• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

McIntosh - Tubes or Solid State - Poll

Tubes or Solid State

  • Tubes

    Votes: 71 56.3%
  • Solid State

    Votes: 55 43.7%

  • Total voters
    126
Tubes, all the NOS floating around out there gives enticing / maddening reasons to tinker with your beloved audio gear.
 
McIntosh is the only brand where you can have class leading tube or solid state products, either amps or preamps. Dedication to sound scientific engineering principles is how this has happened.

thanks,
Ron-C
 
I'll be honest, I am surprised at the results. I would have bet that about a third of the pollers would choose tubes and two thirds solid state. :scratch2: I guess the passion for tubes still burns strong and it's a good thing McIntosh is in the business of making tubed gear. The rumored 300w tubed monoblocks would be a welcomed addition to join the ranks of the "upper" solid state amps. :yes:
 
No doubt that high powered tube mono blocks engineered for 4 ohm speakers would sell. They would most likely beat anything in their range of competition and make new McIntosh fans and sell matching preamps as well. :music:



Carl
 
The new tube monoblocks driving Sonus Faber Elipsa sure sounds like it would be a great pairing. :music: Hmm, may have to explore that possibility. :scratch2:
 
Solid state for me. No tube tweaking, rolling, constantly worrying about changing one, and then if I change that one, should I change both, etc., etc.

Not knocking that tube sound; but Mc gives me much of that in SS gear, and for 'way fewer headaches. What ever gets you through the night.
 
Solid state for me

I votes for SS.

I really like the look of tubes, nothing better looking then the glow of tubes, but SS suits me fine.

If my SS starts glowing orange, I know it's time to turn down the volume :D
 
Which McIntosh products are your favorite, tubes or solid state. If you own both, pick one or the other, amps or pre-amps, doesn't matter, you have to choose your camp. What's it gonna be?

All seven of my Mc instruments are solid state. In 1975 when I became `Mc aware´ the second generation of SS amplifiers had already come out. Also have 1st gen SS system.

C26-MC2505-MR77
C33-MC2205-MR80-MCD7007

-G
 
tubes vs. solid state

sorry everyone,I have the best of both worlds,Mac c2200 tube/preamp-----Mac mc252(two bi amp) solid state amps ,they sound awsome!!!!!!!!:music:
 
Back
Top Bottom