• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Lyrics - What grabs you? Anything just catch your attention lately?

Oh, comrades, fill no glass for me
To drown my soul in liquid flame
For if I drank, the toast should be
To blighted fortune, health and fame

Yet, though I long to quell the strife
That passion holds against my life
Still, boon companions may ye be
But, comrades, fill no glass for me

Oh, I know a breast that once was light
Whose patient sufferings need my care
I know a hearth that once was bright
But drooping hopes have nestled there

Then while the teardrops nightly steal
From wounded hearts that I should heal
Though, boon companions ye may be
Oh, comrades, fill no glass for me

When I was young I felt the tide
Of aspirations undefiled
But manhood's years have wronged the pride
My parents centred in their child

Then, by a mother's sacred tear
By all that memory should revere
Though, boon companions may ye be
Oh, comrades, fill no glass for me

- Stephen Foster - not long before he died of alcoholism
 
Last edited:
So, so you think you can tell
Heaven from hell
Blue skies from pain
Can you tell a green field
From a cold steel rail?
A smile from a veil?
Do you think you can tell?

Did they get you to trade
Your heroes for ghosts?
Hot ashes for trees?
Hot air for a cool breeze?
Cold comfort for change?
Did you exchange
A walk on part in the war
For a lead role in a cage?

How I wish, how I wish you were here
We're just two lost souls
Swimming in a fish bowl
Year after year
Running over the same old ground
And how we found
The same old fears
Wish you were here
 
Just watch the evening news on any given night ...

David Bowie - Five years

Pushing through the market square, so many mothers sighing
News had just come over, we had five years left to cry in
News guy wept and told us, earth was really dying
Cried so much his face was wet, then I knew he was not lying

I heard telephones, opera house, favourite melodies
I saw boys, toys, electric irons and T.V.'s
My brain hurt like a warehouse, it had no room to spare
I had to cram so many things to store everything in there
And all the fat-skinny people, and all the tall-short people
And all the nobody people, and all the somebody people
I never thought I'd need so many people

A girl my age went off her head, hit some tiny children
If the black hadn't a-pulled her off, I think she would have killed them
A soldier with a broken arm, fixed his stare to the wheels of a Cadillac
A cop knelt and kissed the feet of a priest, and a queer threw up at the sight of that

I think I saw you in an ice-cream parlour, drinking milk shakes cold and long
Smiling and waving and looking so fine, don't think
You knew you were in this song

And it was cold and it rained so I felt like an actor
And I thought of Ma and I wanted to get back there
Your face, your race, the way that you talk
I kiss you, you're beautiful, I want you to walk

We've got five years, stuck on my eyes
We've got five years, what a surprise
We've got five years, my brain hurts a lot
We've got five years, that's all we've got
 
My Sh*t's F*#ked Up -- Warren Zevon

Well I went to the doctor

I said "I'm feeling kind of rough"
He said "I'll break it to you, son"
"Let me break it to you, son"
"Your sh*t's f*#ked up"
I said "my sh*t's f*#ked up?"
"Well, I don't see how"
He said "The sh*t that used to work-
It won't work now."
:rflmao: Prior to your post, the only song I'd heard by Zevon was the (hellishly overplayed) "Werewolves of London." I'm headed straight to YouTube to check out what you posted.
 
The Choir - "The Antithesis of Blue"

I woke up this mornin'
Fixed a cup of smoky brew
My baby done left me
A list of things to do
That's why I'm here
To make her dreams come true
That's why I'm here
True love is the antithesis of blue

Stepped out on the car port
Got a nail in my shoe
Started thinkin' 'bout the Gospel
How the story is kind and cruel
It was the day after Easter
Jesus was no longer dead
So I hit the highway
With a song in my head
The antithesis of blue

I walked into the kitchen
No denying what was true
I never got one thing done
I had sincerely intended to do
She said, "you always were a wanderer
Honey, that ain't nothin' new
Go out in the garden and
Cut me some parsley
And fire up the barbeque"
I said, "that's why I'm here
To make your dreams come true
That's why I'm here"
True love is the antithesis of blue
 
I like funny and clever lyrics.
Juli Brown:
"I know a guy
He drives a truck
He can't tell time but he sure can drive.

Harry Nilsson:
Well, times were good,
times were bad
good
bad
good
bad
good, bad,good, bad!

Brian Briggs:
"Frankie waited far to long,
you could see it in his face this was it.
Frankie knew he couldn't beat that train
and he didn't give a (Sound of trains horn)....
 
Last edited:
Music was his life, it was not his livelihood,
And it made him feel so happy and it made him feel so good.
And he sang from his heart and he sang from his soul.
He did not know how well he sang; It just made him whole.

Harry Chapin, "Mr. Tanner"
 
:rflmao: Prior to your post, the only song I'd heard by Zevon was the (hellishly overplayed) "Werewolves of London." I'm headed straight to YouTube to check out what you posted.
Almost everything zevon did was better than "Werewolves." But that was a really catchy and funny song. Especially "his hair was perfect."
 
Ring the bells that still can ring
Forget your perfect offering
There is a crack, a crack in everything
That's how the light gets in

Anthem - Leonard Cohen
 
Last edited:
You know, I feel so dirty when they start talkin' cute
I wanna tell her that I love her but the point is prob'ly moot.
 
P.D.Q. Bach's "Jane, my Jane" from The Art of the Ground Round has great lyrics. The first time through, the vocalists sing only the odd-numbered lines in the verse, leaving the instrumental accompaniment to fill the gaps. They sing all of the lines the second time through, and the listener discovers that the missing lines completely transform the meaning of the song. Enjoy!

Jane, my Jane
You are my queen.

For your hair is your crown
(...)
And your breath is like down
(...)
With your eyes black as nuns
(...)
And your face like the sun's
(...)
You are my queen for a day.

For your hair is your crown
(That you remove when you retire)
And your breath is like down
(-wind of a compost heap on fire)
With your eyes black as nuns
(Like nuns they cross themselves each day)
And your face like the sun's
(-set over Pittsburgh, U.S.A.)
You are my queen for a day.
 
Angels on the sideline,
Puzzled and amused.
Why did Father give these humans free will?
Now they're all confused.

Don't these talking monkeys know that
Eden has enough to go around?
Plenty in this holy garden, silly monkeys,
Where there's one you're bound to divide it.
Right in two.

Angels on the sideline,
Baffled and confused.
Father blessed them all with reason.
And this is what they choose.
And this is what they choose...

Monkey killing monkey killing monkey
Over pieces of the ground.
Silly monkeys give them thumbs,
They forge a blade,
And where there's one
They're bound to divide it,
Right in two.
Right in two.

Monkey killing monkey killing monkey.
Over pieces of the ground.
Silly monkeys give them thumbs.
They make a club.
And beat their brother, down.
How they survive so misguided is a mystery.

Repugnant is a creature who would squander the ability to lift an eye to heaven conscious of his fleeting time here.

Gotta divide it all right in two [4x]

Fight 'til they die over wind, over sky
They fight over life, over prayer, over air and light
Over love, over sun, over another
They fight though they die over words polarizing.

Angels on the sideline again.
Benched along with patience and reason.
Angels on the sideline again
Wondering when this tug of war will end.

Gotta divide it all right in two [3x]
Right in two!

Right in two.

"Right in Two" by Tool. Album: "10,000 Days"
 
A Little Isley Brothers

[Verse 1]
Time is truly wastin’, there’s no guarantee, yeah
Smile is in the makin’, we've got to fight the powers that be
Got so many voices, saying all the same, yeah
Killing up all around me, faces full of pain

[Refrain]
I tried to play my music, they say my music’s too loud
I tried talking about it, I got the big runaround
And when I rolled with the punches I got knocked on the ground
By all this bullshit going down, hey


[Verse 2]
Time is truly wastin’, there’s no guarantee, yeah
Smile is in the makin’, we got to fight the powers that be
I don’t understand it, people wanna say yeah
Those that got the answers, red tape in the way
I could tend to it easy, let’s just have some fun now, now
Seekin’ my satisfaction, keeps me on the run

[Refrain]

[Verse 3]
Time is truly wastin’, there’s no guarantee, yeah
Smile is in the makin’, we got to fight the powers that be
Fight it baby, yeah, woo, hey, even you and I can fight the power
Fight it, fight the power (repeat to end)
 
A Friday Funny, since it's getting warmer outside.

Peter the meter reader
Meri Wilson

Here we go again
I was lying on my back porch just a-getting some sun
Had my hair done up in pigtails had my swimming suit on
I was just about asleep when there came a shadow over me
I opened up my eyes to peek and what did I see-ee
There was a man what a man looking down on me
Tall dark and handsome, six foot three
There was a look in his eyes that was telling me
He knew that there was something that he wanted to see
He said "Hi my name is Peter
And I'm here to read your meter
I'd like to see your kilowatts
Could you take me to your box"
I didn't have the slightest notion where that box could be
But I said to Peter won't you follow me
We went upstairs downstairs inside and out
I just loved having Peter follow me about
He said "Hey what's with you fox
Can't you take me to your box
I came here to see your meter
They call me Peter the meter reader"
By the time he found my meter it was a quarter past four
And he said to watch my heater as he was walking through my door
Every single kilowatt was a-looking just fine
And he'd be coming back to see them in another month's ti-i-ime
So now I'm waiting yes I'm waiting so patiently
To have my sweet sweet Peter read my meter for me
Maybe I should tell you so you'll understand
That Peter used to be my telephone man
Singing hey-laddy-laddy hey-laddy-laddy hey-laddy-laddy
Get it any way you can
I've never done anything like this before... Well...
 
ALL of the lyrics to Brian Briggs "See you on the other side"

Frankie was a modder, the King of Merton Park,
in his triple sole, brown suede floaters,
he could run fast in the dark.
Big Moe stepped on his toe
so to get Moe off his back,
he played hooky,
to play chicken,
down on the railroad tracks.

Goodbye Frankie
So long.
Goodbye Frankie,
I'll see you on the other side.

Frankie and Moe rode their scooters to the corner of
Camley and Rue,
they waited at the end of the tunnel for the 309 to
come through.

Frankie smiled and spit on the ground
the 309 was on time,
He knew Moe would never have the guts
to be the last one over the line.

Goodbye Frankie
Goodbye Frankie,
I'll see you on the other side.

Goodbye Frankie
(so long)
Goodbye Frankie,
I'll see you on the other side.

Frankie waited far too long
you could see in his face this was it,
Frankie knew he'd never beat that train
and he didn't give a ****.

(scooter sounds)

Goodbye Frankie
so long mate.
Goodbye Frankie,
I'll see you on the other side.

Goodbye Frankie
Goodbye Frankie,
I'll see you on the other side.

Goodbye Frankie
(so long)
Goodbye Frankie,
I'll see you on the other side.

Goodbye Frankie
Goodbye Frankie,
I'll see you on the other side.

Goodbye Frankie
(so long)
Goodbye Frankie,
I'll see you on the other side.
 
Harry Chapin's "Cat's In The Cradle"

"...and as I hung up the phone, it occurred to me
He'd grown up just like me
My boy was just like me..."


I've wondered at times, just how many had gotten caught up in the world of work to the point wherein family came second and the chain was forged, only to repeat itself.

Sadly, we lost a great story teller and humanitarian in '81.

Q
 
Back
Top Bottom