• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

McIntosh Turntable Poll

It would be really helpful if someone could post answers to the basics on the design and tell us how it sounds:

Suspension – sprung or fixed
Tone arm type and bearing – fixed or uni-pivot?
Tone arm length - 9, 10, 12 in?
Platter- glass or acrylic?
Bering type – inverted?
Motor type – DC or AC?
Speed control mechanism
What is the meter for? To indicate the turntable speed?
 
The poll that would interest me, but wouldn't be feasible would be asking the general non-audiophile public which one looks nicer. I bet there is some level of conditioning to what a high end turntable should look like, and Mc's lack of conformance to the "norm" if you will, is causing poor reactions. I mean, some very high end TTs (Linn LP12, specifically) don't look like much at first glance but there are those that have heard them that wouldn't consider another option. I could do without the meter but it's become a branding device for them, so I am not at all surprised that it's included.

I'm much more interested in performance than conformance.
 
I'm reserving my judgement. Like when the new Corvette design was introduced about 10 years ago. It takes time to get used to.

It isn't bad looking to my eyes. If I owned one it would be the best looking TT available for the $$$.

I don't own any Mac gear. Maybe someday. Mac is the industry standard in my opinion, and anything they make is fine by me.
 
well it looks that we both made a poll, mine got deleted though :D

so, I voted for 2 options (this being the third and the last one)

I think they do deserve credits for developing a tt, but god this thing is just too ugly, and it looks 'cheap' in a sort of way, just like they were busy designing an amp, and then they decided to quickly mount a platter & a tonearm on it and voila, instant tt designed in a mere 10 minutes...

so, please, redesign it Mc...

Keep them spinning,
Bert.
 
square_wheels.jpg
 
meter and glassfront are ok by me but it s not symetric, look were the spindle its not in center with front and i don´t like the look of the tonearm
i guess it´s cool looking with that green glass plater in dark
maybee it can only be judged in performing at home
 
it looks 'cheap' in a sort of way,
Bert.

Looks can be deceiving. I suspect there is some serious engineering here.
How many companies do you think can machine a 4 in glass platter to high tolerances? I suspect the case contains a sophisticated speed control mechanism

The poll may not be that useful until we get more detail on the bearing, tone arm, motor, platter etc

The real question is how does it perform compared to others in its price bracket. SME? Brinkmann?, JA Michell? Avid? SOTA? There is lots to choose from in the $7-10K range
 
Let's not forget the VPI TNT!



Looks can be deceiving. I suspect there is some serious engineering here.
How many companies do you think can machine a 4 in glass platter to high tolerances? I suspect the case contains a sophisticated speed control mechanism

The poll may not be that useful until we get more detail on the bearing, tone arm, motor, platter etc

The real question is how does it perform compared to others in its price bracket. SME? Brinkmann?, JA Michell? Avid? SOTA? There is lots to choose from in the $7-10K range
 
There is no option to describe my revultion of that Turntable,the more i look at it the more i hate it,what was Mac thinking,sound issues & performance aside one of the things that keeps me with Mcintosh when i can afford other gear is that Mcintosh gear has a classy look to it,even vintage Mac reeks of class & says hi end just looking at it,this stupid lookin thing says that its thrown together & gimicky with a design based on flash,not class.

This is the "Ronco Pocket Fisherman" of Mcintosh gear,the design was clearly approved if not demanded by corporate suit & tie's instead of audio lovers much like what went on with Clarion at the helm.

I was expecting to see something classy looking,i kinda had a mental picture of a TT based on a classic Denon design,maybe with a black wood base & a smoked blue dust cover with a blue strobe,maybe even the Mcintosh logo on the front in blue led,anything but that mess.

I dont care if it sounds like angles singing directly to me,if it looks like a turd it is a turd.:thumbsdn:
 
It might not look that great, but how it sounds is what really counts. It might be a top of the line turntable that looks funny.
 
All that based on a picture? Really? I couldn't begin to guess at what it tracks at or how it performs based on a single, bad pic. Besides, I haven't seen anything from Mc or it's reps yet that confirms this isnt a joke. For all I know, if it's real, it could destroy everything it competes against, and for some buyers, I would bet it will be the best in the world...I suppose that's all that matters.
 
Back
Top Bottom