• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

McIntosh Turntable Poll

Sorry. Still an ugly bug.

If mc wants it to look like an amp try this......:D

M_laser_Turntable.jpg
 
This is a prototype and some changes will be made in meter lighting and some of the details including the platter illumination and finish.
Ron, based on overwhelming negative reception of this product, not just here but on most other audiophile/enthusiast forums it may need a bit more than just lighting and illumination tweaks. I will not of course debate the performance potential of this TT, we barely have any info to even begin dissecting that issue but the aesthetics of the thing need to be re-thought. I think McIntosh will be able to sell many more units if the product sounds good AND looks appealing. As it stands, I would be worried if it was something "I" was trying to sell.
 
Good grief, it looks even worse from those angles. Is it possible there is a missing piece that covers up the massive depth of the platter and tonearm? It just doesn't look right at all, especially where the top meets the front panel.
 
Good grief, it looks even worse from those angles. Is it possible there is a missing piece that covers up the massive depth of the platter and tonearm? It just doesn't look right at all, especially where the top meets the front panel.

That's just what I thought. The top has to be missing. With the top on, the platter is likely to appear much more proportional. Still, I'm curious about why the platter isn't black, as originally reported. The meter seems a bit overkill. Perhaps if you had a variable speed adjustment feature it might make sense, but that doesn't appear to be the case.
 
Good grief, it looks even worse from those angles. Is it possible there is a missing piece that covers up the massive depth of the platter and tonearm? It just doesn't look right at all, especially where the top meets the front panel.

I too have to agree completely with the above. The front panel is just too tall. :thumbsdn:
 
The more I look at it the funnier it looks!

Getting serious for a second though folks, what I could more envision McIntosh doing, and being more of the Mac style, would be something more along the lines of the VPI HRX.

I'm very certain, and can envision that the Flagship VPI HRX would blend in just beautifully with something like a pair of MasterLu's 1201 Amps, and say a C-46 pre.
(if I had the mad money, that's probably what I'd be owning in fact)

Something like this, in a sandwiched Black Polished Acrylic-Stainless Plinth, or aluminum like the HRX, but not necessarily an X-shaped Base design like the HRX.


And a cool Glass window insert machined into the Acrylic either at the top of the base, or the very front-side bearing the sweet, and classy looking glowing-lit blue-green smallish "McIntosh" logo with perhaps it's own switch-dimmer control. Of course. lets do it right with LEDs the first time out.

Of course, either a beautiful Platter like on the costlier Avids, or again a high luster Black Acyrlic, with Stainless Clamping Puck?

Leave the table open to any arm available, with perhaps seperate, isolated Acrylic Armboard ala VPI.

This Table they made doesn't appear to go with anything McIntosh made, past, or present. Mark
 
I can make no intelligent comment on the design at all, as I have no idea what went into it, and I don't do vinyl anyway. That said, I think the criticism is a bit harsh, and I have some questions:

It does seem like it would be difficult to build a high-end TT in a 17.5" wide space, and is that what this design does?
Every big-name TT is a lot bigger footprint than this is, no? Some vinyl guru correct me if I'm wrong.
Would it be attractive to have an optional MC phono preamp that could be built-in? Lots of space in the chassis, no?

Ron has said this is just a prototype, so the input from here and elsewhere is important, and Mc has shown before that it listens. I, for one, am reluctant to tell them they're not thinking until they're done.


But Ron... THANKS for the announcement of the C-500 and C-2300!!!!! Details, please??
 
Not to put too fine a point on this but those that have seen the table in person, really like it. The reception is beyond our highest expectations. This is why it is the only item from the show that is featured on two different web sites.

Thanks again,
Ron-C
 
Very disappointing.

Looks like a knock-off design wise of the gazillion other high-mass platter belt-drive tables out there. And don't get me started with the stupid blue meter on the front. Nor that arm ... the whole thing looks UGLY.

Geez... its almost as if the marketing brain trust thinks that all they need to do is put a blue meter on something, slap on a McIntosh as well as a high price tag, and devotees will be like bees to honey.

Where is the creativity? A direct-drive would have caught people's attention, vs. yet another high-mass platter pulled by a string.
 
To me it looks like someone ran around and gathered up odd parts around the factory and put them together without consulting a designer. I understand what everything is doing and why and I agree with the engineering but someone needs to make it pretty. I like the glass panel and the platter but having the TT deck a little below the top of the glass front is really ugly!!!! It looks like two different people or departments each worked on their part but, when it came time to put it together, it didn't fit. ..... Oh! I know.... it was inspired by the 1950's table top record players. Does it have a fold down lid? And, don't forget the handle on the side making it portable:lmao::lmao::lmao:

Seriously, I wonder if it has a dust cover but, am afraid what it may look like.

Clyde
 
About 25 years ago, a few guys from Montreal were able to come up with this:

PS_0806.jpg


I think I like Oracle's "vintage" look a lot better. Now that's great design. :tresbon:

Despite the buzz at CEDIA ... I just don't think the Mac is going to win over many vinyl lovers - at least not for its looks. I also doubt its ever going to make it into any design museums either. Sorry for the pounding, but I'm amazed how any one can find the table endearing ... and this is coming from a Mac fan. Pat yourselves on the back if you think its a winner ...
 
Not to put too fine a point on this but those that have seen the table in person, really like it. The reception is beyond our highest expectations. This is why it is the only item from the show that is featured on two different web sites.

Thanks again,
Ron-C

Well maybe it is one of those "it doesn't photograph well" like those photos of Chineese food. The food always taste better than those green tinged photos. I'm not buying into that though. It just doesn't look right and a turntable has to look good along with sounding good. If you other gear doesn't look so good that's not so bad but there is something about watching the record spin and the tonearm moves across the grooves as it follows the :music:. I couldn't sit and watch this thing. :no: Like I said in another post if you are going to do fat platters, do them right IMHO. :D
orbe_millennium.jpg
 
what concerns me even more as well as the looks is Mc's decision to produce its own tonearm and cartridge. Now, admittedly I don't know whether these have been outsourced but tt users enjoy flexibility in choosing these pieces. These are bits if the puzzle that imho mc does not need to necessarily make. There are not many tonearm manufacturers who also make decent cartridges. I am worried that Mc is stretching itself a little too much in such a specialised arena.:scratch2:

howie
 
It does seem like it would be difficult to build a high-end TT in a 17.5" wide space, and is that what this design does?
Every big-name TT is a lot bigger footprint than this is, no? Some vinyl guru correct me if I'm wrong.

Whilst I am definitely no guru, I do know that my avid is smaller than 17.5":yes:

Compare the width with the C2200.

Mcrackaugust20071.jpg
 
Back
Top Bottom