• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Luxman owners can you share pics of your luxman equipment?

I can't remember if I had posted pictures before but this one is worth repeating; the one and only Luxman CL-40 from ~1983, this is my favourite preamp of all time! The CL-40 showcases everything Luxman was capable of while still operating as an independent company. Luxman dates back to 1925 so the pedigree resulted in a wonderful expression of tube design and Japanese aesthetics. Most of the functions were available from other higher-end Japanese products of the 70's and 80's but Luxman pulled it all together with an exquisite lacquered wood case (wood latticed air vent - really!), champagne anodized aluminum face plate, engraved lettering, solid aluminum knobs and switches, stepped resistor tone controls and all using minimal plastic parts. Every switch and function is useful and well thought out, notwithstanding the obsolete tape loops. My pictures really do not do it justice. #luxmanlove :)

20180506_134209.jpg 20180506_134217.jpg
 
Last edited:
I can't remember if I had posted pictures before but this one is worth repeating; the one and only Luxman CL-40 from ~1983, this is my favourite preamp of all time! The CL-40 showcases everything Luxman was capable of while still operating as an independent company. Luxman dates back to 1925 so the pedigree resulted in a wonderful expression of tube design and Japanese aesthetics. Most of the functions were available from other higher-end Japanese products of the 70's and 80's but Luxman pulled it all together with an exquisite lacquered wood case (wood latticed air vent - really!), champagne anodized aluminum face plate, engraved lettering, solid aluminum knobs and switches, stepped resistor tone controls and all using minimal plastic parts. Every switch and function is useful and well thought out, notwithstanding the obsolete tape loops. My pictures really do not do it justice. #luxmanlove :)

View attachment 1181215 View attachment 1181216
That is just a gorgeous peice.
 
I can't remember if I had posted pictures before but this one is worth repeating; the one and only Luxman CL-40 from ~1983, this is my favourite preamp of all time! The CL-40 showcases everything Luxman was capable of while still operating as an independent company. Luxman dates back to 1925 so the pedigree resulted in a wonderful expression of tube design and Japanese aesthetics. Most of the functions were available from other higher-end Japanese products of the 70's and 80's but Luxman pulled it all together with an exquisite lacquered wood case (wood latticed air vent - really!), champagne anodized aluminum face plate, engraved lettering, solid aluminum knobs and switches, stepped resistor tone controls and all using minimal plastic parts. Every switch and function is useful and well thought out, notwithstanding the obsolete tape loops. My pictures really do not do it justice. #luxmanlove :)

View attachment 1181215 View attachment 1181216

Man.that.is.just.gorgeous. If I can fault Luxman with anything it's that their design can be head scratching sometimes, but they've done this one just like Mama Bear. Just right.
 
Luxman 8030 - a modular plug-in step-up transformer or SUT for use with MC phono cartridges. The 8030 plugs into the back of a few Luxman preamp models, or alternatively with the separate AD-8000 adapter. There were 3 different SUT models with different ratios for specific cartridges. These are extremely precise and well-made with 99.9% pure silver wire wrapped around a toroidal core.

20180507_134451.jpg 20180507_134508.jpg
 
Last edited:
I can't remember if I had posted pictures before but this one is worth repeating; the one and only Luxman CL-40 from ~1983, this is my favourite preamp of all time! The CL-40 showcases everything Luxman was capable of while still operating as an independent company. Luxman dates back to 1925 so the pedigree resulted in a wonderful expression of tube design and Japanese aesthetics. Most of the functions were available from other higher-end Japanese products of the 70's and 80's but Luxman pulled it all together with an exquisite lacquered wood case (wood latticed air vent - really!), champagne anodized aluminum face plate, engraved lettering, solid aluminum knobs and switches, stepped resistor tone controls and all using minimal plastic parts. Every switch and function is useful and well thought out, notwithstanding the obsolete tape loops. My pictures really do not do it justice. #luxmanlove :)



View attachment 1181215 View attachment 1181216
Wow. Absolutely beautiful and the aesthetics is extremely well executed. They did awesome on this. I'd love to have a U.S. version of this.
Congrats..
 
Wow. Absolutely beautiful and the aesthetics is extremely well executed. They did awesome on this. I'd love to have a U.S. version of this.
Congrats..

Thanks @rxonmymind, my CL-40 is a Japanse version (100 VAC) but there was distribution in Europe and North America however those versions are nearly impossible to find and I have never seen one. At that time Luxman was in its' last days before Alpine and had really messed up product distribution and marketing.
 
Great thread! Luxman stole my heart when I first started looking at vintage gear.

My L-85v and T-88v

I have also got an L-100 in a box awaiting the $ for some TLC

If you only have three chunks of Lux gear and need a tuner, can't do much better than an L-85 and L-100. Those just exude quality and are great units from one of Luxman's better lines of gear.
 
If you only have three chunks of Lux gear and need a tuner, can't do much better than an L-85 and L-100. Those just exude quality and are great units from one of Luxman's better lines of gear.

:) I really am super chuffed, it took quite a while to find it all. Everything works so well together and looks the business.

Edit: unnecessary info.
 
Last edited:
:) I really am super chuffed, it took quite a while to find it all. Everything works so well together and looks the business. I've been really lucky to avoid being sold lemons on fleabay. At around $2500 for the speakers, turntables, amp and tuner I struggle to see how I could have done better buying modern equipment.
What?

Dude the coolest thing about the L-85 is the heat sink. It makes a handle with individual compartments for your fingers for when you haul it into the sound room to hook it up for a customer!!! I love that about that amp. Not too heavy and a great handle! Chuffed is good. You are right to be stoked having those units.
 
5CB558B1-FDF8-45FA-ADC8-EB43706CC578.jpeg 219AA544-0EF0-4A6F-9E00-CD61AD0DF609.jpeg 64EAB5DA-2036-4B33-800B-45FEC0A05DEA.jpeg I had to keep this thread going...some nice Luxman pieces still coming up...love my CL34 tube preamp and M300 ....switchable class A/B...can run it as a 40 watt class A...or turn the dial and it is 150 watt A/B ....weighs in at 69lbs...I think most of it is heat sinks!..and I just picked up a great R1050....
 
Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom