call. I'll take the scores when I can get them. If someone realizes their mistake before I make contact, then I don't fault them.

I picked up a load of stuff about a year ago where a dozen people contacted the seller after I had talked and was already in the car. She realized there was a lot more demand that she had thought for the CR 820 Yamaha, Yamaha TT, and Pioneer 707 RTR... She was ethical, however, and I picked it up for the $100.00 we had agreed on the phone. To not do so would have been unethical.

Just how I see it...

BTW, "first come gets it" DOESN'T mean first to send off an e-mail. It means first person standing arm outstretched with two twenties standing at the front door with the trunk open.

That is the problem with Craigslist: It was supposed to be a local exchange. Now, many are surveying from afar trying to make a remote purchase. Cash and carry.
 
if i list something for sale on the net bet it craigslist or some other site i take the emails on a first come first serve basis and reply to them in order.i dont care if you live down the street from me or across the country if your the first one to reply to my ad you get the first shot at the gear.i just inform the other interested parties that someone else is interested and that if it doesnt sell i have a list and will go down it.sometimes it takes a bit longer this way but i have peace of mind knowing that i'm doing the right thing.
 
if i list something for sale on the net bet it craigslist or some other site i take the emails on a first come first serve basis and reply to them in order.i dont care if you live down the street from me or across the country if your the first one to reply to my ad you get the first shot at the gear.i just inform the other interested parties that someone else is interested and that if it doesnt sell i have a list and will go down it.sometimes it takes a bit longer this way but i have peace of mind knowing that i'm doing the right thing.

+1

The problem here is not just scumbag sellers, in fact it's possible this Technics table was all set to go to the first guy for $40 but subsequent slimebucket callers placed "bids" when they learned they were not first in line. of course the seller can laugh in their face and stick with their first deal, but it doesn't always work that way... :thumbsdn:
 
I find it ironic that a lot of us AKers moan and bitch when someone on CL finds out what something is really worth after posting an ad.That same AKer(myself probably included)would have bought the table for $40,and turned around and wanted top dollar for it on the AK classifieds or Ebay.Try finding an AK ad for something without the phrase "the only thing wrong with it is....."but still wanting damned good money for it.Dont know how that makes us much better than them,except for full disclosure,I guess.
Jimmy
 
The only thing you can do is flag the ads that violate the rules, and that only works if enough people do the same.
Even if conducting an auction on CL is breaching its "guidelines", it does not breach the "Terms of Use", and is therefore technically not a flaggable offense.
 
I have no problem with people listing things as "$$ dollars, OBO" Newspaper ads often have the OBO in there, and all that CL is is a modern day newspaper ad.
 
I have no problem with people listing things as "$$ dollars, OBO" Newspaper ads often have the OBO in there, and all that CL is is a modern day newspaper ad.

I don't think anyone in this thread has a problem with an asking price being stated, along with OBO. What some of us have a problem with is an ad stating a price (without OBO), and saying first come gets it, but then instead takes 'bids' on the item and sells to the highest bidder.
 
Back
Top Bottom