• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Marantz 2270 high efficiency speakers

Gwedo

New Member
I'm new here so be easy on me. I did try searching but wasn't able for find any specifics on my Title/Subject.

Found a nice 2270 at garage sale. I didn't steal it but it was in great shape and was checked out. Was wondering what would be a great pair of high efficiency speakers to look for. I currently have a pair of JBL L26 Decade loudspeakers and was looking for something high efficient. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Regards,
-Gwedo
 
Register to hide this ad
A) Well done and congradulations, a 2270 is a nice thing to have.
B) a 2270 has the power to drive almost anything, sooo...

Why high efficiency?
What do you listen to?
What is the room like that you listen in like?
 
The 2270, when operating as it should, makes right around 100 Watts/Ch-RMS, considerably more than the rated 70 Watts/Ch.
If not already done, though, age has already begun to take it's toll on the electrolytic caps in the 2270, and a restoration should be considered, sooner rather than later.
And while I would not recommend it for the truly difficult loads presented by some speakers, it will do a fine job driving any moderately efficient speaker system, which certainly includes JBL speakers. While I'm not specifically familiar with the JBL L26 you already own, I can tell you JBL systems are among the most efficient systems out there.
You have adequate power to choose just about any system you like, which, IMHO, is the principle arguement in favor of more power, whether in a receiver or separate amp.
 
I'm new here so be easy on me. I did try searching but wasn't able for find any specifics on my Title/Subject.

Found a nice 2270 at garage sale. I didn't steal it but it was in great shape and was checked out. Was wondering what would be a great pair of high efficiency speakers to look for. I currently have a pair of JBL L26 Decade loudspeakers and was looking for something high efficient. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Regards,
-Gwedo

Now you are taking me back to 1974-76. I good friend had the 2270 and L26 combo and the 2270 pushed them with ease.

I agree on the advice to recap/restore.

I have a 2270 that needs a restore so I do not use it often. I hope to get the extra cash and the time to do this someday soon.

The 2270 is an early designed model from the 22xx series and it is special IMHO.
 
Those Decades are pretty durn efficient themselves. Unless you go very large, you may find somewhat of a letdown in their overall sound.

Hoffman's Law of speaker design specifies three goals: Small size, extended bass, high efficiency. You can have two, any two, but not all three.

Plus, seventy watts isn't exactly flea power.
 
Just wanting to build what I never could afford in the 70's, then onto a tube system someday. On the music side, I like most of the late 60's and 70's rock (Clapton, Cocker, Zeppelin, Jefferson Airplane etc.) and classical acoustic guitar. Haven't a clue what I'm doing (might want to read that again) component wise as I simply fell into some of the components, like a Technics SL-1600 with a Stanton 681EEE cart. In any case, that's WHY I came to this forum. Oh, the room I will be using is about 14'-0" x 18'-0".
 

Attachments

  • DSC_8823aa.jpg
    DSC_8823aa.jpg
    58.4 KB · Views: 57
  • DSC_8821aa.jpg
    DSC_8821aa.jpg
    111.6 KB · Views: 54
Last edited:
Just wanting to build what I never could afford in the 70's, then onto a tube system someday. On the music side, I like most of the late 60's and 70's rock (Clapton, Cocker, Zeppelin, Jefferson Airplane etc.) and classical acoustic guitar. Haven't a clue what I'm doing (might want to read that again) component wise as I simply fell into some of the components, like a Technics SL-1600 with a Stanton 681EEE cart. In any case, that's WHY I came to this forum. Oh, the room I will be using is about 14'-0" x 18'-0".

I still play my original 2270 frequently. It's on duty in the bedroom these days, though. Back when it was new it played all those great bands you mentioned... oh yah, you can add Santana Abraxis to that list.:thmbsp:
 
I am using my 2270 with JBL L-100. A marriage made in heaven. Consider 4311's as well if you like the Lansing sound.
 
Just wanting to build what I never could afford in the 70's, then onto a tube system someday. On the music side, I like most of the late 60's and 70's rock (Clapton, Cocker, Zeppelin, Jefferson Airplane etc.) and classical acoustic guitar. Haven't a clue what I'm doing (might want to read that again) component wise as I simply fell into some of the components, like a Technics SL-1600 with a Stanton 681EEE cart. In any case, that's WHY I came to this forum. Oh, the room I will be using is about 14'-0" x 18'-0".

Big room, classic rock. :scratch2:
Some of the vintage speakers I run come tom mind, such as Advent Maestros (not very efficient though), Klipsch KG5.5, Dahlquist DQ-20 or DQM-9, Infinity Monitor Jr. ADS L710 (bit small) L810 (Like power), RTR 280DR. Speakerlab 3.

I can't seem to get any good vintage JBL. The flippers get to them first.
There are a LOT of nice vintage speakers that I have not tried and/or do not show up a lot.

Recapping the unit is usually a good idea but more important is to have it checked to find out if its woking well (or OK) now. A bias and DC offset check should be done. These are a little trickier to check and there are errors in the manual. The sticky post for manual mistakes in the Marantz area has the correct steps. There is a service mod for the earlier ones that should be done if you plan on running it fairly hard. (should be done anyway).

I worked on one that seemed OK, but the amps were right on the edge. A complete rebuild made a nice improvment.
 
I've got a thread with a bunch of pictures of my 2270 that I just totally went through and replaced all the electrolytics.

Mine is rocking a pair of Klipsch Forte's. Best sounding speaker I've ever heard.
 
Me again,

I am wondering if anyone has actual experience running the Yamaha NS-1000 with the Marantz 2270? I picked up a nice pair today but haven't tried them.
 
Decades are a good start....

I'm new here so be easy on me. I did try searching but wasn't able for find any specifics on my Title/Subject.

Found a nice 2270 at garage sale. I didn't steal it but it was in great shape and was checked out. Was wondering what would be a great pair of high efficiency speakers to look for. I currently have a pair of JBL L26 Decade loudspeakers and was looking for something high efficient. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Regards,
-Gwedo

Have owned them and thats a nice start. I really like my JBL L100s and a Marantz 4270 in stereo mode. Bridged, it puts out about the same as your 2270. Great find you got. Been very happy with my setup. The music is very detailed. All music sounds good with no fatique after long listening sessions. Run a 2nd pr of 100s on a Pioneer SA9100 amp (60 watts) with good results. Would grab another pr if they showed up:D

Eric
 
Really, the 2270 has enough power for most speakers.

I used it with Paradigm and B&W and no problems, good sound!

I can recall my friend had L26's and then Large Advents and the 2270 did a great job. Of course L100's are a classic match.

I have also read that Boston Acoustic and EPI from that era did quite well with them too.
 
Well I've been searching for about four hours now and haven't found anyone using the NS-1000 with a 2270.
 
im using ESS amt 10b and they sound great with the marantz and the 70+ watt power output, didnt care for the sound when using with my energy pro22's, which are awesome speakers with the right receiver.
 
The NS-1000's are likely going to sound pretty good with any decent amp pushing them. The NS-1000 are somewhat rare. They could very easily be a keeper for life for many of us here on this forum.
 
Last edited:
I've got a 2270 and have had Altec 604's and Model 19 hooked up. Both sounded just great with the 2270. Can't go wrong with all of the older Altecs and their all very efficent speakers.
 
I wonder which McIntosh (that you can find) would be a sweet setup for the NS-1000's? Oh, I did hook up the NS-1000's to the 2270 and indeed they sound great to my ears.
 
Back
Top Bottom