• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Luxman owners can you share pics of your luxman equipment?

WL550 I sold around one year ago. Put new wood on it as the old one has been tortured by his use in a swedish radio station - as a kind of monitor. Put the veneer exactly according to the original leaflet on it. That's the reason why upper and lower part of the side panel wood do not match concerning the wood grain.








 
@aileenamegan

As always great!!!! pics,

Nothing to add here pic wise but my R-1040 which I gifted to a friend about 6 years ago has returned home. He moved onto to newer equipment. The lights are out and the right channel is acting up so it's going to the shop tomorrow for some TLC.
 
Guys, you are embarrassing me. I'm not a good photographer. I only have a certain room with colors I like and where the stuff looks nice to me. Thank you so much.
 
Last edited:
Just got the CL34 and M300 back from a recap....all except for the power caps in the M300....tech said they were still good....may change later. Had IEC’s installed, some resistors, speaker post and rca upgrades.

The cl34 has golden dragon and Mullard tubes....can anyone here suggest a good tube upgrade or should I stick with what I have? Thanks

Sound is very clean and very warm slightly bass heavy....which is great on my lean Focal 1028s
 

Attachments

  • ECC3BC07-EF86-4F35-BA9D-996EA1BDBFEF.jpeg
    ECC3BC07-EF86-4F35-BA9D-996EA1BDBFEF.jpeg
    87.5 KB · Views: 35
An L 480 I just picked up - no room currently hence the set up on the floor - behind it is the R113 and lower on the floor an L 215 is trying to show itself. I should add that the Vincent SV236 MK, above and slightly to the left although not edged out by any of the Luxmans is not used nearly as often as I find all three quite good and at times I prefer them - I have only listened to the L 480 for a few hours so far but it just might become my favorite.




DSCN4154.jpg DSCN4153.jpg
 
I can't remember if I had posted pictures before but this one is worth repeating; the one and only Luxman CL-40 from ~1983, this is my favourite preamp of all time! The CL-40 showcases everything Luxman was capable of while still operating as an independent company. Luxman dates back to 1925 so the pedigree resulted in a wonderful expression of tube design and Japanese aesthetics. Most of the functions were available from other higher-end Japanese products of the 70's and 80's but Luxman pulled it all together with an exquisite lacquered wood case (wood latticed air vent - really!), champagne anodized aluminum face plate, engraved lettering, solid aluminum knobs and switches, stepped resistor tone controls and all using minimal plastic parts. Every switch and function is useful and well thought out, notwithstanding the obsolete tape loops. My pictures really do not do it justice. #luxmanlove :)

View attachment 1181215 View attachment 1181216

That's a beautiful piece of gear!
 
Tube-a-lou: I had to spend more time listening to the L 480 and find it to be quite "musical" for lack of a better description. The low end is not as pronounced as the R113 or the L 215 but it has a more cohesive sound that draws you in as it were. I simply increase the bass level a bit but to be honest in some ways it is more accurate in the lower bass.


I certainly do not feel it is lacking much in light of the over all balance it produces. I guess because the mid range is pretty good it more than makes up for it in this regard. It does show how decent the R113 is as well, would be interesting to have an R117 to compare. Overall I feel it is a worthy model and will be holding on to it. Having heard nothing but praise for the L 580 that would be a great find but they are quite uncommon and go for a premium. I am sure I can live with the L 480!


By the way, can anyone explain in detail what the tone control switches specifically change or alter? I have yet to find any clarification on this.
 
By the way, can anyone explain in detail what the tone control switches specifically change or alter? I have yet to find any clarification on this.
The turnover frequency, the 2k/4k and 200/400 are the frequencies that Luxman used to allow different tone modification. The treble will do just the high treble in 4k and all treble with 2k, you will hear more boost with 2k but that boost is just starting earlier, not greater in quantity. Same for the bass control, just lowest bass at 200 and mid-bass and down with the 400 switch position.

Fire up a brand new thread if you have more questions. Get a C-5000a preamp if you want more turnover frequencies, it has 9 each for bass and treble.
 
Here is the Luxman L-3 T-4 from the studio standard series circa 1978-1982. As mentioned on another thread, I love the simplicity of the design. These units really look like quality pieces! And they sound amazing as well. Much better than the Alpine stuff I had been using...1.jpg 2.jpg
This was definitely a different look than Luxman had been used to doing. Lux was known for big cabinets with rosewood tones and copious knobs and switches... But the LRS, LSS, and SSS stuff made a departure from this was extremely basic in design. So basic that it defined a new striking look for Luxman...one that they ultimately became very famous for with the LRS.
 
Back
Top Bottom