• Please note that Audiokarma will be offline briefly for updates early on Monday morning, September 28th.

McIntosh Turntable Poll

Not sure if this was posted before or not, but I just came across this video interview with Chuck from McIntosh www.avguide.com/features/cedia07/videos/mcintosh.php

When you see the turntable in the video, it looks kind of cool! Also hearing Chuck describe the meter as a tachometer that tracks the turntable speed in real time -- I get it. I’ve often wished I had that kind of feedback on my turntable power supply.

Nice footage of the c2300 and c500 also

I think from my research that on turntable power supply you pay more for more accurate and stable power supply.
 
Sorry. However much I watch the video and turn my head and want to like it, it still looks horrendous to me. Let's hope it looks better in the flesh :yes:

howie
 
.....a thicker, heavier platter-spinner-thingie, would surely help the stylus deal with vibrations from the SPL levels broadcast into the listening chamber....sure, a dust cover pretty much ensures the stylus won't feel direct spl's from open-air exposure, but what about the effect of spl's hitting the entire Turntable structure?.... could things be soothed somewhat with a taller, heavier platter?....that platter on the McIntosh TT might be a key to performance specs....have specs been released from the home plant?.....

Look's like the Ceramic Magnetic Bearing (CMB)? should take care of vibration. I think its a high tech approach to isolating the platter vs. using springs, bladders and rubber band type applications. You can use a solid fixed base but still get the benefits of a sprung system??

You can see Chuck Hinton on the last video bounce the platter with his hand and the base stays fixed.

It's growing on me, I like it without hearing it yet.
 
Watching that video just makes me shudder.

The magnetic bearing acts like - well a spring that jumps up and down. That is not good for the arm, cartridge or isolation of both.

How is that going to make for better sound??
Using clearaudio's cheap acrylic platter and bearing and a very high mark up.

I just hope that the tonearm and cartridge is not made by clearaudio as well.
Oh boy
 
Watching that video just makes me shudder. The magnetic bearing acts like - well a spring that jumps up and down.
Only jumps up and down if one hits it with some force, like the rep did in the video. Nice thing about the magnets is they provide similar dampening as springs without all the drawbacks. I definitely like that magnetic suspension. And, I have to say that seeing the TT in a video is much better than in a still. Not bad at all. Got to start saving.

ron-c.......who is the supplier of the MC cartridge mentioned?
 
In 30 yrs these turntables will be highly collectable and desirable.:yes:

You mean like the Delorean?? :D

stainlessWings-JohnDelorean2.jpg
 
Didn't know a turntable could be described as a 'killer app'. The meter is absolutlely 100% superfluous and stupid. As the 'rep' mentioned a patented blue meter- gotta stick it on everything or they won't know it's a Mac. Look if it means more turntables are sold- who cares? That means more cartridges being made and more competition and I'm all for that. $8k is stupid for that, but there will always be one clown born every minute who will pay that. WOuld I have one for free? Yes. Would I pay $1k for it, maybe but no more.
 
In 30 yrs these turntables will be highly collectable and desirable.:yes:
Vinyl is the only section of recorded music that has shown consistently positive growth over the past several years. With the drop in digital media sales, vinyl might be your only option at some point. Unless you are into lo-fi downloads.
 
Didn't know a turntable could be described as a 'killer app'. The meter is absolutlely 100% superfluous and stupid. As the 'rep' mentioned a patented blue meter- gotta stick it on everything or they won't know it's a Mac. Look if it means more turntables are sold- who cares? That means more cartridges being made and more competition and I'm all for that. $8k is stupid for that, but there will always be one clown born every minute who will pay that. WOuld I have one for free? Yes. Would I pay $1k for it, maybe but no more.

With all due respect, I would take one for free but you need to be a little realistic. The arm, cart and CMB (ceramic magnetic platter) on the unit from what I have researched are approximately $4500.00 US dollars. It looks like it will play 78's, include a 3 inch platter and where are you?

If you do a little investigating I think you will find companies like VPI, Avid etc. charge a premium so you can see and monitor what your platter is doing as far as speed through the power supply. Let's add another $1200 to $3000 to the unit. I would believe that MAC has paid attention to the power supply/motor to support and spin that heavy 3 inch platter, you need torque.
 
Back
Top Bottom