• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Lyrics - What grabs you? Anything just catch your attention lately?

Some random swatches...

My grandma and your grandma were sittin' by the fire
My grandma told your grandma "I'm gonna set yo' flag on fire"
James Crawford/Dixie Cups - Iko Iko

I'm back on dry land once again,
Opportunity awaits me like a rat in a drain
Elton John/Bernie Taupin - Sweet Painted Ladies

I went on down to the Audubon Zoo
And they all axed fo' you
They all axed fo' you
Well, they even inquired about you
Rockin' Dopsie, Jr. & The Zydeco Twisters

Give me room,
BACK OFF!
Ras Isley - Spring Garden on Fire

Well, I'd rather have ham in my sandwich than cheese,
But complaining wouldn't do any good
Elton John/Bernie Taupin - Roy Rogers

It's the end of the world as we know it
(And I feel fine)
REM - ST

When you go down to Deep Elum,
Put your money in your shoes,
Cause the women in Deep Elum
Got them Deep Elum Blues
Grateful Dead
 
This one stuck, from Neil Youngs Hitchhiker:


"Powderfinger"

Look out, Mama,
there's a white boat
comin' up the river
With a big red beacon,
and a flag,
and a man on the rail
I think you'd better call John,
'Cause it don't
look like they're here
to deliver the mail
And it's less than a mile away
I hope they didn't come to stay
It's got numbers on the side
and a gun
And it's makin' big waves.

Daddy's gone,
my brother's out hunting
in the mountains
Big John's been drinking
since the river took Emmy-Lou
So the powers that be
left me here
to do the thinkin'
And I just turned twenty-two
I was wonderin' what to do
And the closer they got,
The more those feelings grew.

Daddy's rifle in my hand
felt reassurin'
He told me,
Red means run, son,
numbers add up to nothin'
But when the first shot
hit the docks I saw it comin'
Raised my rifle to my eye
Never stopped to wonder why.
Then I saw black,
And my face splashed in the sky.

Shelter me from the powder
and the finger
Cover me with the thought
that pulled the trigger
Think of me
as one you'd never figured
Would fade away so young
With so much left undone
Remember me to my love,
I know I'll miss her.
 
Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds - The Boatman's Call Album




Into My Arms

I don't believe in an interventionist God
But I know darling, that you do
But if I did I would kneel down and ask him
Not to intervene when it came to you

Oh, not to touch a hair on your head
Leave you as you are
If he felt he had to direct you
Then direct you into my arms

Into my arms, oh Lord
Into my arms, oh Lord
Into my arms, oh Lord
Into my arms

And I don't believe in the existence of angels
But looking at you I wonder if that's true
But if I did I would summon them together
And ask them to watch over you

Woe to each burn a candle for you
To make bright and clear your path
And to walk, like Christ, in grace and love
And guide you into my arms
Into my arms, oh Lord
Into my arms, oh Lord
Into my arms, oh Lord
Into my arms
But I believe in love
And I know that you do too
And I believe in some kind of path
That we can walk down, me and you
So keep your candles burning
Make her journey bright and pure
That she will keep returning
Always and evermore
 
a capella:

video with lyrics:

"All the worst of enemies
Are somehow always
Friends that used to be"
 
Last edited:
"Leave me or I'll be just like the others you will meet
They won't act as kindly if they see you on the street
And don't you scream or make a shout
It's nothing you can do about
It was there where you came out
It's a special lack of grace
I can see it in your face
I can see by what you carry that you come from Barrytown."

Steely Dan - Barrytown

This song so depressingly reminds me of the town I grew up in, moved far away from, and then moved back to.
 
Another one just hit me. Not that this one matters as much to me, now that I'm retired:

"Meet the new boss, same as the old boss"

The Who, Won't Get Fooled Again

BTW, Mrs JD is nothing like my old boss! Thank goodness!!!!!
;-})>
 
A friend in need's a friend indeed,
A friend with weed is better,
A friend with breasts and all the rest,
A friend who's dressed in leather.

Placebo Pure Morning
 
"The Weight" by The Band

I pulled into Nazareth, was feelin' about half past dead
I just need some place where I can lay my head
"Hey, mister, can you tell me where a man might find a bed?"
He just grinned and shook my hand, "no" was all he said

Take a load off, Annie
Take a load for free
Take a load off, Annie
And (and, and) you put the load right on me
(You put the load right on me)

I picked up my bag, I went lookin' for a place to hide
When I saw Carmen and the Devil walkin' side by side
I said, "Hey, Carmen, come on let's go downtown."
She said, "I gotta go but my friend can stick around."

Take a load off, Annie
Take a load for free
Take a load off, Annie
And (and, and) you put the load right on me
(You put the load right on me)

Go down, Miss Moses, there's nothin' you can say
It's just old Luke and Luke's waitin' on the Judgment Day
"Well, Luke, my friend, what about young Anna Lee?"
He said, "Do me a favor, son, won't you stay and keep Anna Lee company?"

Take a load off, Annie
Take a load for free
Take a load off, Annie
And (and, and) you put the load right on me
(You put the load right on me)

Crazy Chester followed me and he caught me in the fog
He said, "I will fix your rack if you take Jack, my dog."
I said, "Wait a minute, Chester, you know I'm a peaceful man."
He said, "That's OK, boy, won't you feed him when you can?"

Yeah, take a load off, Annie
Take a load for free
Take a load off, Annie
And (and, and) you put the load right on me
(You put the load right on me)

Catch a cannon ball now to take me down the line
My bag is sinkin' low and I do believe it's time
To get back to Miss Annie, you know she's the only one
Who sent me here with her regards for everyone

Take a load off, Annie
Take a load for free
Take a load off, Annie
And (and, and) you put the load right on me
(You put the load right on me)
 
The Steeldrivers - Sticks That Made Thunder - YouTube

A trees perspective on the senselessness of war.


Lyrics

My roots are deeper than the bones of the others
My colors that change with the sun
My branches, we're higher
Than anything on the hillside
On the day that I watched them all come
Some wear the color of the sky in the winter
Some, we're as blue as the night
They came like a storm with the light of the morn
And they fell through the whole day and night
Colors flew high and they danced in the sky
As I watched them come over the hill
Then to my wonder, sticks that made thunder
Such a great number lay still
When the light came again
There was death on the wind
As the buzzards made way for the worms
And the little white trees that don't bend in the breeze
For the ones that will never return
Colors flew high and they danced in the sky
As I watched them come over the hill
Then to my wonder, sticks that made thunder
Such a great number lay still
Those that have fallen, come when I call them
And answer the best that they can
But all they can see is what they used to be
And that's all that they understand
Colors flew high and they danced in the sky
As I watched them come over the hill
Then to my wonder, sticks that made thunder
Such a great number lay still
Colors flew high and they danced in the sky
As I watched them come over the hill
Then to my wonder, sticks that made thunder
Such a great number lay still

Songwriters: Christopher Stapleton / Mike Henderson
Sticks That Made Thunder lyrics © EMI Music Publishing, Warner/Chappell Music, Inc, Universal Music Publishing Group
 
Last edited:
A Hard Rain’s A-Gonna Fall

Oh, where have you been, my blue-eyed son?
Oh, where have you been, my darling young one?
I’ve stumbled on the side of twelve misty mountains
I’ve walked and I’ve crawled on six crooked highways
I’ve stepped in the middle of seven sad forests
I’ve been out in front of a dozen dead oceans
I’ve been ten thousand miles in the mouth of a graveyard
And it’s a hard, and it’s a hard, it’s a hard, and it’s a hard
And it’s a hard rain’s a-gonna fall

Oh, what did you see, my blue-eyed son?
Oh, what did you see, my darling young one?
I saw a newborn baby with wild wolves all around it
I saw a highway of diamonds with nobody on it
I saw a black branch with blood that kept drippin’
I saw a room full of men with their hammers a-bleedin’
I saw a white ladder all covered with water
I saw ten thousand talkers whose tongues were all broken
I saw guns and sharp swords in the hands of young children
And it’s a hard, and it’s a hard, it’s a hard, it’s a hard
And it’s a hard rain’s a-gonna fall

And what did you hear, my blue-eyed son?
And what did you hear, my darling young one?
I heard the sound of a thunder, it roared out a warnin’
Heard the roar of a wave that could drown the whole world
Heard one hundred drummers whose hands were a-blazin’
Heard ten thousand whisperin’ and nobody listenin’
Heard one person starve, I heard many people laughin’
Heard the song of a poet who died in the gutter
Heard the sound of a clown who cried in the alley
And it’s a hard, and it’s a hard, it’s a hard, it’s a hard
And it’s a hard rain’s a-gonna fall

Oh, who did you meet, my blue-eyed son?
Who did you meet, my darling young one?
I met a young child beside a dead pony
I met a white man who walked a black dog
I met a young woman whose body was burning
I met a young girl, she gave me a rainbow
I met one man who was wounded in love
I met another man who was wounded with hatred
And it’s a hard, it’s a hard, it’s a hard, it’s a hard
It’s a hard rain’s a-gonna fall

Oh, what’ll you do now, my blue-eyed son?
Oh, what’ll you do now, my darling young one?
I’m a-goin’ back out ’fore the rain starts a-fallin’
I’ll walk to the depths of the deepest black forest
Where the people are many and their hands are all empty
Where the pellets of poison are flooding their waters
Where the home in the valley meets the damp dirty prison
Where the executioner’s face is always well hidden
Where hunger is ugly, where souls are forgotten
Where black is the color, where none is the number
And I’ll tell it and think it and speak it and breathe it
And reflect it from the mountain so all souls can see it
Then I’ll stand on the ocean until I start sinkin’
But I’ll know my song well before I start singin’
And it’s a hard, it’s a hard, it’s a hard, it’s a hard
It’s a hard rain’s a-gonna fall

- Bob Dylan

......
 
"Once upon a time
Somebody say to me"
(This is a dog talking, now)
"What is your Conceptual Continuity?
Well, I told him right then,"
Fido said
"It should be easy to see
That the crux of the biscuit
Is the apostrophe (')".
 
Brickyard Road
Johnny Van Zant
Doesn't seem that long ago
Three of us walkin' down that road
Grey '55 Chevy parked in the front yard
Little Melody tagged along
Those were the best days now they're gone
Oh it's been twelve years since it went down
Lord, lost my best friend now
I can still see him fishin' on that old dock
I know I can't bring back yesterday
But oh Lord can't you help me find my way

Down to brickyard road
Oh, walk on down
Down to brickyard road
He's with me now
Swore I saw a Free Bird fly
Ridin' the winds of a Southern sky
When I hear that whistle blow
It carries me back
To brickyard road

Brother, do you realize what you've done?
Touched the hearts of everyone
You might've died too young
But your songs live on
I know I can't bring back yesterday
But we'll be all together again some day

Down on brickyard road
Oh, walk on down
Down to brickyard road
He's with me now
Swore I saw a Free Bird fly
Ridin' the winds of a Southern sky
When I hear that whistle blow
It carries me back
To brickyard road

I can see him standin' on the dock
His old chevy out in the front yard
Walk on down, walk on down

Momma and Daddy's doin' all right
I saw Melody last Saturday night
She's all grown up, she's such a pretty girl
Things just ain't the same since you left our world

Oh, brickyard road
Hear me now
I can see him, down on brickyard road

Swore I saw a Free Bird fly
Ridin' the winds of a Southern sky
And when I hear that whistle blow
It carries me back
To brickyard road
Oh, brickyard road
Oh, brickyard road
want to go back
To brickyard road
 
I had never heard BB King's Take Off Your Shoes until King Solomon Hicks played it as part of his opening act for Beth Hart in mid-February.

"If you`re gonna walk on my love, baby
The least you can do is take off your shoes."

Great line.
 
I know you're leaving's too long overdue
For far too long
I've had nothing new to show to you
With my dry eyes I watched your plane
Fade off west of the moon
And it felt so strange
To walk away alone.

-- Tom Rush
No Regrets/Rockport Sunday
 
747 flies us high
Much higher than we’re meant to be
You’re six miles high but feelin’ down
You wish you could be on the ground

Telegram by Nazareth
 
not much into new pop but i like these lyrics from a new tune


The Glorious Sons
Josie

"Josie rides closely to the line
She's high and she's tryin' to survive
Born with a little bit of trouble in her eyes
Josie rides closely to the line
Go Josie go, go Josie go"



 
maybe the angriest song lou did

the blue mask

"
They tied his arms behind his back
To teach him how to swim
They put blood in his coffee
And milk in his gin
They stood over the soldier
In the midst of the squalor
There was war in his body
And it caused his brain to holler
Make the sacrifice
Mutilate my face
If you need someone to kill
I'm a man without a will
Wash the razor in the rain
Let me luxuriate in pain
Please don't set me free
Death means a lot to me
The pain was lean and it made him scream
He knew he was alive
He put a pin through the nipples on his chest
He thought he was a saint
I've made love to my mother, killed my father and brother
What am I to do
When a sin goes too far, it's like a runaway car
It cannot be controlled
Spit upon his face and scream
There's no oedipus today
This is no play you're thinking you are in
What will you say
Take the blue mask down from my face
And look me in the eye
I get a thrill from punishment
I've always been that way
I loathe and despise repentance
You are permanently stained
Your weakness buys indifference
And indiscretion in the streets
Dirty's what you are and clean is what you're not
You deserve to be soundly beat
Make the sacrifice
Take it all the way
There's no "won't" high enough
To stop this desperate day
Don't take death away
Cut the finger at the joint
Cut the stallion at his mount
And stuff it in his mouth"

Songwriters: Bill Wray / Lou Reed / Pete



 
Back
Top Bottom