sgleich
Well-Known Member
Just because I could, had a spare few hours and wanted something unique for our furniture showroom, I decided to make a base for my new to me PL-610. I crafted it to very tight tolerances from 10/4 figured Black Walnut...
It is made so that the TT sits on its own very nice stock legs upon a 1.5" platform of MDF that is glued into the Walnut "plinth base". The TT's only points of contact are its legs as the TT itself is not in contact with the base aside from the legs (tiny clearance). It appears to be a solid "plinth" until you look closely.
The bottom of the MDF base is supported by four "vibrapods" which allows the Walnut to have pleasing .375" of clearance from the stereo console the TT and components sit on.
Personally, I think it looks cool. I had wanted a nice TT for our showroom and try and make it stand out. I was not having any resonance issues but this further isolated the TT at loud volumes as the EPI 250's actually vibrate the 1930's vintage 8-10" thick industrial concrete floor. You can feel the console vibrating slightly but there is no apparent vibration to the Walnut plinth base much less the TT itself.
The Amp and Pre are isolated too but I should put something under the actual console legs.
Thought someone might find this effort interesting...
The TT sits in this..
Some glamour shots...
It is made so that the TT sits on its own very nice stock legs upon a 1.5" platform of MDF that is glued into the Walnut "plinth base". The TT's only points of contact are its legs as the TT itself is not in contact with the base aside from the legs (tiny clearance). It appears to be a solid "plinth" until you look closely.
The bottom of the MDF base is supported by four "vibrapods" which allows the Walnut to have pleasing .375" of clearance from the stereo console the TT and components sit on.
Personally, I think it looks cool. I had wanted a nice TT for our showroom and try and make it stand out. I was not having any resonance issues but this further isolated the TT at loud volumes as the EPI 250's actually vibrate the 1930's vintage 8-10" thick industrial concrete floor. You can feel the console vibrating slightly but there is no apparent vibration to the Walnut plinth base much less the TT itself.
The Amp and Pre are isolated too but I should put something under the actual console legs.
Thought someone might find this effort interesting...
The TT sits in this..
Some glamour shots...
