• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Low watts vs high watts and sound quality

There are for sure some tasty integrated tube amps out there.Again it comes down to power levels and hi-fidelity sound needed to satify .I'm particular to the el-84 /7581 output tube based integrated if an integrated amp is on your radar.
For me as when I was into SS amps I enjoyed the higher powered offerings as I like slam/solid bass that one would enjoy in a live show.It was a natural progression into tube amps with output in the 40-60 wpc range.ejoying the 6L6/GT based amps the most/6550's as well. to achieve those charactoristics.The thing with the tube seperates versus single chassis amps is the seperates don't share a power trany.Especially with channel separation there is no contest in my experience.My Fishers excel here..can be spokey good with good source material,To here individual musical instruments comeing at you independently with separation and intensity is to behold the sound of quality mono amps

hunter.
 
So if a solid state and a tube are both 40 watts, what is going to be the biggest difference? Cleaner and warmer for tubes?
 
cleaner,more accurate ,great tone as you would expect live and you will get all the content in the source recording wether its cd/LP /ipod what ever That so many of the SS offerings fail at.Ive recently started streaming audio thru one of my laptops{Streema Blues Athens Greece} and this station has incredible sound quality for the blues junkies out there.Solid channel separation and dynamics
Remember there are many roads that lead to Greece,i just mentioned a few short cuts..

Hunter
 
Your favorite is as valid as any ones... why one piece "sounds" better or why certain pieces have a cohesiveness that others don't.. is such an intangible topic...

Thinking about Watts Per Channel as a reliable metric to measure sound quality...
Is like thinking that engine displacement is a reliable metric to measure a cars speed.

There are far too many variables, and far too many other metrics to consider...

I recommend soaking up what ever crosses your path for the first couple of years,. Then when you have some road under your feet, hone your taste on introspection, information, experience and opinion . Then actively seek out your brand of nirvana. This hobby is fantastic!
 
So if a solid state and a tube are both 40 watts, what is going to be the biggest difference? Cleaner and warmer for tubes?

There might be no such difference, not all tube amps are "warm" nor are all SS amps, well, whatever one might think they're supposed to be. You just don't know until you actually hear an amp what it will sound like, regardless of it's type. I've heard some tube amps that sounded just as steely, earwirey and generally obnoxious as the worst early SS gear.
 
I agree with most of what biscuithead said,except of course my opinion differs on wpc in the tube amp world,quality of Iron matters.All one has to do is read the sig lines of members to see the diverse amount of options available to those seeking their best sound ,considering availability and budget.
With all the gear mentioned you can turn pig into a silk purse with full refurbishment/upgraded quality electrolytics/pio caps,rebuilt beefed power supplys and addition of quality tubes and speakers...Ill second his closeing statement..

hunter
 
I agree with most of what biscuithead said,except of course my opinion differs on wpc in the tube amp world,quality of Iron matters.All one has to do is read the sig lines of members to see the diverse amount of options available to those seeking their best sound ,considering availability and budget.
With all the gear mentioned you can turn pig into a silk purse with full refurbishment/upgraded quality electrolytics/pio caps,rebuilt beefed power supplys and addition of quality tubes and speakers...Ill second his closeing statement..

hunter
Agreed!
How you arrive at the WPC does matter.
 
I think the point is, understanding what you are listening to.....as in listening to music is a technical balancing act !
 
Greetings! I caught the vintage audio bug a while back and have gone through all kinds of wonderful gear. My favorite set up is a Pioneer sx-650 Audio control eq and HPM-100. I have used higher watt Sansui, Marantz and Yamaha but the sx-650 just sounds better in every way to my ears, at all volumes. I just do not understand why that 35 watt amp sounds more powerful than the Sansui 5000x or any other amp I have had. Thanks in advance for any thoughts
It's not a matter of power - you prefer the sound profile of the SX-650.
 
I guess I'm a little caught up in power because I didn't want to under power the hpm. image.jpg Here's a photo of the goodies as well. I will look into some tube products. Any thoughts on some starter amps?
 
You don't need to worry about underpowering your speakers, just overdriving your receiver. Don't pay any attention to the position of the volume, as tone settings and loudness effect it. I would suspect you would love a larger Pioneer, as has been recommended, but you might find something different that is just the cats meow.

I had no intension of moving to integrateds but had a Marantz 1250 fall into my lap, very cheap. My intension was to fix it and flip it, but its taken its place as #1 and right now, I'd have a hard time changing it out. I've had dozens of amps and receivers, tube and ss, both have good and bad about them. It's best to take your time and experience what comes your way.
 
I always thought my sansui 5000x I use to own was probably one of the most powerful receiver and nicest receiver ever owned. Always thought the sansui 5000x was no push over even though its conservatively rated at 60wpc. It stayed with me for years while I went through receivers,integrated and,separates. Didn't let it go till I got pair of low negative feedback HK 700 series set(770 dual-mono power amp, 725 preamp). Nowadays I don't own either but, still remember the sansui cause it was the one piece and first that started it all.

Never heard the x50 series of pioneer but, glad you're enjoying yours.
 
I've got a great sounding Fisher SA-100. No warmth or mid range bloom to gag me here. However both my LSR&D model 102 monos at 300wpch, model 101 stereo at 160wpch, and my Citation XX at 250wpch spank it at low levels. But imo, sq in terms of power rating is really comparable among siblings only. For example, my Son of Ampzilla at 80wpch is better than my Gas500 at 256wpch. Fewer outputs results in better low level resolution. Otoh, both my Citation XX and LSR&D monos are better than the Son. Then again, the model 101 LSR&D amp at 160wpch is better than the model 102s. But, the Citation XX not only spanks it's little brother Citation 16, but everything above. Keep in mind these amps are all top notch.
 
There are so many excellent SS amps and preamps. As i said earlier there is no one path. I'd wager there are at least half of us that run SS and think its equal or superior to tubes (or have and like both). Theoretically neither should be introducing anything but gain into the equation and they (the amps ) shouldn't sound like anything. While as others stated you should personally listen to as many things as possible. You should do so with no preconceived notions about what is ultimately better, and also be aware (as stated before) other equipment in the chain (pre, speakers, sources) all contribute to a greater whole. And some pieces just seem to mate better and worse with other pieces (synergy) to create a better or worse result. I know, that's about as clear as mud. My point if it exists, is you really have to try and listen for what you like. We can help but there is no right one thing that is best with, a clear second, third etc.....Just like we mostly have entirely different set ups (and love them). we all made a trip through other stuff. We often have heard what others think sounds bests and sometimes we agree and often we don't and ironically none of us are wrong because we end up being true to our own ears.
 
Last edited:
Thinking about Watts Per Channel as a reliable metric to measure sound quality...
Is like thinking that engine displacement is a reliable metric to measure a cars speed.

Watts per channel is basically horsepower. While not the singular expression of a amp's performance (or a car's in the case of of horsepower), power/horsepower certainly dictates some aspects of performance.
 
Watts per channel is basically horsepower. While not the singular expression of a amp's performance (or a car's in the case of of horsepower), power/horsepower certainly dictates some aspects of performance.

Whether you want 500 wpc and power hungry drivers or a flea-amp and extreme efficiency...or in the middle. It depends on what YOU want. I drive all my vehicles very slow and I leave early, because I think patience is a talent and speed is not. Going fast or going loud just isn't my style... I strive for finesse, decorum and preciseness!:cool:
Am I cool or what?
 
Back
Top Bottom