• Please note that Audiokarma will be offline briefly for updates early on Monday morning, September 28th.

MCS 3125 acquired - rare catalog included?

lttnorth

New Member
So against the wishes of my spouse, I jumped on this find on my local Craigslist. It was an okay price but once I saw its condition I didn’t hesitate. This unit is really close to being mint shape with just a few scratches and nicks. The seller took really good care of it and cleaned it thoroughly before it came to me. He was really unhappy to be parting with but he needed the money. Anyway, we all know the 3125 is the sleeping giant etc; I love the sound and even the look of the piece, very different from most other receivers.

B34E5EB2-8530-4342-81A0-84A348AE5239.jpeg

I can also confirm other member’s citings of channel drop-out is consistent with this unit. The seller was forward about it, saying he bathed the unit in deoxit and the defeat switches on the EQ still have a little bit of static. Once the unit warms up after about 15 minutes, the issue seems to be gone.

C01A37A7-199A-4F0C-9B7F-EB5BC8EC6426.jpeg
(looks great in my current setup!)

However what had me most intrigued about this purchase was the paperwork included. This guy claimed to be the original owner, and he had the owner’s manual with warranty card. Good for me, but he also gave me a very nice-looking catalog from J.C. Penney exclusively showing off their MCS gear. Thumbing through it, I can honestly say that I’ve never seen anything like this online. It shows off a lot of equipment, some I already own or have owned. But also some I didn’t ever know existed, like the 6720 quartz-lock TT, the 3865 integrated amp, or those incredible 90-pound 8228 air-suspension speakers. A new goal to attain for sure! But most importantly—at least to me—was the spec chart on the back comparing all the featured equipment. I’ve taken a few pics of the highlights from the catalog. Very valuable information!

0D6BA4DC-4B3B-44EF-9974-283377C987DE.jpeg 07D62083-C4A9-48BF-8A1D-066371935A96.jpeg 2271C444-8E0B-4E61-A8C8-442A508003D3.jpeg 44A69ECA-68E5-4E19-877D-2717D0C8D521.jpeg 2E988102-5116-41E1-B6F6-29A918BF7F1A.jpeg 3081E142-421F-4035-87E9-893D20CC4F32.jpeg D9BA3BDF-DF1F-425C-8A21-251E724597B0.jpeg

Overall, super happy with this purchase! Obviously the best-sounding receiver I’ve ever owned; this is the first time I’ve broken into the 100wpc list. If fellow AKers would like to see more of the catalog and owner’s guide, let me know!
 
Last edited:
Register to hide this ad
Very cool. Is this in your catalog? The MCS VHS taping monitor/vhf-uhf tv/close circuit monitor/ CRT watt meter. The watt meter is the coolest part. It came with NASA stickers on it. Launch pad 6 and dated calibration stickers. I had to have it for its oddity. I had a pair of MCS 3 way speakers that I used for awhile. Not bad sounding. 20171029_103736.jpg
 
Very cool. :thumbsup:

Crackling issue that disappears on warmup sounds like faulty capacitor.

Nice that the owner kept everything together and so well preserved. Great piece of literature too!

I would definitely recommend the speakers be moved off the shelf and away from the turntable. As set up, it's a recipe for horrendous feedback when playing records.
 
Very cool. :thumbsup:

Crackling issue that disappears on warmup sounds like faulty capacitor.

Nice that the owner kept everything together and so well preserved. Great piece of literature too!

I would definitely recommend the speakers be moved away from the turntable. As set up, it's a recipe for horrendous feedback when playing records.
The Sony amp on the bottom of the picture I posted had that crackling sound at warm up even after recapping. It turned out to be dirty gain pots. But an old cap can cause that also. A picture with the top off would be cool to see.
 
I would definitely recommend the speakers be moved off the shelf and away from the turntable. As set up, it's a recipe for horrendous feedback when playing records.

Gotta work with the room I got in this tiny place ;) As it is, I have a dampening pad underneath the deck, and that TT has surprisingly good separation. Hardly any vibration!
 
Very cool. Is this in your catalog? The MCS VHS taping monitor/vhf-uhf tv/close circuit monitor/ CRT watt meter. The watt meter is the coolest part. It came with NASA stickers on it. Launch pad 6 and dated calibration stickers. I had to have it for its oddity. I had a pair of MCS 3 way speakers that I used for awhile. Not bad sounding. View attachment 1034626

No, there wasn’t anything like that in the catalog, no video equipment of any kind actually. That’s an interesting piece!
 
Feedback would be my concern with speakers close to the TT. With nothing playing see if your woofers start pumping as you turn up the volume.
No, there wasn’t anything like that in the catalog, no video equipment of any kind actually. That’s an interesting piece!
You might have a later catalog. This weird piece was made only one year, 1979. The stereo watt meter is cool though. I thought about using a blue filter. Its just a B&W tube. I thought it was strange NASA would use a JC Penny product to monitor a launch pad. :D
 
Very nice! I really like 70s and early 80s MCS stuff. I love my 3248 and am looking at it right now, since it is my computer receiver. Receivers by NEC and turntables and separates by Technics made MCS some seriously good gear, especially for a department store.
22770778_1689205794432694_5285976675656914467_o.jpg
 
Congratulations!
They are a fine piece of gear though people either love 'em or hate 'em because of the face plate design.
I'm one of those guys who keeps mentioning the channel dropouts due to dirty controls as I own two 3125's.
The FM info display in the upper right corner is another place that tends to have problems, like the tuner strength meter (bottom line of the display, under the line with "SIG" in it) is sometimes not working.
LED and dial pointer often don't read the same, that can be adjusted by sliding the pointer on it's string, hardest part of that might be freeing the pointer from the string and it's not that hard.
I've also noticed that volume and balance knobs are often missing or replaced (or all scratched up), your tuning knob appears to be original, not sure about the volume knob.
Fired one of mine up a couple days ago, I do that just to make sure it's working like it should. I should probably start up the other one as it's been a while, maybe a year since I turned that one on.

The brochure is cool and quite rare, nice that it was included.
I tried buying one or two vintage JC Penney catalogs looking for 3125 ads in them but no luck.

BUT---you have the actual OWNERS MANUAL?
Yours would be the FIRST ONE I've heard about.
Never seen one, rare as unicorns.
Could you post a picture of the cover?
How many pages is it?

The service manual is available but the owners manual is not.
 
Awesome acquisition! Welcome the the MCS 3125 club. I hope you enjoy your's as much as I enjoy mine.

If you are going to really listen loud, I would re-arrange your set up. Get the speakers away from the turntable. Especially important, because unlike most of the better NEC made pieces, the 3125 doesn't have a subsonic filter. You might be able to insert one in one of the tape monitor loops. Something that cuts frequencies below 15Hz will help out a lot if you plan to listen to records at high volumes.

That MCS catalog shows some of their 1981 offerings. When I was in college, I collected those catalogs. Befriending the salesman in that department landed me the catalogs from 1979, 1983, 1984, 1985, and 1986. AK member woofercooker also knew this same salesman, and got catalogs from 1981, 1982, and 1983. He was nice enough to let me borrow them, and scan them. Lots of cool info. and specs - but not every model made it into these catalogs. And since their art department put these catalogs together, there are a few mistakes and incorrect specs listed. To get pricing information, you had to refer to the huge JC Penney catalogs. I have a few, and it's fun to see what was offered. Some of the pdf files are a managable size, but some are enormous - too big to email, or post.

Now track down some 8228s and have some major fun (nothing against your 8330s, though)!!
 
Awesome acquisition! Welcome the the MCS 3125 club. I hope you enjoy your's as much as I enjoy mine.

If you are going to really listen loud, I would re-arrange your set up. Get the speakers away from the turntable. Especially important, because unlike most of the better NEC made pieces, the 3125 doesn't have a subsonic filter. You might be able to insert one in one of the tape monitor loops. Something that cuts frequencies below 15Hz will help out a lot if you plan to listen to records at high volumes.

That MCS catalog shows some of their 1981 offerings. When I was in college, I collected those catalogs. Befriending the salesman in that department landed me the catalogs from 1979, 1983, 1984, 1985, and 1986. AK member woofercooker also knew this same salesman, and got catalogs from 1981, 1982, and 1983. He was nice enough to let me borrow them, and scan them. Lots of cool info. and specs - but not every model made it into these catalogs. And since their art department put these catalogs together, there are a few mistakes and incorrect specs listed. To get pricing information, you had to refer to the huge JC Penney catalogs. I have a few, and it's fun to see what was offered. Some of the pdf files are a managable size, but some are enormous - too big to email, or post.

Now track down some 8228s and have some major fun (nothing against your 8330s, though)!!
Do you have a scan of the 1979 catalog?
 
Do you have a scan of the 1979 catalog?


The 1979 catalog is a little beat up - I got it in the fall of 1982 when I bought a 3212 receiver in the clearance section for $22. Just start a conversation with me, and include an email address, and I'll send it your way.
 
If you are going to really listen loud, I would re-arrange your set up. Get the speakers away from the turntable. Especially important, because unlike most of the better NEC made pieces, the 3125 doesn't have a subsonic filter. You might be able to insert one in one of the tape monitor loops. Something that cuts frequencies below 15Hz will help out a lot if you plan to listen to records at high volumes.

Believe me guys, I will spread this whole system out once my wife and I move to a bigger place. I literally don’t have any more space! It’s a miracle I got it to fit as it is right now.

BUT---you have the actual OWNERS MANUAL?
Yours would be the FIRST ONE I've heard about.
Never seen one, rare as unicorns.
Could you post a picture of the cover?
How many pages is it?

The service manual is available but the owners manual is not.

Yes, I do have the Owner’s Manual! It’s a little rough but all the pages appear to be there, including the schematics chart. I’ll try and get some scans later!!
 
Believe me guys, I will spread this whole system out once my wife and I move to a bigger place. I literally don’t have any more space! It’s a miracle I got it to fit as it is right now.



Yes, I do have the Owner’s Manual! It’s a little rough but all the pages appear to be there, including the schematics chart. I’ll try and get some scans later!!

This is exciting, almost like Christmas!
The total number of 3125's made and sold is not known (maybe a bean counter at Penneys 35 years ago knew) but it can't be a huge number.
A couple reasons for that might be the $899 price for a "store brand" receiver that many people consider ugly.
Since they weren't sold in large numbers original boxes and owners manuals are almost non existent.
 
They sold pretty good here before the Mall Penny's was in flooded after the levy broke. Penny's never reopened after.
 
Can't wait to see the whole system. Pics inside and out. The VTR looks neat. Maybe someone needed the coverage and that was the cheapest/fasted way to get it up and running using OTC components. This is the first time I heard of anyone having the owners manual- lucky!. And having the catalogs. Gotta post them up.
 
Back
Top Bottom