• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

MCS 3125 acquired - rare catalog included?

Congrats on your purchase and thank you so much for the effort to get that manual out to us. I was lucky enough to get a 3125 in terrific shape at a great price recently and use it as my main rig along with an MCS 6700 TT. Everything worked great except the occasional channel dropout from those darned defeat switches. Getting at them for a spraydown requires some delicate disassembly, including messing with the tuner knob string pulleys.I wonder if your seller went that far? I did and it did indeed help a lot. The procedure is well documented here in AK. Thank you MCS guy for this step by step procedure!

http://audiokarma.org/forums/index.php?threads/mcs-3125-control-cleaning.49994/

I think the "capable of up to 200 wpc" comment came from actual lab testing rather than specs from NEC or MCS. I have run mine up to the clip indicator occasionally flashing with capable speakers. If I recall correctly it was between 1/2 and 3/4 volume on the knob. Enjoy your purchase. My kids might sell mine but I never will. Here are some nudie pics from when I was cleaning it though the insides looked darned near brand new20170916_155442.jpg
20170916_155459.jpg 20170916_155520.jpg 20170916_155619.jpg 20170916_155640.jpg 20170916_155714.jpg 20170916_203536.jpg 20170916_203603.jpg 20170916_225033.jpg 20170916_203615.jpg .
 

YES!
I checked a couple days ago and it was not yet posted.
Thanks again Ittnorth.

In the thread about cleaning the controls I can't stress enough how important it is to secure the dial string with tape at each pulley or contact point.
Restringing a dial string is no fun and can be easily avoided by taking that precaution.

TomBig58, it REALLY does say "capability of music power output more than 200 wpc at full volume" in the user manual.
Section 1
Caution
b

So now we know where that came from.


Another interesting (to me) fact from the manual
Section 13 Description
125 wpc minimum
Had never seen "minimum" posted before.
Might seem like a small detail but it means the 3125 was under rated though we don't know by how much.
 
Last edited:
A report of 200wpc is entirely relative to the sensitivity of the speaker and the impedance of the speakers.
 
Yes, of course.
"music power output" could be some sort of techno babble along the lines of all the various output power "ratings" types that have been used through the years.
Could be marketing fluff, could be corporate CYA.
I've see the 200 wpc bandied about on the internet with claims it came from the owners manual.
Now proof exists that is where it originated.
 
I read the review from the link provided by telemike before but missed this part. In answer to questions about the 8/4 ohm impedance switch this is what they had to say....

"The remaining light is labeled clipping, and it flashes when the output stages are driven to the clipping point. This light operates in conjunction with a front-panel switch marked impedance and is associated with the adjacent speaker selector. It is marked for 8 and 4 ohms, but the instruction manual makes no mention of its function. It does not seem to affect the amplifier operation, but merely changes the sensitivity of the clipping light to suit either 8- or 4-ohm loads."

The results of the lab testing for the 3125 in this review really stands as a testament to the quality of this receiver.
 
Awesome acquisition! Welcome the the MCS 3125 club. I hope you enjoy your's as much as I enjoy mine.

If you are going to really listen loud, I would re-arrange your set up. Get the speakers away from the turntable. Especially important, because unlike most of the better NEC made pieces, the 3125 doesn't have a subsonic filter. You might be able to insert one in one of the tape monitor loops. Something that cuts frequencies below 15Hz will help out a lot if you plan to listen to records at high volumes.

That MCS catalog shows some of their 1981 offerings. When I was in college, I collected those catalogs. Befriending the salesman in that department landed me the catalogs from 1979, 1983, 1984, 1985, and 1986. AK member woofercooker also knew this same salesman, and got catalogs from 1981, 1982, and 1983. He was nice enough to let me borrow them, and scan them. Lots of cool info. and specs - but not every model made it into these catalogs. And since their art department put these catalogs together, there are a few mistakes and incorrect specs listed. To get pricing information, you had to refer to the huge JC Penney catalogs. I have a few, and it's fun to see what was offered. Some of the pdf files are a managable size, but some are enormous - too big to email, or post.

Now track down some 8228s and have some major fun (nothing against your 8330s, though)!!
Do you have any info on the MCS 3245 in those catalogs? There was 2 different versions and they are listed in Sam's Photofacts 1979 and 1980 issues. I can't find any specs on either. Thanks
 
Do you have any info on the MCS 3245 in those catalogs? There was 2 different versions and they are listed in Sam's Photofacts 1979 and 1980 issues. I can't find any specs on either. Thanks


LOL - I'm replying to your post in the MCS 3245 thread right now. Check that thread in a while.....
 
I picked up one today, seems working well. One question for the owners, does fhe FM handle stations with HD subchannel well? Mine seems has some noise, but I did not have a proper FM antenna yet....
Thank you
 

Attachments

  • wx_camera_1520566415013.jpg
    wx_camera_1520566415013.jpg
    60.9 KB · Views: 24
I picked up one today, seems working well. One question for the owners, does fhe FM handle stations with HD subchannel well? Mine seems has some noise, but I did not have a proper FM antenna yet....
Thank you
I'm a fossil, a dinosaur. Not up to date with all the new do-dads and thingies. Did a quick Google for FM with HD. Unless you have a separate tuner that does HD i *think* you will only get what would be the HD1 signal.
As for FM noise, an antenna should help, even if it's a (T) dipole or a set of rabbit ears.
 
Thank you for replying, the noise is still there after I got the antenna, I think it has something to do with the HD sub-channels. But still enjoyable.
 
Back
Top Bottom