• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Marantz 2270 Engraved Survey

Well I am planning to buy mint etched 2270 for about 1000-1200€. Just because I can and I really need to have all four etched 22xx receivers. If money were no object I could pay more. I earned some money during flipping and refurbish receivers and I recently sold my old non etched 2270.
 
Well I am planning to buy mint etched 2270 for about 1000-1200€. Just because I can and I really need to have all four etched 22xx receivers. If money were no object I could pay more. I earned some money during flipping and refurbish receivers and I recently sold my old non etched 2270.
Bought an etched 2270 in its original wood case from the granddaughter of the original owner a year or two ago. Paid $800. It had been untouched. Coming with the case, I was essentially paying $600 for the receiver. Knew it was a good deal but, at the time, it didn't seem insanely good. I guess the prices just keep going up.

Paid $250 for an etched 2230 around the same time. Had both of them recapped and redid the dials myself.

Funny thing is I don't use either anymore. I've moved on to other gear. They sit because they're so pretty, I can't bring myself to part with them. Plus they seem to only go up in value, perhaps faster than my other investments. If I could sell my 2270 without its case for $1200 and another $200 for the case, it's almost doubled in value in less than two years. That's nuts.
 
Yeah, that was a deal you made—and a lucky one at that.

My other three were picked up at different times, each with a bit of luck as well. But I was late to the party. I had other things going on, and by the time I showed up, everyone was already drunk. I went looking for some classy ladies, but most were already in the bathroom throwing up. The truly elegant ones? They were up in the VIP balcony. So here we are.
Along the way, I had a few flings with other like the early '70s Sony STR series. They were wild, even smart. But I’m a Marantz guy at heart. I’m happy with a pretty face and a beautiful body.
As for prices climbing the way they are well, it’s like the pimps are smoking crack. Some of the ladies are straight from the streets, others are high-class escorts. The buyers? They're trying to grow their own weed, but most still end up going home hard and unsatisfied. Just my two cents.
 
Yeah, that was a deal you made—and a lucky one at that.

My other three were picked up at different times, each with a bit of luck as well. But I was late to the party. I had other things going on, and by the time I showed up, everyone was already drunk. I went looking for some classy ladies, but most were already in the bathroom throwing up. The truly elegant ones? They were up in the VIP balcony. So here we are.
Along the way, I had a few flings with other like the early '70s Sony STR series. They were wild, even smart. But I’m a Marantz guy at heart. I’m happy with a pretty face and a beautiful body.
As for prices climbing the way they are well, it’s like the pimps are smoking crack. Some of the ladies are straight from the streets, others are high-class escorts. The buyers? They're trying to grow their own weed, but most still end up going home hard and unsatisfied. Just my two cents.
Quite the colorful imagery, my friend.
 
Both these two from an old man who converted his detached garage as his listening room. I bought the 2230 for $40 while the 2270 was $40 back in 2014. He gave me some wall treatments for free too. We had a great conversation and he was surprised to see a young guy very interested on old audio equipment. I did a complete recapped of both receivers back in 2014 and still working flawlessly except for the power switches.

I contacted @patfont and installed the new power switches yesterday. Both works perfectly now.

IMG_2225.jpeg
 
So I bought, "not really mint" etched 2270. Multi-voltage unit, PX perhaps, Europe version serial 51524.
Brighter of them all - (see signature), but I couldn t - shouldn t - wouldn t - tell that it could be the silver one. Depends of the beam angle. Chassis is yellow.
But I noticed different face surface. Like grade of sanding paper. It seems that they all change color by different viewing angle.
I will put them all on a top of each other and post a pic soon.
 
FYI. I have a silver engraved 2015 with serial number 57xx. This goes hand in hand with what I had learned over the years of collecting: engraved plates started at 1001 and up to 6000, give or take. Also, when they transitioned to stamped faceplates, it was not seamless…meaning there was mixing of engraved and stamped at the end of the engraved run. For example, 5700-5707 may be engraved…5708-5840 may have been stamped, followed by a few more engraved…yada yada yada.

Finally, virtually all engraved faces had silver or black speaker terminals on the reverse…not red and black. There are exceptions…
 
If anyone has these units I would like to see the faceplates. I havre seen 5+ units just after the 5,000 mark that are not engraved but have the very coarse finish.
 
Hi everyone! I recently bought, and had restored, a beautiful Marantz 2270 Silver Engraved receiver. The restoration was done fellow Audiokarma member Salbreth1. He did a phenomenal job. This purchase was by accident. I knew it was an engraved 2270 due to the serial number being between 1,000 and 5,000 but I did not expect it to arrive with the Silver face plate. From experience you only see a few 2270 silver engraved models from time to time. A recent Silver engraved face plate only sold for around $300 on E-Bay.

My question is out of the 4,000 total engraved 2270 receivers made, how many were made with the silver engraved finish? They appear to be very rare within the 4,000 total made 2270 engraved units. The engraved 2270's themselves were very rare. Consider that only 4,000 2270 engraved receivers were produced (4.7%) out of a total 2270 model production run of 84,854.

I have also seen two types of Silver engraved face plates. Mine has a high gloss finish. The other Silver engraved face plate I have seen in person was a very coarse looking finish. This coarse finish resembles units with a serial number just above the 5,000 mark.

My Silver engraved 2270 has serial #3771. The following serial numbers (#479, #1558, #1521 and #3321) are all 2270 champagne engraved receivers that I own, sold or have recently been on E-Bay.

So Marantz 2270 engraved owners lets try and and combine some information on this question. If you have a Silver or Champagne engraved 2270 provide your serial number so maybe an accurate database can be established on this very rare receiver!!! Also Silver engraved owners indicate a glossy or coarse looking finish. In the photos, the left picture is a 2270 with the glossy Silver finish and on the right is the Champagne 2270. I feel very lucky to have been able to buy both units, they are still stunning after all these years!!! Thank everyone in advance for their help.
My Serial #1006 champagne/engraved I also have #1045 which is also champagne/engraved.
 

Attachments

  • IMG_0316.jpeg
    IMG_0316.jpeg
    62.9 KB · Views: 9
  • IMG_0317.jpeg
    IMG_0317.jpeg
    126.7 KB · Views: 10
I remain unsure that there was a separate silver and campaign plate. Exposure to light and/or smoke could be the difference. Maybe even humidity. The lacquers used in those days weren't all that stable.
 
I remain unsure that there was a separate silver and campaign plate. Exposure to light and/or smoke could be the difference. Maybe even humidity. The lacquers used in those days weren't all that stable.
OMG yesssssssssssssssss there is!!!!!! I have painstakingly documented this over the last 10 years +/-. I personally own both. When i get my silver engraved unit back i will post pictures just for you. I want to delete your post. There have already been photos posted (not sure if 2270 but other models) showing this. I want an apology when i post photos of both soon.
 
OMG yesssssssssssssssss there is!!!!!! I have painstakingly documented this over the last 10 years +/-. I personally own both. When i get my silver engraved unit back i will post pictures just for you. I want to delete your post. There have already been photos posted (not sure if 2270 but other models) showing this. I want an apology when i post photos of both soon.
I remain unsure that there was a separate silver and campaign plate. Exposure to light and/or smoke could be the difference. Maybe even humidity. The lacquers used in those days weren't all that stable.
Look at the very beginning of this thread I did post both units years ago. Brighter lights would help but there is your proof
 
OMG yesssssssssssssssss there is!!!!!! I have painstakingly documented this over the last 10 years +/-. I personally own both. When i get my silver engraved unit back i will post pictures just for you. I want to delete your post. There have already been photos posted (not sure if 2270 but other models) showing this. I want an apology when i post photos of both soon.
I can't help but note how intensely you feel about this. Some person has a different opinion than you; so what? And here you're jumping out of your shoes to defend your opinion and feel the need for an apology. That speaks to an underlying insecurity as to your point of view.

Photos prove nothing. You'd have to go back in time and show both units as they were on the day they emerged from the factory. Otherwise, there's no way to know if they were once the same and altered due to environmental factors or whether they were always different.
 
I can't help but note how intensely you feel about this. Some person has a different opinion than you; so what? And here you're jumping out of your shoes to defend your opinion and feel the need for an apology. That speaks to an underlying insecurity as to your point of view.

Photos prove nothing. You'd have to go back in time and show both units as they were on the day they emerged from the factory. Otherwise, there's no way to know if they were once the same and altered due to environmental factors or whether they were go b
Go back in a time tunnel and report back then. Photos don’t prove anything that’s a new one. This is not a conspiracy theory but factual information that I have verified. I have owned around 15 engraved 2270 so I do know what I’m talking about. Yes I have seen units that things like cigarettes smoke has discolored. You’re entitled to your opinion, mine is based on facts. Not wasting my time with this anymore!
 
Go back in a time tunnel and report back then. Photos don’t prove anything that’s a new one. This is not a conspiracy theory but factual information that I have verified. I have owned around 15 engraved 2270 so I do know what I’m talking about. Yes I have seen units that things like cigarettes smoke has discolored. You’re entitled to your opinion, mine is based on facts. Not wasting my time with this anymore!
That's fine with me. You have your opinion; I have mine. No hard feelings on my part.
 
I’ve owned both silver and champagne Marantz equipment. They are different.

Let’s put this argument about “opinions” to bed.

From the official Marantz website under “The Marantz Timeline”:

IMG_6682.jpeg
 
Back
Top Bottom