• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

MCD-500 First Impression

#1005 is up and running, I like it enough to have boxed up the D2 for the time being. And, I put in another order (for a MCD500) for one to replace my new MCD301 in my smaller system. So, unless there is a new one box MCD1000, not the transport, this may stick around for awhile.

I could BS and say it blows the D2 away, but that would be nonsense. However, I really don't hear any sonic difference at this time. Nor have I really heard differences when i've sat and listened to the D2, a Meridian 808, and some Chord thing costing $30,000. The D2 was maybe a tad faster, almost to fast sometimes. I will piss and moan that the remote doesn't open/close the unit, but i'll pretend i'm getting up to turn an album over.

I will say the MCD was a lot easier to put on the rack. Now, i'm looking into a MS300. If I mention getting a MT10, someone please talk me out of it.:D

My pictures suck, but the equipment doesn't. MCD500, MR85, C1000/1000P, MC1.2KW's. And you don't see the SF Elipsa.
I agree with several of your initial comments. The remote which they must use for other products is not great (Esoteric has very good ones). On SACD it does not blow away a X03-Se let alone I assume your D2. I think that it does have a little better low end on CD's. The build is good but not near to the level of the better Esoteric units. (It weighs less thatn 1/2 I think.) But I am very, very happy and am not looking back at all. I really like using the DAC's for my MS-300.

My problem is, I am very content right now. What am I going to spend my time looking for?
 
I agree with several of your initial comments. The remote which they must use for other products is not great (Esoteric has very good ones). On SACD it does not blow away a X03-Se let alone I assume your D2. I think that it does have a little better low end on CD's. The build is good but not near to the level of the better Esoteric units. (It weighs less thatn 1/2 I think.) But I am very, very happy and am not looking back at all. I really like using the DAC's for my MS-300.

My problem is, I am very content right now. What am I going to spend my time looking for?

More music to enjoy? :D
 
My pictures suck, but the equipment doesn't. MCD500, MR85, C1000/1000P, MC1.2KW's. And you don't see the SF Elipsa.

Nice going! Your rack looks much better with all McIntosh gear.

Regarding the MT10 ... :scratch2: :no: :scratch2: :yes: :scratch2: :no: :scratch2: :yes: :scratch2: :no:

Tough call - unless you already have a significant vinyl collection - and even then, they better be in good shape to be worthy of such an expensive turntable and cartridge.

I must say that since I got the MDA1000, my turntable has been getting considerably less action - I even sold the Aries 2. But I don't think I'll ever be able to give up my custom plinth Thorens (see pic).

Alberto
 

Attachments

  • Clearaudio Maestro on TD125 .jpg
    Clearaudio Maestro on TD125 .jpg
    64.1 KB · Views: 116
I must say that since I got the MDA1000, my turntable has been getting considerably less action - I even sold the Aries 2. But I don't think I'll ever be able to give up my custom plinth Thorens (see pic).


Llooks like you have a SME arm. I am currently using a 9” SME-3009 on my TT, but in addition to that I also have the longer version 3012 which I bought some 30 years ago, brand new in the box, I suppose that the damping fluid may not be in good shape after so many years. Are 3012’s worth anything these days?

http://www.analogue-classics.com/html/sme_3009___3012.html

Vahe
 
I must say that since I got the MDA1000, my turntable has been getting considerably less action - I even sold the Aries 2. But I don't think I'll ever be able to give up my custom plinth Thorens (see pic).

Alberto
Alberto, I am guessing Thorens will stay in your system for nostalgic/sentimental reasons, not so much the sonic advantage over the MDA1000 but that is the problem with having the MDA1000 in our systems. What the MDA1000 does to redbook CD playback is very difficult to best with an analog rig. So far the only analog setup I have heard that I would say would be on equal footing to my ears with the MDA was the SME 20/IV.Vi tonearm/Celebration II cart (approx $20k total).
 
Alberto, I am guessing Thorens will stay in your system for nostalgic/sentimental reasons, not so much the sonic advantage over the MDA1000 but that is the problem with having the MDA1000 in our systems. What the MDA1000 does to redbook CD playback is very difficult to best with an analog rig. So far the only analog setup I have heard that I would say would be on equal footing to my ears with the MDA was the SME 20/IV.Vi tonearm/Celebration II cart (approx $20k total).


It's partly for sentimental reasons but also because it sounds great - the way *I* think LPs should sound. Not in the Hi-Fi sense, but in the "get you into the music" sense. My VPI was a better table (more accurate, lower noise floor, etc.) but it sounded too close to CDs - if that makes any sense. That's why I ultimately sold it and kept the vintage Thorens/SME (and yes, looks had a lot to do with it.)

Thing is, when I want to listen to analog, I want it to sound very different from digital.

Alberto
 
Alberto,
That is one beautiful turntable! That plinth really moves your turntable up from the functional to display status. I think I'll go dust off my TD126Mk2 and spin an album or two.:yes:
 
Thing is, when I want to listen to analog, I want it to sound very different from digital.

Alberto
That is an interesting approach Alberto. :scratch2: When I hear a well setup analog rig playing a quality album, it sounds to me like what I would have expected CDs to sound like if they were recorded properly. :music: When I heard the SME table that I mentioned above, it was the analog smoothness and a greater sense of palpability and 3 dimensionality that was emanating from the speakers as compared to the same CD I had at home. I was mostly impressed with the SME table because it was so similar to the MDA rather than different but the vinyl album was clearly superior to the CD remaster. :yes: This is what I expect and hope to achieve going forward and selecting an analog playback rig. I don't expect to ever amass the same collection of vinyl as I have on CDs but it will be fun getting some albums of my favorite artists and enjoying a hopefully better quality version of the same musical performance. :yes: That Thorens table you have is a great looking table by the way. :thmbsp:
 
That is an interesting approach Alberto.

It (i.e. wanting my analog to sound different from digital) was not something I intentionally set out to do, but something I realized over time. My conclusion is that I am not a Platonist when it comes to sound reproduction. Even if there was an ideal system that could reproduce sound with 100% accuracy - The Absolute Sound - I am not sure I'd prefer that to something that adds some warmth and smoothness to it.

When I got the MDA1000, I went for a couple of weeks without listening to vinyl then, one evening, I got a real craving for it. It was some sort of vinyl withdrawal. And what fixed it was a few sides on my Thorens - clicks and pops included :D:D.

Not everyone's cup of tea, but definitely mine.

Alberto
 
When I got the MDA1000, I went for a couple of weeks without listening to vinyl then, one evening, I got a real craving for it. It was some sort of vinyl withdrawal. And what fixed it was a few sides on my Thorens - clicks and pops included :D:D.

Not everyone's cup of tea, but definitely mine.

Alberto
I understand. :yes: Whatever brings you closer to enjoying music is the real winner in my book. :music: You know I still remember those endless listening sessions with my Earmax OTL triode headphone amp with telefunken tubes. While it was not a champ at ultimate detail, resolution and dynamics, it was musical to the bone and every listening session was just magical. :music:
 
#1005 is up and running, I like it enough to have boxed up the D2 for the time being. And, I put in another order (for a MCD500) for one to replace my new MCD301 in my smaller system. So, unless there is a new one box MCD1000, not the transport, this may stick around for awhile.

I could BS and say it blows the D2 away, but that would be nonsense. However, I really don't hear any sonic difference at this time. Nor have I really heard differences when i've sat and listened to the D2, a Meridian 808, and some Chord thing costing $30,000. The D2 was maybe a tad faster, almost to fast sometimes. I will piss and moan that the remote doesn't open/close the unit, but i'll pretend i'm getting up to turn an album over.

I will say the MCD was a lot easier to put on the rack. Now, i'm looking into a MS300. If I mention getting a MT10, someone please talk me out of it.:D

My pictures suck, but the equipment doesn't. MCD500, MR85, C1000/1000P, MC1.2KW's. And you don't see the SF Elipsa.

another nice looking rack....:yes: :drool:

Nice going! Your rack looks much better with all McIntosh gear.

Regarding the MT10 ... :scratch2: :no: :scratch2: :yes: :scratch2: :no: :scratch2: :yes: :scratch2: :no:

Tough call - unless you already have a significant vinyl collection - and even then, they better be in good shape to be worthy of such an expensive turntable and cartridge.

I must say that since I got the MDA1000, my turntable has been getting considerably less action - I even sold the Aries 2. But I don't think I'll ever be able to give up my custom plinth Thorens (see pic).

Alberto

Alberto.....not into vinyl myself but that is beautiful :drool:
 
Nice thorens. I am trying to decide whether to keep my technique turntable and upgrade the tone arm and cartridge or sell it and get a new turntable ? Where did you find your thorens ?
 
Nice thorens. I am trying to decide whether to keep my technique turntable and upgrade the tone arm and cartridge or sell it and get a new turntable ? Where did you find your thorens ?

Hi doc, I found my turntable on eBay (of all places) some 3 years ago. I got it - believe it or not - for only $800. The TD125 is a great table to start with, but the custom plinth makes it truly special.

The Technics are nice tables with quite a following. There are people who use them with cartridges that cost much more than the table itself, but I am not sure that it's worth changing the arm on them.

Alberto
 
Back
Top Bottom