• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Your main system - Tubes, Solid State or both?

My main system consists of:


  • Total voters
    116
Solid state all the way. But I heard some where Mac is selling as many or more tube pre-amps as Solid state. And though I own all SS I am very fond of the C-500 T for just pure sound. Its not flexible enough for me so I will stick with my C-34. If I were going to have an all tube system, two MC 3500's, a C-22 III, two passive White 1/3 octave EQ and My Concert Grands going back to passive crossovers. A nice SME 15 A turntable with a Dynavector and my LP collection.would be great OK I would steal a feed from the MVP 861 using a balanced analog signal to play CD's. But we'll keep that Quiet. If I could have obtained those XR 290's I would still want the 3500's and feed them off the pre-out #2 of the C-34 to drive the 290's. That would be the best of both worlds, tube and SS./CD and Vinyl. Any one want to loan me $60,000 for the next opportunity?
 
Last edited:
Solid state all the way. But I heard some where Mac is selling as many or more tube pre-amps as Solid state. And though I own all SS I am very fond of the C-500 T for just pure sound. Its not flexible enough for me so I will stick with my C-34. If I were going to have an all tube system, two MC 3500's, a C-22 III, two passive White 1/3 octave EQ and My Concert Grands going back to passive crossovers. A nice SME 15 A turntable with a Dynavector and my LP collection.would be great OK I would steal a feed from the MVP 861 using a balanced analog signal to play CD's. But we'll keep that Quiet. If I could have obtained those XR 290's I would still want the 3500's and feed them off the pre-out #2 of the C-34 to drive the 290's. That would be the best of both worlds, tube and SS./CD and Vinyl. Any one want to loan me $60,000 for the next opportunity?
Solid state! :cool:
 
I have a pile of vacuum tube amps for guitar, but all of my Hi-Fi equip. is solid state.
Solid state amps are virtually useless for Guitar amplification, in my opinion.
That being said, I always wanted an Mc275 for my hi-fi system, but I went in another direction.
(Used to have a pair of Dynaco MkIII's that I traded for my pair of Mc2100's)
 
Last edited:
Tube have their own beautiful sound when over driven for entertainment use where SS does not. Its fact. of life. But as our systems are for Hifi reproduction I will stick with SS.
 
I'm all solid state. MC2105, C28, MR74, MQ101, ML-1C. After a great local auction score on the 2105/C28 I started looking for comparable gear from the same early 70s era. It made sense considering that all the newer stuff is usually too expensive for me to justify and all the older tube stuff is definitely too expensive. Found the ML-1Cs being used as end tables in a thrift store. Still waiting to walk in somewhere and see an MC275 sitting there next to the old space heaters or toaster ovens but nowadays those places look that kind of stuff up and sell it online for big bucks so I think its gonna be all solid state for me in the near future.
 
Welcome to AK, @Foreverlo.

How about a photo, or two, of your set up? To me, the MC2105, C28, MR74 combo is quite possibly the most beautiful system that McIntosh, or anybody else, has ever produced.
 
Thanks GMC. I've been meaning to take a few pics but was waiting until, you know, I found the right rack, upgraded my turntable, replaced the faceplate lights in my preamp, etc. Everything's in progress and just sitting on a big sturdy table. I did finish replacing the lights though and like everybody else's, my system will probably forever be a work in progress. so, hey, I think you've given me a homework assignment!
 
I understand. Just know that pictures are not frowned upon here, so you can always post more when you find that new rack or turntable.
 
I have all tube equipment for pure audio listening and solid state for home theater with the exception of a MC275-V strapped to mono for the center channel.
 
SS. MC2105/C24, both restored both amazing sounding.

c24case.jpg






2105.jpg
 
  • Like
Reactions: gmc
Back
Top Bottom